Parents Year 2008 and 2009 gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We're late 2007, but I think I might fit in in this group better because my daughter just started and is in development class

Try the 2006-2007 group first and if you really feel you don't fit then you're welcome to join here, but the idea is that it is age based for non-gym developmental reasons, not skills based. This is why we moved away from the pre-team group to ages.

There will be others in the 2006-2007 group who are also new to gym. Because yours is older, she will probably progress faster than the little ones do, most people who start later seem to more rapidly gain skills because they are a bit older and stronger and generally more mature so pay more attention.

You might find that she's is still put on team a lot earlier than the majority of kids in the 2008-2009 group, many of who have also just started and then you might want to be with mothers of the slightly older kids. She might learn heaps in the next 3 months. Or she might not and then you might want to talk to other parents of 7 year olds who have only just started.

There is a big gap developmentally between a 7 year old and kids who are still 5 in the 2008-2009 group. Yet some of the 5 year olds are doing back handsprings and cartwheels on beam and training 12 hours a week (maybe more?) so the mix of skills of the kids in both groups is actually pretty similar, from beginners to more advanced.

@Mrs. Puma , what do you think?

Thanks yeah im in that one and it seems good, just that my daughter is behind everyone. But maybe she'll catch up:)

Thanks yeah im in that one and it seems good, just that my daughter is behind everyone. But maybe she'll catch up:)
You don't *know* that she is behind everyone. There are people there with less skills, who probably aren't posting because they are intimidated and would love to talk about how it feels to have a kid just starting. We still have that mix in the younger group, with kids learning everything from rolls down a wedge to learning cast to handstands and front tucks on floor. Moving down an age group won't solve that problem.
In the younger age group we're more likely to talk about how to stop your kid from dribbling food into their leotard in the car than in the older one though :)
Be brave and start a discussion there. There *are* plenty of kids who start at 7 or later, but CB might give the impressing that everyone starts at birth.
You could even start a new group for kids under say 7-9 who are just starting. Then people could join both. I think there would be a lot of value in that.

Hi, a late joiner! May I have an invite please? Hoping there are other boys - DS is '09 and almost 6. Doing 1 hour rec, probably moving to 2 hours next year.

thanks!

Reactions: COz
I'd love to have an invite! Dd is 09. I have just figured out how to get to social groups on my phone so I thought I'd ask.

Reactions: COz

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back