Parents The saga continues - advice please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CLgym

Proud Parent
About 6 weeks ago, I posted that I was worried my DD (6 yrs old and on pre-team) would be directed to Xcel rather than JO -- DD is very focused and clear that she wants to complete Level 3. The overwhelming advice from this board was to talk to the coaches. I reached out to the gym via email to ask for a meeting. I never got my meeting, but had a nice email exchange and expressed DD's goal. Several weeks later we received a verbal invite to JO for the summer. DD was super excited when I told her! For the next several weeks, there was some gym drama over pre-team placements for other girls. Then, earlier this week, I was pulled in for a meeting with the pre-team coach and JO team manager and told the HC had changed his mind and DD would be placed in Xcel Bronze. When I asked why, DD's age was referenced ("old"). I pointed out there was at least one other same-aged child moving to JO, but was given no other explanation despite my pressing. In fact, both the manager and pre-team coach expressed they wanted JO for DD too. I asked about meeting with the HC, but manager said they would talk with the HC and get back to me. I suspect I will not hear back. DD is a hard worker and good gymnast (she started just a little over a year ago in rec, and was spotted and moved to pre-team) -- but, if I'm honest, she is not a phenom. Her current gym has a highly selective and successful JO program, and a solid Xcel program too. It is also less than mile from my home (next closest gyms would be 25-30 minute drive). Also should mention that DD (along with all of her pre-team peers) is missing some of her Level 3 skills -- some have not even been introduced yet although they've been training/conditioning for all. If she had been invited JO she probably would have trained for another year before competing. On Xcel Bronze, I think she might actually have a few meets, and maybe will learn the Level 3 routines (Not 100% sure about this - still waiting for more info based on several questions I emailed -- but it was mentioned in passing). One other positive for Xcel is that the schedule would allow DD to stay involved in several other activities.

Here are my questions: Should I just make Xcel work -- talk it up and get DD on board? Or should I look elsewhere for a JO program despite the distance? Or maybe try Xcel for a year (get those missing level 3 skills), and then revisit the issue next year? I am trying very hard to take my emotions out of the equation (but, believe me, I'm not a happy camper over how this was handled).

Also, for those wondering, DD took news of the flip-flop remarkably well (a few tears the day after, but not bad). Kids are resilient!

I would look at other options. Just the way this was handled would make me distrustful of the way decisions are made/who's making them. And give me a break -- 6 years old is not "OLD" for L3. What in the world??

My dd never did pre-team at all --- walked in for a rec class at 7.5, moved to the (old) L4 training group within a few weeks and started her first competition season just as she turned 8. She is 11 now and has full L8 skills and some L9, so that is a bunch of hooey they're feeding you there. Yes, my dd's progression is not typical, but it seems really odd that they've gone back and forth with you and other families on what should be a pretty straight-forward and simple decision. I am sure they have their reasons -- whatever they may be -- but I would look elsewhere, even if it is just to satisfy your curiosity to know what is available.

Good luck to your daughter!

Here are my questions: Should I just make Xcel work -- talk it up and get DD on board? Or should I look elsewhere for a JO program despite the distance? Or maybe try Xcel for a year (get those missing level 3 skills), and then revisit the issue next year? I am trying very hard to take my emotions out of the equation (but, believe me, I'm not a happy camper over how this was handled).

6 year old is too old??!! Crazy!!

Being in Xcel, she might get her level 3 skills on the floor and beam, but most likely not on bars. Xcel Bronze bars routine can be very simple - pullover, BHC, dismount. I'm pretty sure they won't be working on mill circle or FHC. So, transitioning from Xcel Bronze to L3 can still be pretty hard, saying from experience.
If you and her really want her to compete JO, and you can make the longer drive work, I strongly suggest checking out another gym now, and not wait a year.

My advice is not to expect any mobility between the two programs. If you are willing to drive, I'd have her evaluated elsewhere. She is 6 and there is no way that should shut her out of JO. That is the absolute youngest you can be. My Dd would have been shut out of her preschool gym. They were not interested in her. The gym down the road put her on preteam. She competed level 4 as a young 8 year old this year, went undefeated on vault all year including State, and beat all the Level 4 s from that team in the all around at State. She is too young to be shut out of JO, period. I would find another gym.

Can she try out at another gym without having all of her level 3 skills yet? Also, isn't there a risk that the current gym will find out and get upset (pull the Xcel offer)?

Can she try out at another gym without having all of her level 3 skills yet? Also, isn't there a risk that the current gym will find out and get upset (pull the Xcel offer)?

Yes to try outs, and now is the perfect timing, since the season is over or almost over, and there is still plenty of time before the next season begins to get the missing skills.

And yes, there is a risk that the current gym will find out. So, you have to decide if JO is what you really want for your daughter.

If the Xcel program is good I might be inclined to take that team position and look for a JO program next year when she has all of her skills. Since she's fairly new to gym and it's close to your house, let her get more skills and experience.

JMO opinion here. Xcel is not bad, not being in JO is not bad.

She is 6, these are not lifetime decisions.

What is bad is that a coach would say 6 is too old. There might be an age where its too old to be a level 3. I am not sure where that line would be. I guess it would depend on the expectations. But 6 ain't it.

And that is why I would be looking for a new gym. Because the coach seems to be less then stellar or at the very least inflexible or a liar.

Now if it were because she doesn't have the skills that would be different, but then I would expect a good coach to say so. And take it from there.

Time to go to another gym. Strike 1: the way they suddenly changed their mind, without thought to your daughter's feelings. Strike 2: Not being available to meet with you. Strike 3: Saying she's too hold at 6. Do you want your daughter spending upwards of 20 hours a week with these people in the future? They don't sound trustworthy.

My advice is not to expect any mobility between the two programs. If you are willing to drive, I'd have her evaluated elsewhere. She is 6 and there is no way that should shut her out of JO. That is the absolute youngest you can be. My Dd would have been shut out of her preschool gym. They were not interested in her. The gym down the road put her on preteam. She competed level 4 as a young 8 year old this year, went undefeated on vault all year including State, and beat all the Level 4 s from that team in the all around at State. She is too young to be shut out of JO, period. I would find another gym.
I agree with this. Check out other gyms but be aware that there could quickly come a time when she won't have time for lots of other activities.

I think it's fine to keep an open mind about Xcel but also check out other options. It does seem pretty strange the way they handle things. But maybe she will do well in the Xcel program and love it. I have to assume they have her best interests as far as where her placement fits on their team in mind so maybe the JO Level 3 program at their gym truly isn't right for her for some reason, in which case to stay at this gym I guess she will have to start in Xcel. But maybe at another gym she will fit with the JO 3s better.

Xcel isn't a bad thing necessarily but I don't like how they changed their minds like that. Maybe they filled up their JO team? No idea but it's not that she's too old. I would visit another gym & just have her evaluated.

I admit, I don't get the "age" thing that the U.S. is obsessed with? Is it because you guys have college gymnastics and such to strive for? My DD walked onto an NDP team at age 9 with no gymnastics experience. I also know a 13yo who joined NDP4 with no experience either. But 99.9% of gymnasts here won't go anywhere with it.

I think if your dd has her heart set on JO, you should probably look around at other gyms. You said that the gym you are at right now has a highly competitive JO team and it sounds like they are pretty strict about starting by a certain age (6) and your dd probably won't be ready until she is 7. At least that's how I understand what you wrote? I honestly don't think she'll be invited to the JO team at that particular gym with their strict requirements if she does Xcel Bronze this season. I'm not sure how your area is, but I know at our gym if she doesn't have all the level 3 skills by around now, she wouldn't be competing this coming level 3 season either. So, I am not sure that switching gyms at this point will actually get her on a team to compete in the fall. But I think it would probably be necessary to switch for her to compete level 3 next year if that is what she wants.

Also, are any of the kids in preteam moving to the JO level 3 team? If so, are the ones that are moving up younger? Are some staying on preteam and not going to Xcel or JO? You mention that none of them have certain bar skills. That seems strange if the point of the preteam is to prepare them for the level 3 team, why wouldn't they have introduced all the skills they would need?

@mom2newgymnast -- You understood correctly. DD will probably not be ready to compete Level 3 until age 7. I also agree that she will never be invited to compete JO at the current gym (the door closed, I believe, when they flip-flopped and offered her Xcel instead of JO for the summer).

Regarding her pre-team, there are currently 8 girls in the group -- 4 girls (including DD) will be moved to Xcel Bronze. All of these girls are age 6. Strangely, these girls also seem to have the highest skill level as a group. One girl will be moved to rec (and is actually leaving the gym as a result). The remaining 3 girls were offered JO for the summer. Two of the girls in this group are very young and talented for their age (they are currently in preschool -- one just turned 5 a few weeks ago!). The third is actually a month older than DD. She is a bit of a mystery to me. Very flexible. Tiny. Perfect gymnast body. But she does not seem to have the skills or form of the soon-to-be Xcel Bronze group. Of course, I'm not a gymnast or a coach. Obviously they see something special in her.

The girls moving into JO will actually move to a "level 3 prep" group for awhile where they will train and prepare for level 3. It seems that most girls spend nearly a year in this prep group. Sometimes a girl will move directly from this prep group into level 4 (and never compete level 3).

DD's current pre-team is focused on conditioning and form, more than acquiring level 3 skills. DD and her pre-team group spend a great deal of time doing pull-ups, sit-ups, climbing ropes, etc. They do hundreds of handstands with all of these steps needed for "perfect" form. I don't know. I am not a gymnast at all. And they also work on level 1-3 skills. She has all of her level 3 floor skills except the ROBHS (they are working on standing BHS with a spot). She has all of her level 3 bar skills except the front hip circle and front mill circle (they just started working on the front mill circle). They hardly ever work on vault. She has all of her level 3 beam skills except for the dismount.

I guess I'm confused or concerned that she is not ready to "try out" for level 3 because the current gym really puts conditioning and form over skills. Which is why I was thinking that a year in Xcel might be smart. (Xcel seems to focus on skills over perfect form and conditioning). I honestly don't know what I'm doing... this is a whole new world for me. Which is why I ended up here, looking for advice :) Thanks for the help so far!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back