Parents Need advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Based on what went on in preteam at my daughter's old gym, the talented young ones tended to pick up floor skills and vault relatively quickly but still needed time to get the skills on bars and beam. There were often form issues with the floor skills too. This caused the parents to get frustrated that the kids weren't immediately put on team (she is doing ROBHSx2 so why isn't she in L4?) or sometimes to think that the kids were behind on bars, when in reality they were just ahead of themselves on floor.

Based on what went on in preteam at my daughter's old gym, the talented young ones tended to pick up floor skills and vault relatively quickly but still needed time to get the skills on bars and beam. There were often form issues with the floor skills too. This caused the parents to get frustrated that the kids weren't immediately put on team (she is doing ROBHSx2 so why isn't she in L4?) or sometimes to think that the kids were behind on bars, when in reality they were just ahead of themselves on floor.
You she this a lot with girls that have a cheer background.

I agree that being in a group where you are behind the other girls can be really hard in a lot of ways. Part of the reason that the kip is such a tough skill is that there is an aspect of muscle strength -- you could have the ability to do it but not the strength yet. And strength takes time -- there is no way to short cut it.

My daughter was with girls that were older through the first several years of gymnastics. Our gym didn't start a team until she was in a L6 rec class (she was so upset that they made her go back and start at L3 for competition!). In that class she was 8 or 9 and most of the other girls were at least 13. In fact, they called it a "high school class". Every time they had a sub coach, the coach would tell her she must be in the wrong class! Anyway, I was concerned about the age gap -- mostly I worried that she would learn non-gymnastics things that she (or maybe *I*) wasn't ready for. Wasn't ever a problem. A couple of times the language got a little adult but the coach nipped it really fast and from then on the older girls were really considerate of her.

I'm very new to gymnastics. My DD is 7 & just started to workout with the Excel Silver team at our gym but they are using it as a pre team for her (I'll get to that later).
My DD flew through the rec. levels at our gym, went from new level 2 to 4 in less then 6 months & only 3 hours at the gym per week. She's a beast! They finally moved her on to the excel silver team and are using it as a pre team because they don't currently have a JO pre team.
How do they get new girls on the team without a pre-team?

Good question... They don't. From what I understand the L4 team was the preteam until a couple of months ago. Not all of them competed and the ones that did didn't do every event. That's why I want my DD with them. I did watch her practice for the first time this week & she needs a lot of work on the beam. Hopefully everything will workout & she'll be on the L4 team soon.

Here has been my DD experience. Bars matter. Maybe more than the other events. If you have bar skills they move you up as long as other skills are reasonably close. If bar skills are behind the rest of the event skills you wait. That has been her experience anyway.

The impt thing here is how xcel works in this particular gym. I would argue that at 6 she doesn't need to compete yet. Another year of preteam working on level 3 and 4 skills would be best. Xcel bronze at our gym is very rudimentary. There is no way you would be ready for level 3 after a year in our gym's Bronze team. They get the skills they need to compete and work on routines. They aren't even thinking about kips on that level. It is meant for kids who would and do struggle getting higher level skills. Now, this may not be the case at your gym, but it is impt to find out. This is not a put down of Xcel, but more a will it lead DD to where she wants to be? Your team may do things very differently, and have lots of crossover between the 2 programs.

The impt thing here is how xcel works in this particular gym. I would argue that at 6 she doesn't need to compete yet. Another year of preteam working on level 3 and 4 skills would be best. Xcel bronze at our gym is very rudimentary. There is no way you would be ready for level 3 after a year in our gym's Bronze team. They get the skills they need to compete and work on routines. They aren't even thinking about kips on that level. It is meant for kids who would and do struggle getting higher level skills. Now, this may not be the case at your gym, but it is impt to find out. This is not a put down of Xcel, but more a will it lead DD to where she wants to be? Your team may do things very differently, and have lots of crossover between the 2 programs.
No, for this case the most important thing is that they said she is too old for JO. So joining Xcel means staying Xcel at this gym. The child wants to compete JO, and thus it's probably best to go to a gym where that is an option.

I would agree with this. At our gym, DD was an Xcel Bronze but was clearly ready for more. I feel like she spent a year that she could have been uptraining on skills she had at the beginning of training. That said, what Xcel gave DD was experience competing. She was PETRIFIED of that and part of the intensity of L3 scared her because of that. I won't say her time on Xcel was wasted simply for that reason alone. But for skill development, it was a waste of time. After regionals, she moved over to L3 and the season is essentially back to back. In the 2 months she had to learn the L3 routines her skill set exploded. It really made me realize how much further along she could have been.

My DD IS 7 and has been put on Excel Silver as a preteam. This is the first time the gym has done something like this so it's unchartered territory. I've been reassured by a couple of coaches that she will have the opportunity to move to JO because she's only 7. The HC, however, is not good at communicating & has not told me anything. I really like most of the coaches at this gym so I hope it all works out. But, there is a gym about 30mins. away that does have a level 3 team & I plan on having her evaluated there just in case.

Neither of the 2 gyms we have been at/or are at have anything called a preteam. Both gyms start JO at level 2
Again, levels 1-3 are developmental levels, meant to be "gain experience" levels. See page 75 (Chapter 8)

There are no official requirements at these levels beyond meeting skills as per the coach and minimum age.

It gets "official" at level 4

https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2014_2015_w_rulespolicies.pdf

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back