Parents Watching practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At DD's old gym there was no viewing area so I would just drop her off and leave and it was close to our house. The new gym is a lot further away and they have a viewing area so I tend to stay and watch depending on what my other children's schedules are like.

Thanks for the replies and encouragement! I had started to feel guilty either way--staying or leaving. It's good to see how others balance it, and start figuring out what that'll look like for us. My daughter is almost 6...the youngest one in the group due to her summer birthday. But there are a couple of others from her grade moving up with her. Our gym tends to take kids through the lower levels, young--but they do offer a choice to do XCEL Silver in between L2 and 3 if L3 turns out to be too overwelming. Right now she's adamant about doing L3 and so far has been hanging in there great, as they have started tougher conditioning, etc. We'll see how things progress.....I will aim to stay for a portion of each practice to gauge how she's adjusting, I guess-- And because she gets so excited for me to watch her doing new skills. I'm going to wean it like you guys described. Balance is the goal--for the sanity of our family :)

Guess im gonna have to have a talk with thee DH about just dropping off, (we get there a little early) so maybe staying with her till they start, and then going somewhere and then coming back for the last few minutes. We were just worried about leaving her there, but as I am reading it looks like its good for her.

Guess im gonna have to have a talk with thee DH about just dropping off, (we get there a little early) so maybe staying with her till they start, and then going somewhere and then coming back for the last few minutes. We were just worried about leaving her there, but as I am reading it looks like its good for her.

I think it depends very much on the child, the gym and the family. And perhaps what you are anxious about. If your child is young and wants you there, that's one decision. I have a 12 year old who could care less if I'm there or not. If you are worried about her safety, her coach's behavior, or another child on the team teasing or something, then that's a different set of factors. If you think the coach or gym won't communicate a potential injury to you, then I'd probably look for a different gym, but that would be me. Also factoring in there would be, what would you be doing if you weren't at practice and does being at practice impact other kids in the family? Even if my child wanted me there, if it was a negative impact on the rest of the family then it might be time to explore dropping off.

I haven't stayed to watch since rec! When she started team (at 8), I would watch maybe the first 10 minutes, while chatting with other moms who were dropping off as well. Then I used to watch the last 5 or 10 at pick up.

Now, at age 15, I've long since been doing the drop off/pick up line! Her gym actually requests this of all team families as the waiting room is typically filled with rec parents.

I figure I get to watch at meets….and if there is a real issue, the coach will call or have her call! I've only gotten a call 3 times….never good :-( those are the times I go in and assess with the coach if an ER trip is really necessary or if it can wait till morning. Thankfully, we've always waited until morning.

I think it depends very much on the child, the gym and the family. And perhaps what you are anxious about. If your child is young and wants you there, that's one decision. I have a 12 year old who could care less if I'm there or not. If you are worried about her safety, her coach's behavior, or another child on the team teasing or something, then that's a different set of factors. If you think the coach or gym won't communicate a potential injury to you, then I'd probably look for a different gym, but that would be me. Also factoring in there would be, what would you be doing if you weren't at practice and does being at practice impact other kids in the family? Even if my child wanted me there, if it was a negative impact on the rest of the family then it might be time to explore dropping off.

The gym is ok, other parents drop and leave, and there are no problems. DD is almost 9. If I wasnt at practice during the summer months I would either be fishing near the gym or walking through walmart, no other kids in family to impact.

The gym is ok, other parents drop and leave, and there are no problems. DD is almost 9. If I wasnt at practice during the summer months I would either be fishing near the gym or walking through walmart, no other kids in family to impact.

My daughter is a young Level 3 (going into next season). She's only been practicing about 4-5 hours /week so far at Level 2. My husband and I split the time at practice so that one of us is always there. She likes that we watch; and I have to say-- I really enjoy it too! I have other children though who join me. They have fun with other siblings, etc...but do reach their limit. As pr actice time increases to 8-9 hours this next year--I know I'm going to have to start dropping her off some-- for the sake of my other kiddos. It's not fair to them--as they haven't chosen the sport. But I'm nervous. She doesn't really need me there the whole time--I'm sure coaches would call me if there was an emergency-- it's mostly just me being anxious. I drop her off at school--but that feels different--they don't fly off of high equipment there:). How do you all balance watching practice with other family demands etc. What age/other factors helped you feel better about leaving them at the gym?

I remember being where you are now. Mine was 5 at the time, and it seemed almost unimaginable to just leave her alone for hours. I was reassured that she would be fine-and she was-but in answer to your question, I didn't really feel *comfortable* with it until we found a good gym with understanding coaches who I trusted. She has both developmental and health issues above and beyond the average child, and I needed that relationship with a coach who would listen to me and be patient with her and allow for her medical needs. Once I saw this was happening, I was truly comfortable leaving.

That's not to say I didn't still enjoy watching, I did, but after a while it gets boring. When the compete you are seeing them regularly at competitions. That has become enough. That and watching her play and show off on our trampoline at home. Recently our gym did a "team parent observation" time (watching is not usually allowed), and I went a few times, and though it was kind of fun, I have to say that it's really not a good idea because the more I watch, the more I feel the crazy gym mom in me trying to rear her ugly head. Staying home ultimately helps all involved stay happier and calmer. It will be ok!

It's not a choice at our gym we are not allowed to watch! There is a waiting room those that live too far away to consider going home during practice wait in (I live 45 mins away if the traffic is nice to me). I go out some of the time to the shop or for a pedicure etc but I try not go go out too much as I just spend money!
We get to watch class twice a year then get to watch the club champs & the christmas displays. My DD loves us watching when we get to. :)

We have a viewing area. I go workout and/or run errands, and then come back. My situation is different. My kid likes me there in that I am her security blanket. I will not explain why, but suffice it to say this is why we chose the gym in the first place. We have made huge progress in this area. I went from being in the mommy and me class (where I tore my toenail off from the beam and knocked the wind out of myself turning too quick and running into the bars) to sitting on the downstairs bleachers for the pre k class. Then I sat again for the preterm class and once she was on team I was able to leave without her being too upset if it was for a short period. I am now up to being able to gone for half the practice without her being upset...as long as I am back by break she is ok. The coach could care less if I am there because I don't interact with my kid other than to smile when she smiles at me...I am busy knitting or doing work...I watch quietly.

Break away from watching now, while you still can. Trust me, there will come a time when you really do not want to watch. That will be right around when they start working on the flyaway (bars) for level 5. Or standing back tuck on beam. Or the back walkover back handspring on beam. Or yurchenko drills. These are all thing that will terrify you as a parent.

Yes you have a few years before DD starts in on those. But like high school, it will be here before you know it.

Once you do stop watching on a regular basis, you should still keep your ears open to find out when she picks up a new skill. Even though I stopped watching regularly, I still went in to take video of her first kip, roundoff/back-hand-spring/back-tuck, giant, and a few other things. I love watching those videos.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back