School and Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD had Friday afternoon off school every week for the whole of last term. We were given a letter from the gym for school and they authorised it as education off site I think. We said we would make sure she caught up on any work missed, but they approved it without batting an eyelid. I think I had more trouble deciding whether it was the right thing to do or not.

My dd has an afternoon of school every week for gym, she's done this for over a year now, she's allowed time of for extra training if needed on the run up to competitions and has previously competed on a school day. The school are fantastic and allow it without having to get a letter from coach. All her gym goes done as an approved sporting event and doesn't effect her attendance. I do send photos and keep them informed of how comps go so they can keep a record if needed. I don't know about g&t, I was told she was for PE when she was in reception, but it's never been mentioned again

Don't know about G&T but my DD's school let me collect her 15 mins early on her 2 school day gym days as we wouldn't make class on time if not. When I viewed the school & was shown around in my meeting with the head I specifically asked if it would be allowed & she said as it wasn't a 'general' class she would have no issue at all allowing her early release & I just emailed her when the sessions increased & she just authorised it CCing my daughters class teacher & I just go in early the office phone up to her class & then she comes down & we leave.
Long way off /if ever for competitions for her as she's only in year 1 but I'm sure the head would be just as accommodating.

I think your view changes when they get older. In yr 3 Pink used to have Wednesday pm's off for training as she couldn't cope with late night training on a Friday. Since club change, time out of gym and advancing years we no longer miss school. She was asked to attend a Friday afternoon session instead of Friday evening, but as she is year 6 moving to year 7 in September and will never be national level I do not think its appropriate.

I think your view changes when they get older. In yr 3 Pink used to have Wednesday pm's off for training as she couldn't cope with late night training on a Friday. Since club change, time out of gym and advancing years we no longer miss school. She was asked to attend a Friday afternoon session instead of Friday evening, but as she is year 6 moving to year 7 in September and will never be national level I do not think its appropriate.
Wow I'm surprised your school allowed her out if she wasn't on national squad or had the potential to be (this is just what I have gathered from you post, if I have got this wrong please do not take it the wrong way) the schools around where we are are sooo strict on when a kid can and cannot come out of school, you are only allowed out if child has high potential to be on national squad or is in national squad, anyone else is a complete no no!

nope, no national squad or near it - she was aiming for maybe comp 4 back then, but the girls from our current gym who take Friday pm off most are doing regional grades. I genuinely think the school has no idea of levels and anyone who can R/O flick tuck back MUST be going to the olympics !

nope, no national squad or near it - she was aiming for maybe comp 4 back then, but the girls from our current gym who take Friday pm off most are doing regional grades. I genuinely think the school has no idea of levels and anyone who can R/O flick tuck back MUST be going to the olympics !
Wow regional grades? Our girls who do national grades are not even allowed out, ones who have been top 10 placed at nationals either! It's crazy how different schools in different parts of the country do things!

There's a club a friends dd is at. They regularly take their girls out of school.

None are elite or even compulsory. Some have done grades, some regional l5. Her region is so competitive though, they train 20 hrs for that level.

I don't know how they spin it, as margo says, must be cartwheel= Olympics syndrome.

I know, but also a lot of the parents don't have a scooby either, I try and educate them but its hard to tell someone their wunderkind aint all that without them thinking its sour grapes. They get caught up in the "Wow, look at little Suzie", but don't realise in the big bad world there are hundreds just like Suzie.

I don't think any one gets gymnastics until they are in the system. And if you try and explain it so they can actually understand then it gets too complicated and their eyes glaze over. I try using conference league football as an example - good, but not professional and not up there with the premier league.
I just seem to spend half my time telling people that my daughter isn't that good which is a shame as I am still impressed by what she can do - she's just not going to the Olympics!

coach 1234 - my daughter is only a regional grade gymnast ('so far' according to her!) and we did it for tiredness reasons too. I think a lot of schools have achievers assemblies and things on a Friday so don't get too upset at them missing that. As long as they have a code on their register that doesn't upset their absence figures then they don't mind! I suspect had she been in a SATS year they would have been more bothered.

I don't think any one gets gymnastics until they are in the system. And if you try and explain it so they can actually understand then it gets too complicated and their eyes glaze over. I try using conference league football as an example - good, but not professional and not up there with the premier league.
I just seem to spend half my time telling people that my daughter isn't that good which is a shame as I am still impressed by what she can do - she's just not going to the Olympics!

coach 1234 - my daughter is only a regional grade gymnast ('so far' according to her!) and we did it for tiredness reasons too. I think a lot of schools have achievers assemblies and things on a Friday so don't get too upset at them missing that. As long as they have a code on their register that doesn't upset their absence figures then they don't mind! I suspect had she been in a SATS year they would have been more bothered.
We have tried to get our national girls out before and there is only one school that would allow it so had to stop it as it was only like 2 girls who could come out from their group

The hpc up the road from me requires that you attend a certain school because they have a deal with them and I'm pretty sure all the squad girls miss at least 2 mornings or afternoons regardless of which school you attend

Out of interest when do you think it is 'ok' to take children out of school for gym ie: age/level?

Out of interest when do you think it is 'ok' to take children out of school for gym ie: age/level?
Personally I don't think that anyone who is doing anything under national grades, if then it's depends on how good the child is and what their potential is, if you think they are going to do well in challenge then they should come out if not then there's no point what so ever! If they are not going to get at a high level then I feel school is much more important, if they come out of school and miss lessons for them to the only come 20th at challenge then what's the point? They are not going to make a career out of gymnastics so they should get the best possible grades they can!

I think I kind of agree. But then again, for able children they really don't lose out from missing an afternoon a week at primary school. I think the whole thing changes at secondary school when you do miss work and it could affect your grades.
For us DD was less tired, and therefore was healthier and also probably got more out of school when she had one less late night of gym each week. I wouldn't expect that option to be there, but because it was it was definitely in her best interests. Not to further her gymnastics career, but basically because she was going to do that number of hours anyway, so it was the best fit for a balanced life.
But I think of school as an experience and not really teaching her much at this age.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back