Parents Is it customary to give coaches a gift?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Though I will add, if a parent cannot afford a gift there is no reason why a small thank you note or a batch of cookies cannot be really appreciated either. I would prefer not to be in a gym with obligatory gift donations, nicer when it comes from the heart.

Can you come across as any more rude and opinionated. I mean, I get what you're saying but really? There are people that truly struggle for their child to do the activity, extras add up. Is one $20 payment a hardship? Probably not, but if it's one of many extras it adds up. Also, some people carefully budget, and budget out the tuition fees etc, extras can end up being just that extras beyond their budget.

As well the OP asked a general question to understand what might be normal/expected, presumably to plan ahead. Second, some of the above posters are asked to pay far more than $20/year for a gifts. Where is the limit on it not being okay?

I was not trying to come off as rude that's why I mentioned it in my previous post. It is frustrating on my end that some parents won't pony up the extra $20. Forcing other parents to pick up the slack.

Everyone should carefully budget. For whatever idiotic reason ppl think a budget is for ppl who don't have money. A budget is you telling your money where it's going. Something that is a fantastic idea. My frustration, which I thought I had mentioned clearly in my post. Is that we have parents who "can't afford" the $20. Which is absolute crap and should not carry over to the other parents to pay. If $20 is a budget buster then they have not done their budget properly.

I can't afford a golf club membership because of all the extra fees with food charges and what not. I don't expect the other men's club members to pick up my tab. I simply don't have the club membership.

I'm not sure what the cutoff for monies collected should be. I think what you would buy a kid a birthday present for that your kid was invited to would be a good rule. Which is right around $20-25 I'd say in most instances.

So sce, what's the rule of thumb if the parents don't give any money towards the gift. Is it okay to leave their name off of it?

I was not trying to come off as rude that's why I mentioned it in my previous post. It is frustrating on my end that some parents won't pony up the extra $20. Forcing other parents to pick up the slack.

Everyone should carefully budget. For whatever idiotic reason ppl think a budget is for ppl who don't have money. A budget is you telling your money where it's going. Something that is a fantastic idea. My frustration, which I thought I had mentioned clearly in my post. Is that we have parents who "can't afford" the $20. Which is absolute crap and should not carry over to the other parents to pay. If $20 is a budget buster then they have not done their budget properly.

I can't afford a golf club membership because of all the extra fees with food charges and what not. I don't expect the other men's club members to pick up my tab. I simply don't have the club membership.

I'm not sure what the cutoff for monies collected should be. I think what you would buy a kid a birthday present for that your kid was invited to would be a good rule. Which is right around $20-25 I'd say in most instances.

So sce, what's the rule of thumb if the parents don't give any money towards the gift. Is it okay to leave their name off of it?

if, and only if, this contribution amount is communicated to parents as being mandatory before joining the team does the group have any right to expect "ponying up."

otherwise, its a gift, NOT a fee (as you called it in your golf analogy). as such, it should be presented as voluntary. each person is then 100% entitled to opt out with no condemnation.

if done respectfully, you could definitely give everyone a chance to contribute, THEN buy a gift with the money you received and sign everyone's name who donated. easy peesy.

[QUOTE="gymbeam, post: 388187, member: 16648"
if done respectfully, you could definitely give everyone a chance to contribute, THEN buy a gift with the money you received and sign everyone's name who donated. easy peesy.[/QUOTE]
This is how it's done in our gym, only the gifts are from the entire team, regardless of who donated and who did not. The fact of the matter is that there are families in the sport that a mandatory 'gift' of $20 can burden a budget, especially during the holidays. I personally would rather the family abstain from the coaches gift than take away from someone else's present and I'm willing to bet that most coaches would rather see little Suzy with that new Leo she's wanted for months as opposed to an extra gift card. Coaches are not in the sport for the 'perks,' most of them are genuinely in it for the joy it brings the gymmies!

We are often the family that can't afford to contribute to extras. My DDs are in the sport with no wiggle room in our budget at all. I don't even get to drive home during practices.

I show our coaches appreciation every chance I get. I volunteer at every opportunity. I have made them gifts, food, driven them places, etc, but just tossing out a $20 is not something that we do for anything. Every penny is literally accounted for with no extras at the end.

I know that the next logical argument is that we can't afford for our girls to be gymnasts, but I say bs to that. As long as I can afford the tuition and fees, my kids will get to do what they love. Everything else I can, and do, opt out of with a clear conscience.

Your post shows a massive lack of empathy for people who truly do financial backbends to stay afloat.

Last edited:
Just like teacher presents all the girls sign the card and most parents first agree to what they can give and we go from there based on the amount we have collected.

We are often the family that can't afford to contribute to extras. My DDs are in the sport with no wiggle room in our budget at all. I don't even get to drive home during practices.

I show our coaches appreciation every chance I get. I volunteer at every opportunity. I have made them gifts, food, driven them places, etc, but just tossing out a $20 is not something that we do for anything. Every penny is literally accounted for with no extras at the end.

I know that the next logical argument is that we can't afford for our girls to be gymnasts, but I say bs to that. As long as I can afford the tuition and fees, my kids will get to do what they love. Everything else I can, and do, opt out of with a clear conscience.

Your post shows a massive lack of empathy for people who truly do financial backbends to stay afloat.
This is exactly my point. Sure everyone should budget their money. Some budgets are tighter than others though.

My DD6 likes to choose gifts for her coaches & some have been lovely things & some have been ....well ....not so lovely ....(animal finger gloves for x2 coaches when she was 3) & they have each loved everything, giving her big hugs with genuine delightful smiles & some send thank you'd back to her which she just loves.
Our gym class parents don't all know each other so it would be hard to communicate a group gift too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back