Parents biggest age group for level 3?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our State meet is coming up and the age divisions (for the sessions) have been determined.

I simplified the date ranges a bit, but basically -

1/4 of the girls were born 9/1/06 or more recently
1/4 between 10/1/05 and 8/31/06
1/4 between 11/1/04 and 9/30/05
And 1/4 before 10/31/04

I used age ranges based on the larger gyms in the state, but the distribution is almost identical for the smaller gyms. There will be a total of 8 sessions of Level 3 this year, so about 750 Level 3s competing.

1/4 of the girls are at least 10.5
1/4 of the girls are 9.5-10.5
1/4 of the girls are 8.5-9.5
And 1/4 the girls are 8.5 or younger

Divisions within those sessions aren't published, but my guess is that in the middle two sessions, there week be 4-6 weeks per division.

Actually distributions at meets prior to States can really vary. DD just turned 10 at the end of the season. In about 1/2 of meets she was in a group with her teammate who is 4 months order then her. In a couple, she was actually in a group with that girl and one who is 9 months younger than her. For most of our meets the host gym makes the awards divisions even so the distribution changes from meet to meet. We did have one meet based on actual she and the youngest group only had 6 or so while the 9 year old group had 24.

Of the 110 Level 3s that competed at our District Championships with even age splits:
Child A: 6y, 10m - 8y 10m
Child B: 8y, 10m - 9y, 11m
Junior A: 9y, 11.5m - 10y, 8m <--middle of the road ages.
Junior B: 10y, 8.5m - 11y, 7m
Senior: 11y, 7m - 14y, 10m.

So for us, they were pretty much in the 9-10 year old age group. This has been pretty consistent. in 2014, there were 27 10 year old L3 (with 22 9 y.o. coming in second). In 2013 (old L4), there were 30 9 year olds and 20 10 year olds. In 2012, there were 31 10 year olds and 22 9 year olds (along with 22 11 year olds).

The JO program is new here in British Columbia, Canada. In our gym my daughter is the youngest JO3 turning 7 this past October. The ages varied from just 7 to turning 9 this season. I'd say of the 15 or so JO3's in our gym a third were 7 turning 8 this season and the rest were 8 turning 9.

I agree it depends on the state but also which children are on track for being competitive in the JO world or even going Elite. At our gym we have several girls competing L7 who are 9-10 yrs. I know for most places this seems young but it has become the norm. for this area. I wouldn't worry about age, I would focus more on how much she enjoys what she's doing and if she has the passion to continue. She's young and as long as she continues to progress and stays happy that's all you can hope for.

Definitely varies. My daughter was 8 when she competed Level 3 and she was in the mid-range. The majority were 6-7 year olds (but most of the 6 year olds repeated Level 3 the following season) and then there were 5 girls that were in the middle school range. Definitely varies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back