Parents Long Practices, Younger Siblings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lilmisssunshine

Proud Parent
Wondering what types of things you've done with younger siblings who have to tag along? We've had only one-hour practices so far and the 3yo has been kept busy with videos, games, and coloring. But we're trying out the 2-hour pre-team class tomorrow and Thursday, and that's quite a bit longer. We're 20 minutes away, so it's not really long enough to drop him off and go home.
I just don't want the younger to dread and/or resent having to go..

When we were doing 2 hour practices, I put my other two in a rec class going on during that time. They also made friends with other gym siblings, and they don't mind it so much if there's a friend to play with.

Yeah. I'm totally hoping that there's a similarly aged sibling there. Before gym, my son was taking parkour lessons and there was a little one that my little one loved to play with. I'm hoping for a similar situation.
And also trying to find some libraries and playgrounds. I'm not terribly familiar with the area that the gym is in.

Wondering what types of things you've done with younger siblings who have to tag along? We've had only one-hour practices so far and the 3yo has been kept busy with videos, games, and coloring. But we're trying out the 2-hour pre-team class tomorrow and Thursday, and that's quite a bit longer. We're 20 minutes away, so it's not really long enough to drop him off and go home.
I just don't want the younger to dread and/or resent having to go..

• IKEA plastic kids table and chairs that have legs that screw off. Cost under $20 and is really light and fits in a big shopping bag.
  • Colouring in
  • Play doh, we have a couple of little sets that we rotate
  • Lots of snacks - special food that is only for practice time
  • Wooden train set that we keep in a plastic container with a clip lid
  • Ipad (instatube to save videos from YouTube to watch offline later, lots of Dr Panda games, anything by TocaBoca, others that I can't think of just now)
Now that practices are longer we tend to wander off and get some food during practice as well.
The other trick is to time it for nap time, although this works best with another adult. Usually the drive gets mine to sleep and then I have a kind friend wait in the car until he wakes up.

The worst is if they get tired during practice and need a nap. If it's long enough, pop them in the car for a drive and have them fall asleep. Otherwise you have to get the nap out of the way earlier so they're not tired.

This has gotten me through many many hours of 3yo boy time.
It depends heaps on your child though. If he really doesn't like it, driving home again may be worth it even for a 2hr practice. Or simply drive to a shopping centre and look through the toys, get some food etc.

Oh and if you get your set up right, older siblings of kids in gym will come to play with your child too :)

We've had 10 year olds come and play with the play doh.

Reactions: sce
Oh sorry, I thought you'd said 'he'.

In that case, lots and lots of craft. Those little packets of sequins or feathers etc.
We found a plastic, tool box/ fishing tackle box kind of thing to keep it all together. Glue sticks. Paste will keep them busy for a surprisingly long time if they have enough things to stick. If it's an area you don't want to drop little bits of stuff, coloured tissue paper to tear up and use the glue to paper mâché to plastic bottles or decorate tissue boxes etc.
Pipe cleaners, ribbons to tie in knots. Wrapping paper cut into squares to clue onto paper.

Great ideas front COz, personally for a two hour practice I'd go home. Say training is 4-6, drop at 3.55, home by 4.15, don't have to leave till 5.30-5.35 for pick up, that gives you a good 1hr 15 at home. Get dinner cooked or prepped etc. To save petrol maybe once a week organise your shopping and other chores you can do in the area, or a park on a nice day as a treat.

Reactions: COz
Oh sorry, I thought you'd said 'he'.

In that case, lots and lots of craft. Those little packets of sequins or feathers etc.
We found a plastic, tool box/ fishing tackle box kind of thing to keep it all together. Glue sticks. Paste will keep them busy for a surprisingly long time if they have enough things to stick. If it's an area you don't want to drop little bits of stuff, coloured tissue paper to tear up and use the glue to paper mâché to plastic bottles or decorate tissue boxes etc.
Pipe cleaners, ribbons to tie in knots. Wrapping paper cut into squares to clue onto paper.

Am I reading this right? Activities for a 3 year old are different if the child is a boy or a girl? Play doh and trains for boys and sticking and feathers for girls? I would have put them all under the craft banner as great ideas.

Am I reading this right? Activities for a 3 year old are different if the child is a boy or a girl? Play doh and trains for boys and sticking and feathers for girls? I would have put them all under the craft banner as great ideas.
Now now, don't get upset, mine play with both.
But my little boy definitely likes objects with wheels and things that can be used as sticks to hit with more than my girl does. She prefers fiddly bits and will sit still for longer to do them. All kids are different, your mileage may vary :)

And if it makes you feel any better, little boy today announced when he starts ballet he wants to do lots of jetes because they are his favourite, said he wants to wear his sisters socks when his feet get a bit bigger because they are pretty and she played with spiderman and ultron and they had adventures with the octonauts before she did the hair of her my little pony :)

Oh and I meant these particular crafts in addition to the others things which are my standard equipment for the little one.
I personally wouldn't do this sticky stuff with my boy outside of the home because I know it'll be messy. She was fine with this stuff at the same age.
And they both do it together at home.

<clarifying my clarification> :)

We survived our first practice with games, coloring, and a video of Greek myths (My 3yo is weird.). It's kind of a madhouse there and I wasn't expecting that. I guess there are multiple classes going on at the same time and the observation room was crowded.

Fortunately, there were some siblings hanging around as well, and I know that once my 3yo gets more comfortable, she'll be happy to run around.

We're also not too far from the Y, parks, and libraries, so once my DS gets more into the swing of things with this group, I'll feel better about leaving him there.

When ODD started with 3-3.5 hour practices, I only attended a few with YDD (she was 7 at the time). I gave her books and a DS. She was pretty used to 1 hour practices, which she had done almost since birth.

Then I started taking YDD shopping, to a park, to a restaurant with an indoor playground, or even to a McDonald's with wi-fi and a laptop or Kindle. We haven't stayed a whole practice in years.

Oh, we live about 40 minutes from the gym, so going back home isn't an option for us either.

I will stay off my gender soap box
I will stay off my gender soap box
I will stay off my gender soap box.

:D

Oh and I meant these particular crafts in addition to the others things which are my standard equipment for the little one.
I personally wouldn't do this sticky stuff with my boy outside of the home because I know it'll be messy. She was fine with this stuff at the same age.
And they both do it together at home.

<clarifying my clarification> :)

Sorry - I only just got back to this. I didn't mean to sound so grumpy. I forget I'm in internet world where people don't know me. I'm well known IRL for getting annoyed at gender stuff so like to live up to people's expectations and tease them when they say something daft. I'd just never heard of play doh being gendered before and couldn't resist. I'm all for anything to pass the time during a long sibling practice - and it doesn't get easier as they get older :-(

I take my 4 yr old YDD swimming at the nearest Y during free swim. ODD practices 3.5-4 hours so we have time to shower and wash hair.

When we stayed at practice (up to 1.5 hrs at that point), I would bring 2-3 books for my son, which he had to read, before he had free access to the electronic thingy of his choice.

edit: Ok for a three year old, I guess it would be different (my son was 5). I saw a few families that brought small board games or cards, easy games like go fish, candy land.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back