WAG First gymnast to be trained to do a high level skill

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
I think it is safe to assume that all coaches had their first time of coaching a skill. My daughter's HC wants to train a tkachev. I know he has never trained this skill. He had her a do one drill last year for two weeks and then put her in the strap bar (not sure what they are called. The HC bought it last year for the specific purpose of teaching my daughter a tkatchev), and just had her go for it. My daughter said she did not catch the bar and really did not know where she was. After that, he ceased training the tkatchev. Since the end of the season, he has brought up taking privates to learn the skill. I asked my daughter if he is having her do any drills at this point. And she said no. She said that is because they need a tumble track bar (frame bar-whatever they are called).

I'm really not sure what I am asking here except that I feel a little worried about my daughter being the first one to learn high level skills. She's had three injuries in 2 years (the most recent being a subluxation of the elbow) and has not really competed a full season in 3 years. Our HC has coached 3 seniors and currently 5 Level 10s. But they will be in Level 10 for only 2 years whereas my daughter will be in Level 10 for over 5 years. As such, if her routines are to be upgraded every year (and I hope HC does upgrades as I do not want her competing the same skills for 5 years), she will be the first gymnast being taught several high level skill. What insight, suggestions can you share on this situation?

Yes, dunno does know my daughter's coach, is aware of the situation and he has provided me with with invaluable information over the years. But I also wanted to heat other coaches perspective.

If I understood dunno correctly, he believes that our HC can be capable and could continue to improve which means my daughter will improve with him. But I also wanted to hear from coaches about their first attempt at coaching a high level skill and even from any parent whose child was the gymnast a coach taught a high level skill first. What were the pitfalls, successes, suggestions, anything. I am just trying to get information, expectations?

One suggestion I could make is outside training...at a camp or clinic. My DD is going to two camps this summer, specifically to work on Level 9/10 skills. The camps have qualifications to get in (young at a high level, Tops etc), and have very high level coaches. Two coaches from our gym are going too, in a continuing ed approach. I know there are several camps like this available this summer. It might be a good start.....

Any chance of outside training? Or even a clinic?

One suggestion I could make is outside training...at a camp or clinic. My DD is going to two camps this summer, specifically to work on Level 9/10 skills. The camps have qualifications to get in (young at a high level, Tops etc), and have very high level coaches. Two coaches from our gym are going too, in a continuing ed approach. I know there are several camps like this available this summer. It might be a good start.....

Any chance of outside training? Or even a clinic?

I've considered this a lot to the point of me trying to convince our HC to attend a W400 national coach clinic (the highest class/clinic the USAG university has to offer) and a camp called "make it right" conducted by many national team coaches and staff which allows a coaches and gymnasts to attend. He expressed interest and now is bulking. Don't think it is going to happen. My daughter is 13 and she no longer will go anywhere without a friend. My bigger concern is that even if I am able to force her, it may just be a waste of time and money because whatever she learns at those camps will stay at those camps.

"Make it right" is one of DDs camps, lol! These camps are not like "fun" camps. I talked to the camp directors in detail to confirm this. I know one of the summers camps requires coaches to go....and the price tag.....yikes!!!

How about having a coach come to your gym? If there are enough higher level girls...you could do an "in house" clinic...our gym has a similar clinic every summer. We are charged 125.00 each for a 3 day clinic.

Doesn't every region offer regional training camps for level 7+? With her being a L10, she should qualify. Usually these camps have some great coaching/mentoring both for the gymnast and the coaching

I wouldn't mind my child being a guinea pig, of sorts, as long as the coach is continuing to learn from fellow coaches, trainings, etc. Doesn't sound like that is happening with your coach. That would worry me.

Amber, tried that. HC does not believe in outside training. Yes, gymgal, we have regional training but coach does not let his team go. Our coaches actually go to the regional meet to coach since we need them to put in some hours so our national qualifiers can get their apparel for free. He told the parents we would not benefit from going to the clinic since it is for the gyms that have little experience coaching L9 and L10.

With all I've written, our HC probably sounds horrible. He is not. But she certainly lacks experience.

Gymgal, that is exactly my question. I guess being a guinea pig is not all bad. But I see it as learning and coaching skills could take longer--learning curve. Maybe I am paranoid, but I worry about injuries. My daughter just injured her elbow and I find out from other experienced coaches that they teach their gymnasts to fall. This comes from experience--injury prevention. An experienced coach will have a couple tricks up his sleeve to get over hurdles, other drills, methods, etc. But I also believe experience does not equate to being a good coach. I know all the great coaches of our country were at one point inexperience.

Most of the time by the time the coach starts to teach a new skill for the first time to a gymnast they have done a significant amount of research, have an array of drills and have gone to lengths to ensure they can coach the skills safely.

As a coach the first time we teach a new skill in general we will err on the side of caution and do more drills than nessesary, rather than less.

The concern is not that the coach is teaching it for the first time but that very few preps have been done.

It would bother me a bit that the coach doesn't attend the regional camps. I think coaches can learn a lot from each other. In our area, the boys' teams actually interact a lot and the optionals do group trainings several times a year. I think it's good for the kids too to see what the other kids are doing too. For a while, my DS was the only one on his team working on Yurchenkos, so he definitely liked to get around other guys who were doing them.

Amber, tried that. HC does not believe in outside training. Yes, gymgal, we have regional training but coach does not let his team go. Our coaches actually go to the regional meet to coach since we need them to put in some hours so our national qualifiers can get their apparel for free. He told the parents we would not benefit from going to the clinic since it is for the gyms that have little experience coaching L9 and L10.
This makes no sense to me. But maybe coaches will weigh in on this. I just feel that you always have more to learn. A new drill, a different approach for a particularly difficult gymnast (meaning one that is not 'getting' it with your typical drills). DD doesn't really like to work with other coaches but we have pushed it in the past couple years and she admits that it really does help having someone else look at their skills/routines because a fresh perspective can often help tweak small blips. And then there is the ability of the gymnasts to get to know each other. Now, this probably doesn't happen as much as it could but even just a familiar face goes a long way when you are at state, regional, national meets without any of your teammates in your session

First couple of tkacheves I taught all caught and competed them. So yes totally possible .

I did feel it was possible. But what prep did you do? Is there any equipment vital to coaching the skill? Did someone physically teach you or what kind of research did you do?

Thanks Aussie coach. I am assuming our HC has done some research. But I have my doubts. I hope I am wrong.

Gymgal, I agree with you. We (and our coaches) could benefit from these clinics. I have my speculations on why our HC does not let us go.

It's certainly possible as long as the coach has done his/her homework. There are no shortage of videos and articles and blog posts out there about various methods of training a tkachev.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back