WAG Younger sister passing older sister?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

JennC4

Hi, this is my first post on this site! I have three daughters who are competitive gymnasts, DD1, 14 is a level 7.... DD2 is 12 and is also a level 7... and DD3 is 10 and a level 10. My younger one from the start showed a natural talent and flew by both of her sisters. They both handle it very well and don't show any jealousy towards her. My problem is that DD2's coaches want her to move up to level 8 next year, and think DD1 should stay on level 7, she will be 15 in July. I know that when she finds out her other sister will be passing her too, she'll be devastated. Many girls her age in the gym have switched to cheerleading, and have excelled in that and loved it. I haven't talked to them yet, but obviously would never want to hold middle DD back to please her sister. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!!!

You are right not to want to hold back middle daughter. Oldest MIGHT surprise you and be content NOT having to work harder (to do the higher level skills) than she already does. Unless she is actively talking about how badly she wants to make it to L8, she may be content with L7. I know we have 2 girls that CHOSE to repeat L7 last year (both could have moved to L8, but chose a 3rd year at L7). One of them may be repeating L7 again as she is unsure how she will handle the stress of high school AND training yurchenkos and L8 bar skills.

It can be very hard, but she coped with it with your youngest DD she may do the same with your middle DD.

It might be helpful to offer a back up plan, when you tell if she reacts badly offer her the option of another gymsport like cheer, acro, tramp and tumble. As a level 7 gymnasts she would be able to go straight into a very high level in one of those sports.

Thanks for the replies! Still trying to figure out what to say to her UGH!

Sat down with my oldest today and told her the coaches want my middle one to move up, and that they didn't think she would be ready for 8 by the summer. After an hour of talking and lots of tears, she decided that she is going to be done with gymnastics. I am so upset as she was the one who got us all into the sport as a family. However the good news is we talked to head coach about her stopping, and she offered her a job assistant coaching the Level 3's three times a week!! She is so excited and I am so happy that she will still be in the gym!!

I am glad that your gym value your dd and want her to be part of the gym family. Do they have an adult/ teen group that she could do a few hours a week for fun to keep fit?

I am glad that your gym value your dd and want her to be part of the gym family. Do they have an adult/ teen group that she could do a few hours a week for fun to keep fit?
Yes they have open gym a few nights a week... she's planning on tumbling then since she'll be there waiting for her sister anyways!!!

Sounds like a great outcome, my 13 yr old ds is a higher level than my 15 yr old dd as well dd3 is only 6 so she is just on the preteam.
So I totally understand how it can be. My 15 yr old is a coaching as well and loves it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back