Parents Bigger sizes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Can anyone tell me if there is a company that make leotards suitable for plus sized kids? We have been through a number of brands in AL/AXL and they are all still pulling up in DDs hips/crotch area. It doesn't help that she is extremely sensitive and doesn't function well when things are too tight/constricting or itchy, and she won't wear open backs (that was my first idea). We have had luck until this point with the silky material Destira AL leos. They are soft, stretchy, and cut nicely. Their size chart lists an XL, which would be perfect, but a chat with customer service reveals they don't actually stock them. My DD can't be the only girl to need a leo which is cut more generously... I know most gymnasts are tiny, but there has to be other kids who aren't. Or even older teens/adults who still do gym. We typically buy only used leotards, which has meant no returns and a lot of leos being donated unworn. I would be happy to pay for brand new in a few leos if they fit perfectly. She practices 3 days a week, so really doesn't need too many. Any advice on brands, or should I just resign myself to custom made? Thanks!

I don't have an answer for you, but is she required to wear a leo? At my daughter's old gym, many of the older gymnasts chose to wear tight sports tops (not bras, but tight tank style shirts, and spandex shirts. When you looked from far away, they looked very much like leos and shorts. If she's big in the tummy area it might not work if the shorts roll down, but if not that might be an option. I'll try to find a pic.

Hmm, I guess I don't really know. I didn't even think to ask if she could just wear something else (obviously not to competitions, but just for practice). All the other kids on team wear leos and shorts (or the boy pants things for the guys), so I just assumed. Good idea!

http://www.shopjustice.com/girls-cl...Origin=category page&productGridPlacement=1-3

This leo goes up to size 20 kids, which looked to me like up to 135 lbs.

Also, have you tried Plum leos? They are my daughter's favorite and seem to be a lot more comfortable bc of their silky fabric and lack of seams. The elastic seems to be not as unforgiving as GK, either. The way Plum works is they release a collection, and then when they sell out in a size, they are out. There's a new collection coming out next week, so I'd probably wait until then to buy, but worth checking out. They only go to size AL, but I think that will be bigger than GK's adult large.

http://plumpracticewear.com/

I like http://www.gymdigs.com/

If a gymnast is not perfectly in a size or is bigger, they make leotards to custom measurements. They even made a leotard for me (I gave them a REAL test)... The rise was perfect... but I am oddly shaped and because of that, should have given them more measurements than they asked for.

I was thinking the same as another poster, if it's that part of the leo that is bothersome, maybe a compression shirt and spandex shorts? With permission from the coach of course. But, they might allow it for tramp and tumbling since usually the issues with the shorts combo comes on bars.

I would definetly consider the option of custom leos. They are not that expensive, a lot of companies do them. I don't know where you are but our Australian company https://sylviap.com.au does beautiful custom leotards and they do a lot of US gyms. You may be able to find something great closer to home, but with them I vouch for the fact that they will be good quality and confortable.

I think spending a bit more on the leotard will be worth it if it will allow her to feel more comfortable and less self conscious.

I second the recommendation to look at Etsy, especially for someone using the Jalie patterns as they go up to quite large Ladies' sizes and can be further customized between sizes. I am one of those people who make custom leos but I'm booked up until my older DDs spring ballet is done (as I am sewing many costumes for that).

With using a well made, well drafted pattern and hiring an experienced seamstress, you should be able to get a great fitting leotard. Yes, it will be more expensive than a regular off-the-rack leotard, even more so if you're used to buying used leos (I for one wouldn't sell a custom Leo for anywhere under $40 and that's with very plain fabric) BUT it will be well worth it.

I know this may not apply specifically to your dd, because I've obviously never met her. But, I have noticed that sometimes leos ride up because the leg holes are too big. My dd had a leo That rode up, and although it appeared that the Leo was too small, having the Leo altered to make the leg openings smaller fixed the problem.

I know this may not apply specifically to your dd, because I've obviously never met her. But, I have noticed that sometimes leos ride up because the leg holes are too big. My dd had a leo That rode up, and although it appeared that the Leo was too small, having the Leo altered to make the leg openings smaller fixed the problem.
I was thinking that often, the problem with the girls who are a little bigger in the belly have fit problems because of the "Girth is most important.. then go by your BIGGEST measurement" I know of one girl that had hips that were a Child Medium, but with her waist and girth measurements, she needed an Adult Small (3 sizes bigger) and they would ride up for this exact reason. That is why I like Gymdigs custom sizing... it is only $6 more than their standard sizing... and a basic tank leotard in one fabric would STILL only be $32.

I was thinking that often, the problem with the girls who are a little bigger in the belly have fit problems because of the "Girth is most important.. then go by your BIGGEST measurement" I know of one girl that had hips that were a Child Medium, but with her waist and girth measurements, she needed an Adult Small (3 sizes bigger) and they would ride up for this exact reason. That is why I like Gymdigs custom sizing... it is only $6 more than their standard sizing... and a basic tank leotard in one fabric would STILL only be $32.

Yeah, the problem seems to be inconsistent size across measurements. For instance, her hips and chest are one size group, her girth one bigger, and her waist puts her off all the charts. So if I order the biggest size (using a generic ideal here), the girth is right, the hips end up loose (those wedgies!), and the tummy is too tight which just throws the whole thing off. I am going to be ordering a custom size leo tomorrow for her.

Don't even get me started on swimsuits. Ugh. In stores she needs to get either kids plus (hard to find in stock) or adult swimsuits, but the adult ones are WAY too adult for my taste. I have had luck ordering online from Kohls and Justice in the past, but with her sensitive skin I wish she could feel them before I buy them. Then there is regular clothes... It's all such a pain!

Yeah, the problem seems to be inconsistent size across measurements. For instance, her hips and chest are one size group, her girth one bigger, and her waist puts her off all the charts. So if I order the biggest size (using a generic ideal here), the girth is right, the hips end up loose (those wedgies!), and the tummy is too tight which just throws the whole thing off. I am going to be ordering a custom size leo tomorrow for her.

Don't even get me started on swimsuits. Ugh. In stores she needs to get either kids plus (hard to find in stock) or adult swimsuits, but the adult ones are WAY too adult for my taste. I have had luck ordering online from Kohls and Justice in the past, but with her sensitive skin I wish she could feel them before I buy them. Then there is regular clothes... It's all such a pain!

An off topic aside - you might try Lands End for swimsuits. Their adult ones are much more modest.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back