WAG Starting a "Hotshot" Class

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sorry, this post is a little long but I wanted to make sure I explained enough. Anyways...For a long time now I have wanted to start a "Hotshot" class. I'm not sure what other gyms call it, but at the gym I grew up in we had a group of kids called "hotshots" that were kids who showed potential early on and were all around the age of 5 or 6.

Currently the gym I work at is a pretty low key gym. Its a non-profit with 2 teams that only practice 5-7 hours per week, a pre-team that does 4 hours per week, and the level before that is an invitation only group that practices 2 hours per week that requires no commitment. The only way we have to feed kids into team is to have them make it up through our rec levels and get invited.

Last summer, I got promoted in our club and am in charge of who gets moved up to that "invitation only" level and also have of a lot of pull in the decisions we make when it comes to the rec program. Of course, I still have to check things with boss and get it approved by the board, but I get a big say in what goes on.

What I really want to start thinking about this summer (for the fall) is a class for kids (ages 5-6?) who show big potential. I have already started talking about it to one of the team coaches (who is also a board member) and she thinks its a good idea, but before I bring it up to my boss, I kind of want to have an idea of how I would start it, run the class, etc.

So I have a few questions and would love any suggestions/comments from any parents/coaches/gym owners who have experience in starting/running this type of class:
- How do you decide what kids are chosen for this class and who makes the decision?
- Where in your program do you find these kids? How old are they?
- How often does this group meet and for how long? Or how long/often in comparison to your competitive levels?
- Do these kids get any competition opportunities?
- How much of practice is dedicated to events, conditioning, technique, etc.?
- What type of commitment do you require from these kids/parents?

Thanks in advance!

My youngest daughter was in a class like that. Our gym had a special name for it and it was a group of hand picked 4 and 5 year olds who they picked out of rec classes. They went 5 hours a week during the school year and upped that to around 8 over the summer. The focus was on conditioning and working flexibility and they also worked on level 1-2 skills. They would move from this class directly to the Preteam.

I'm also at a low-key gym that sounds somewhat similar to yours and started a group like this last spring. The girls were selected from classes and ages 7 & under (about half have since turned 8). The youngest was 4 and in pre-k when she started in the fall which was a bit too young. She's since turned 5 and caught on well, but it took a lot of time. They only come 1x/week for 1.5 hours, which I don't feel is really enough, I would love to get them more, but it's a good place to start and test the waters. I don't really have a commitment requirement, some kids come faithfully every week and others miss at least 1x/month for one thing or another. I wish there were more commitment, but I also know they are little and don't want them to fall in love with gymnastics on their own time.
The kids were selected based on general strength, flexibility, handstands, body awareness- really not anything too specific and most was based off of what coaches could see from classes geared towards little ones. Personality is another factor- willingness to listen, ability to follow direction, attitude- while keeping their age in mind.
We do lots of strength and conditioning and keep the skills really basic- level 1/2 stuff and lots of drills. Really working on body awareness, staying tight, and learning positions and not so much learning a bunch of new skills really fast. These kids will work their way onto the pre-team as they are ready (no set timeline really). They do not compete but will participate in the parents show with the rec kids.

I'm also at a low-key gym that sounds somewhat similar to yours and started a group like this last spring. The girls were selected from classes and ages 7 & under (about half have since turned 8). The youngest was 4 and in pre-k when she started in the fall which was a bit too young. She's since turned 5 and caught on well, but it took a lot of time. They only come 1x/week for 1.5 hours, which I don't feel is really enough, I would love to get them more, but it's a good place to start and test the waters. I don't really have a commitment requirement, some kids come faithfully every week and others miss at least 1x/month for one thing or another. I wish there were more commitment, but I also know they are little and don't want them to fall in love with gymnastics on their own time.
The kids were selected based on general strength, flexibility, handstands, body awareness- really not anything too specific and most was based off of what coaches could see from classes geared towards little ones. Personality is another factor- willingness to listen, ability to follow direction, attitude- while keeping their age in mind.
We do lots of strength and conditioning and keep the skills really basic- level 1/2 stuff and lots of drills. Really working on body awareness, staying tight, and learning positions and not so much learning a bunch of new skills really fast. These kids will work their way onto the pre-team as they are ready (no set timeline really). They do not compete but will participate in the parents show with the rec kids.

Thank you 2littlegymmiesmom and coachmolly for responding! Do they have to commit to all year round? For example, would they loose their spot if they decide to take a break over the summer? How many kids do you have in your group?

We had one girl who as going to be traveling most of the summer and we allowed her to start in the group in the Fall. I haven't heard anything about girls wanting to take off this summer, so I guess we will wait and see. At this point I wouldn't have a problem with it as they have plenty of time.
It is a group of 6. At the end of the summer 2 of the girls moved away and 2 new girls took their places. We did have a 7th very briefly but it wasn't a good fit and she left the group.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back