Parents Pros and Cons of Repeating a Level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Agree with this sentiment all the way :) Very anxious to hear next week which training group DD will be in for the summer. She had a solid (not spectacular) L3 season and has fulfilled the gyms "requirements" to move up at this point. She is a young 7, so I think many of her deductions are form and the mill circle has been the bain of her L3 existence. From prior experience though it seems repeating L3 is very common at our gym.
Now the kip might replace the mill circle lol

I'm hoping like hell my dd repeats 5 next year. Comp season hasn't even started yet and I can already see it all going horribly wrong. They do a lot of up training, so she can still learn new skills, have fun and feel like she's moving along, but I don't see a point in competing a level you're struggling with.

At our gym the girls aren't leveled until after summer. Instead, they are grouped. I like this format. Everyone pretty much knows what level they are striving for. Out of a fairly good size group of next year's would be level 4s, only one of them has the kip at this time.

We just got our summer schedule options.

It is written like this Level2/ future level3 days ab or c
Level 3/Future level 4, days xy or z

If they do not have all skills required by August and know their routines for their next level, they will not move. While we pretty much know who is moving and who is not or iffy. You won't get a yeah or nay out of the coach until August at the earliest.

If they are somewhere between and missing a required skill for the next level, they will keep them at their current level. They feel it is better for the kids to be successful and strong at meets ( and it helps the team too). Again, we up train, so they are not really stuck at a level.

Our new 4s have been working on 4 skills since level 2, they all currently have 4 skills but competed as 3s this year and have been working level 5/6 skills while at level 3

I'm hoping like hell my dd repeats 5 next year. Comp season hasn't even started yet and I can already see it all going horribly wrong. They do a lot of up training, so she can still learn new skills, have fun and feel like she's moving along, but I don't see a point in competing a level you're struggling with.
This is our coaches philosophy and how they do it.

Our gym repeats girls as necessary. It is completely individual.

Dd repeated old 6/new 5. She had a difficult year in old L6 - rarely medaled, even in last place. No placement at states. AA scores probably in the low 34s.

When she repeated as a new L5, her performance was much improved. She medaled in at least 1 event every meet. AA scores in high 35s and low 36s.

She was bummed that her friends all moved on without her, but she needed that year to get her foundation skills more solidly and regain some confidence. She just completed a year at L7 and again had some struggles, but by states had greatly improved. No idea if she will be L7 or L8 for next year. She's shooting for her L8 skills, but I trust the coaches will place her where she fits best.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back