WAG Level 6 Requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomtotwo

Proud Parent
Could anyone direct me to the basic requirements for Level 6? I have no problem finding the info for compulsories on the USAG website, but don't seem to be able to figure out where to find info optionals. I know it supposed to be somewhat similar to Level 5, but am trying to figure out how they differ, besides the obvious that you do your own routine. Any guidance is appreciated.

https://usagym.org/pages/women/pages/jooptionals.html

This page may help :)

And this

https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx08_L6-8cheatsheet2014.pdf

My dd did six and I would say the skills required are similar except the optional rules apply so you have to meet all the basic angle, performance, amplitude etc that optionals requires. You can pick your own skills but to score well they better be done at what the judges feel is an optional level.

Bars scoring is rough if you don't have a good CHS. I know everyone says it is the same or easier than five but I don't know if I totally agree with that. Yes, you don't have to worry about all the hand placements and minute details, but expectations are high and there are just as many deductions that wouldn't apply to compulsories.

Last edited:
https://usagym.org/pages/women/pages/jooptionals.html

This page may help :)

And this

https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx08_L6-8cheatsheet2014.pdf

My dd did six and I would say the skills required are similar except the optional rules apply so you have to meet all the basic angle, performance, amplitude etc that optionals requires. You can pick your own skills but to score well they better be done at what the judges feel is an optional level.

Bars scoring is rough if you don't have a good CHS. I know everyone says it is the same or easier than five but I don't know if I totally agree with that. Yes, you don't have to worry about all the hand placements and minute details, but expectations are high and there are just as many deductions that wouldn't apply to compulsories.

I just checked out the cheat sheet.
When it says a skill "group 3, 6 or 7" - where do you find those groups?
Thanks so much!

is that accurate since it was written in 2011 and levels all changed in 2013? it ends by saying you have to score out of 6 to move to 7, so i'm just curious if the specific skills listed are outdated, too.
MOST of it is accurate. It is definitely NOT for Old Level 6. ... Vault - There are other options for the vault. Bars - there is an issue with the author's interpretation of the "group 3, 6, or 7" skills (I am not sure about having UNDERSWING in there) and the mobility issue (which I tried to comment on, but comments are not being accepted).

I just checked out the cheat sheet.
When it says a skill "group 3, 6 or 7" - where do you find those groups?
Thanks so much!
You would find them in the Code of Points. In the Uneven Bar Section, they have GROUPS of skills and then they list the skills in that group.
For that requirement, I most often see a clear hip circle (also called a free hip), but there are other options.

You would find them in the Code of Points. In the Uneven Bar Section, they have GROUPS of skills and then they list the skills in that group.
For that requirement, I most often see a clear hip circle (also called a free hip), but there are other options.
Thanks so much!!

is that accurate since it was written in 2011 and levels all changed in 2013? it ends by saying you have to score out of 6 to move to 7, so i'm just curious if the specific skills listed are outdated, too.

I just reread that myself, and it says that after successfully competing L6 she can move to L7. I think that's more of a generalization, as Level 6 can indeed be skipped if the gymnast scored out of L5

Yep, it was updated in 2013!
ok, so the skills are updated but the wording is just off on the mobility requirement. (since technically a gymnast may move to level 7 after competing level 5. and the fact that level 6 is not a required level is not mentioned.) thanks!

ok, so the skills are updated but the wording is just off on the mobility requirement. (since technically a gymnast may move to level 7 after competing level 5. and the fact that level 6 is not a required level is not mentioned.) thanks!

You're right, I should have mentioned that. I will clarify.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back