Parents How many cancelled practices would you consider excessive?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Really my only concern at this point is that it is becoming a bit too "status quo" to just cancel practice without offering make up sessions. But, I truly believe that things will get better once our new hires start.

At move-up time last year, my daughter was placed in an advanced preteam group that was supposed to practice three times per week, twice in combination with lower levels and once as a separate group. The separate practice was cancelled at least every other week, sometimes more often. After several months of this, the gym officially eliminated the extra practice. At that point my daughter was offered a move-up, but we were beyond fed up with a long string of management and coaching issues and left the gym. The whole episode probably ended up costing my daughter a year's worth of progress, but now she is a happy little gymnast in a well-run program where her long-term prospects appear much better.

A lot will depend on how well your gym is communicating with parents about the reason for the cancelled practices and the plan for getting back on track. If the gym has been open with parents about the coaching shortages and the timetable for getting the new coaches in the gym, it should be much easier for parents to accept the temporary situation. If, however, parents feel that they're being strung along, at least some are going to get antsy and lose trust in the gym management.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back