Parents right and wrong ways to do publicity

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Publicity or not, I would like to thank the people who've uploaded public videos of their boys' level 4 routines because it helps me to see what's expected, as a complete newbie.

Also, is getting into college the only reason a gymnast would want to market themselves? I'm curious if there are opportunities for sponsorship or gymnastics related modeling or something. I don't know, so that's an honest question. (A friend's kid races BMX and I know that in the "extreme" sports, doing well at social media can get you a sponsorship on a major brand's team, and then skateboarding/racing/scooter riding/whatever becomes a "job".)
most are doing it for college recruiting. sponsorships and modeling (gymnastics specific) would cause a loss in NCAA eligibility

No gymgal, I do get it. I don't overestimate anything, I merely said the top kids get noticed. Not all kids, the top stellar kids. I am not delirious or naive.

There are so many level 3 and 4 gymnasts there are many states that have multiple "state" meets giving the state, multiple state champions, and don't get me started on age groups, and these kids don't need public SM.

And meets are a "any given Sunday thing". One meet doesn't necessarily reflect the total capabilities of any given gynmast.

Tons, of Elite and Tops folks not making the Olympics, Natioanal team or Division 1.

NCAA Div one even recruits outside the U.S. Yes I get it.

Once again you all seemed to have miss the part where I said if you are a prospective college athlete you need a sports resume, including videos.?

I get it, folks. Last time I am going to say it.

A prospective college athlete (in this case gymnast) needs to develop a recruiting plan, early.

A prospective college gymnast needs a sports resume, including videos.

Probably the best place to have these videos is a you tube account as it can easily be viewed, by coaches at prospective colleges.

They need to target and make sure their resume gets to the schools and coaches they want them to go to.

That however, does not mean the account needs to be public and viewable by the whole world.

@ldwmlo The account needs to be public so that the college coaches can find it. It is a totally different situation to have parents posting videos of lvl 9s and 10s so coaches can find them and YT/IG accounts about 6YOs for parental glory. Not everything posted on the Internet is bad. It just needs to be contextually appropriate.

Wow, this has been a real eye-opener from those of you who've been there or who are there now! I'm also getting the sense that Youtube is perceived as more professional than Instagram (though admittedly I do not have an Instagram account and neither do any of my offspring, so I can't really claim to know the medium). Accurate?

I am pretty sure coaches know who they are looking for. And where to look. And I am sure they don't go to every local meet. But I am pretty sure they have boots on the ground at places like regionals, nationals and maybe even states at the upper levels.
Our most recent level 8/9/10 state meet had college coaches watching the level 10 sessions.

ldwmlo, you seemed to have missed the point of this thread. Go back and read it. It specifically is asking about what to do when you have a gymnast with college potential. We are not talking about little level 3/4's. We are talking about level 9/10s.

Wallinbl, yes, there are always college coaches at state and regional meets. and of course nationals. Most going to the state/regional meets are fairly local or have a girl they are specifically interested in/already verballed.

profmom, instagram is really made for photos and very short videos. I think it can only be something like 15sec? I don't know. I don't use it but I know dd tried to post her bar routine on it one time and it was too long. Definitely youtube is the way to go for videos.

Wallinbl, There were college coaches at ours, too. They were local to our state. Didnt see anyone from UCLA, Auburn, Arizona, Iowa, Washington, etc, and they probably weren't at our regionals either, and we want/need to cast a wider net. I guess my feeling is that everyone has different circumstances, and blanket statements when it comes to gymnastics annoy me, no matter if you are talking publicity, or "what age is too old" or "should the coach be doing xyz"? The answer is usually "it depends". Unless you're a CGM instgraming your dd off of her team...then you're just an idiot.

I agree about youtube being more professional, or at least more direct. On instagram, you have to weed through too much junk to find anything worth looking at. Youtube is pretty straightforward to search and navigate. Our coach has an account, and we've had enough scholarshipped athletes that I am sure colleges keep an eye on the account. Even if they watch the kids that have verballed with their team, the way youtube is setup, it would be easy for them to see someone else on our teams that they didnt know about and who (hopefully) catches their eye.

There was a college coach at our boys' L9-L10 states who congratulated some of the boys specifically on good routines, which caused much excitement.

That's an interesting idea -- a coach-run Youtube of athletes. Our coaches still do most of their networking the old fashioned way, though I have seen them putting together skills videos in the gym for their athletes to post.

Our gym has deep connections to a few colleges. It's common for gymnasts to wind up at those, and their coaches are around the gym a few times a year. Girls do wind up at other colleges from time to time, but the ones that are good enough for scholarships generally wind up at one of the few.

Us too, Wallinbl. I heard a story once that on the day a particular college recruiter came by, the gym actually hid one of the younger L10s so that she wouldn't steal the thunder of the athletes they were trying to place!

So, for parents who know, when is the right age? If kids are committing 5 years before graduation, then am I correct in thinking their YouTube account should be started 6 years before graduation, or by level 9, whichever is later?! I saw someone say they wished they started at 10 years old / level 8.

So, what age/level/grade?

Can I also ask about the leotard promotion thing. I mean Laurie Hernandez and her team mates are plastered all over the plum leotard advertising. Surely girls on the national team would know if that would jeopardise their NCAA criteria. They would surely have that advice one way or the other. Does anyone know?

I personally think Level 9 is a good benchmark. I'm the one that said that about level 8, and I was thinking I would have put up videos then, but only of a really stellar performance or maybe L9 skills that were in the works and certainly not everything. This probably wouldnt be necessary for kids doing tops or hopes, but maybe for those who are late bloomers and who youre not sure will get to L10 early enough to be noticed.

Also, a note about webpages, which I'm not sure how I feel about. We have thought about putting up a simple page, mostly because gymdivas is gone (they use to maintain their own list of up and comers by region/grad year) and so is the collegegymfans recruitables database. I was actually angry that Gymdivas did that several years ago without my permission, and emailed the lady to take it down, but now I understand the vaule of the tool. Sure the info is out there if you dig, but it does make for a nice, easy way for a coach to get a quick snapshot of your child if they are interested.

As for the advertising, I think I read somewhere that if it is done in affiliation with, and to promote USAG/national team, then it is not a violation. I could be wrong on this though.

What fascinates me are those who are silent in some discussions.

Can I also ask about the leotard promotion thing. I mean Laurie Hernandez and her team mates are plastered all over the plum leotard advertising. Surely girls on the national team would know if that would jeopardise their NCAA criteria. They would surely have that advice one way or the other. Does anyone know?
I was just wondering about this as I was browsing the new line....anyone know?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back