WAG If she puts her hands down in side aerial, does it count as a fall?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Side aerial is a .2 bonus on floor, and I have a kid who can do it during her floor routine about 70% of the time. However, sometimes she puts her hands down, or hits the side of her hand on the floor right at the end. Would this count as a fall? Or just no bonus?

I'm interested to see the replies. I'm assuming it would be counted as a fall, or .3. On beam if you grab the beam instead of falling I believe it is .3, so it may be the same for floor, I'm not sure.

In Xcel, it would count as a cartwheel :)

Whenever we have girls working aerials and they put their hands down, I point out that it isn't an aerial if they put their hands down.

TECHNICALLY, it should NOT count as a fall... they should count it as what it is... a cartwheel... lose the aerial bonus... and, if this was supposed to meet a SR and they don't do something else to meet it, they would also lose the SR (could be where people think that it was counted as a fall)... PLUS there could be form deductions.

Wouldn't it count as a dive cartwheel? Totally different if it gives you a flight requirement.

For instance - I have a girl competing silver. She does a roundoff backtuck for her first pass. She has an inconsistent but lovely aerial she is trying to do for her second pass. If she puts her hand down, it is still a stand alone flight element and thus fine for silver. If it was a cartwheel, it wouldn't work.

Wouldn't it count as a dive cartwheel? Totally different if it gives you a flight requirement.

For instance - I have a girl competing silver. She does a roundoff backtuck for her first pass. She has an inconsistent but lovely aerial she is trying to do for her second pass. If she puts her hand down, it is still a stand alone flight element and thus fine for silver. If it was a cartwheel, it wouldn't work.
I meant a dive cartwheel :)

Side aerial is a .2 bonus on floor, and I have a kid who can do it during her floor routine about 70% of the time. However, sometimes she puts her hands down, or hits the side of her hand on the floor right at the end. Would this count as a fall? Or just no bonus?

in the JO Program, she would have to land on her face or knees without the feet touching the floor in order for it to be considered a "fall". just like vaults and bar releases. if you don't land on your feet first or your hands don't touch the rail on a release then it is considered a fall.

and of course if she puts her hands down you lose the value of the skill which includes no bonus.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back