MAG Pre-Pubescent Boys and Muscle Building

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

lilmisssunshine

Proud Parent
I'm confused about something and hoping someone can help me sort it out. I remember reading something in the past about how boys shouldn't try to build up their muscles until they've reached puberty. I can't find anything about that again, but my dad mentioned it the other day too, so it's on my mind.

However, there's obviously the conditioning aspect of gymnastics, and I think they do that sort of thing in all the other sports as well, so...what gives?

Is the deal that boys shouldn't lift weights, but that conditioning through pushups and whatnot is totally fine? Am I just not remembering what I read correctly?

Yes. ^^^^ that. Really until after puberty, the best weight is body weight. they can condition the best with just their own body weight, and probably even after that!

Reactions: sce
There are 2 types of weight training.
Anaerobic. BAD 4 KIDS.
by definition anaerobic exercise uses oxygen faster than the body can replenish. So the body uses energy from substrates like carbs, phosphates. Things your body needs to grow.
Simply to build muscle, your tearing it down. things like ankle weights / heavy lifting can also damage joint ligaments.

Aerobic exercise ( Cardio) pertains to the use of oxygen through activities performed for extended periods of time.
Light weights used correctly are a good method of increasing strength and endurance.
However most gymnastics events are anaerobic . so while you increase your stamina your not going to see much gain for your sport.
If not properly introduced to cardio fit / light lifting. you would be smart to get the same benefits from swimming or biking.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back