Parents right and wrong ways to do publicity

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So my eldest (the non-gymnast) took the PSAT a year early for practice because his high school recommends it for some kids. Do most gymnasts and other athletes who are looking to put together a recruiting package do this as well? I'm curious not so much because I'm looking ahead to the other two, who are on the same academic track as their brother, but rather to get a sense of the population taking the PSAT at the end of the sophomore year. I assumed that the slight differential in percentile ranking for him on one side (ELA) meant that most of the sophomore PSAT takers are doing it because they are strong academic performers with National Merit hopes, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Blimey it does all sound very complicated - good job we don't have anything like that here ( or just send our guys over to you). I'm stressing enough about getting Big Boy through his A- levels - the one set of exams that we use to get University offers. They sit them at 18 and hope they get the grades they need.

DS is finishing his sophomore (second) year. By the time he submits his college applications in the fall of his senior year, he will have sat for the following standardized tests: PSAT (twice), SAT, ACT, three or four AP (advanced placement) exams, two or three SAT subject tests, and state subject mastery exams in all core subjects (each area of math, each area of science, English, world and American history, social studies, Spanish, and probably a couple other ones I'm forgetting). We pay for all of them except the state tests, and most of them are administered on weekends. The American system has gone utterly mad with these tests!

Blimey it does all sound very complicated - good job we don't have anything like that here ( or just send our guys over to you). I'm stressing enough about getting Big Boy through his A- levels - the one set of exams that we use to get University offers. They sit them at 18 and hope they get the grades they need.

We do not have it here either Margo. The US is a hive of standardised testing, gifted programs and all sorts of other fun stuff.

My oldest is very, well, we will just call him opinionated. He did not want to sit for state tests this year and begged me to opt him out. I refused and told him that sometimes we have to do things we don't want to. He is very against standardized testing and I would not be surprised to see him leading some student boycott against them someday. sigh.

as far as recruiting goes, it is good to know we have knowledgeable people on here to help! Our new coach does not have many contacts, as he is barely out of college age himself. AC was a college coach, so hopefully he has the contacts needed.

So my eldest (the non-gymnast) took the PSAT a year early for practice because his high school recommends it for some kids. Do most gymnasts and other athletes who are looking to put together a recruiting package do this as well? I'm curious not so much because I'm looking ahead to the other two, who are on the same academic track as their brother, but rather to get a sense of the population taking the PSAT at the end of the sophomore year. I assumed that the slight differential in percentile ranking for him on one side (ELA) meant that most of the sophomore PSAT takers are doing it because they are strong academic performers with National Merit hopes, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Two DD's are very strong academically but son is not. My oldest (former gymnast) is graduating this year and had taken PSAT as sophomore and junior, SAT and ACT in senior year plus all required state testing and AP exams.

Gymmie who is a freshman has already been asked by one school about PSAT/SAT. She will take first PSAT this Fall and follow older DD's path as far as testing. Her twin brother (non gymnast athlete) may wait a year on PSAT and has opted out of one of our "new" not-yet-required state test.

Sorry, I think we've sidetracked this thread again!

We do not have it here either Margo. The US is a hive of standardised testing, gifted programs and all sorts of other fun stuff.
The last 6 weeks of this school year are testing, and DD's classes are all done with teaching material because of it. But, the state mandates a minimum number of days in school, so she's going and doing nothing all day. Why no one can see the foolishness of this is beyond me.

I think the college coaches have to be aware that the boys develop more slowly and you can't gauge potential as effectively when they are 13 or 14 as you can with at least some of the girls. But with the small number of slots, that makes the recruiting game pretty tough for the boys and the coaches! I don't know that much, but it seems like D is on a great upward trajectory and will finish JO with lots of momentum and gas in the tank. Shouldn't that count for something? And if so, how do you show that?

I was thinking more about this, and I am now so curious if there is such mass pandemonium surrounding recruiting for boys. Everything I've posted has been in reference to what I know on the WAG side. I don't think I know any boys that have webpages, but then again, we don't really know many of the boys! I have to imagine that they'd need to start early because of the much more limited number of college teams, though.

One of our boys did have a webpage that he sent out to colleges when he was going thru recruiting. He was offered a couple of spots but grades were an issue. He is now competing in college. I don' tthink he did his page until his sophomore year.

I was thinking more about this, and I am now so curious if there is such mass pandemonium surrounding recruiting for boys. Everything I've posted has been in reference to what I know on the WAG side. I don't think I know any boys that have webpages, but then again, we don't really know many of the boys! I have to imagine that they'd need to start early because of the much more limited number of college teams, though.

I know 2 boys who are seniors this year, both moving onto college gymnastics. I don't recall hearing nearly as much as we hear about WAG recruiting.

Coaches are now recruiting and "verbaling" girls after their 8th and 9th grade year...wouldn't waiting until sophomore year to start putting videos up and sending to coaches be too late in today's recruiting world?
Yes, but these girls are national team members. If you've got a successful elite, I think the recruiting will take care of itself. For your average strong level 10, I'm guessing you do need to seek out exposure, but aren't going to do it until the kid is in high school.

Our most recent level 8/9/10 state meet had college coaches watching the level 10 sessions.
On the boys side, I've only see college coaches at Nationals and at Blackjack.

Even on the girls side in my small region, I haven't seen college coaches show up even at Regionals.

Yes, but these girls are national team members. If you've got a successful elite, I think the recruiting will take care of itself. For your average strong level 10, I'm guessing you do need to seek out exposure, but aren't going to do it until the kid is in high school.

Not all girls committing early are National team members. Some are "new" elites (i.e., just qualified) and others are successful level 10's for 1-2 years by the time they are in 8th and 9th grade. And some are/were successful level 9's who have only competed in a few (or none) level 10 meets. To some extent, coach relationships and marketing have much to do with it.

No, the majority of those committing early are not National Team members.

generally, I agree that you can wait until early high school because that is when the bulk of the recruiting process will start, but it is not true that those young ones committing are all elites and national team members. There are several who have been discussed here who were 1st year level 10's and there is at least 1 level 9 who verballed as an 8th/9th grader (she plans to graduate early). If you look on gym-style, almost all of the 2018's had only 1yr of level 10 (and a 2nd training season) under their belt when they verballed. Certainly not the norm, but it seems to be happening more and more. And while some certainly are pulling huge scores, there are others that are comfortably in the mid/high 36's.

Something to throw out there....Our gym's website is horribly clunky, but team members have their own profile set up on the site (some do it some don't). It's under a link called"recruiting". Do other gyms do this often? If not, it might be a good idea...

Not all girls committing early are National team members. Some are "new" elites (i.e., just qualified) and others are successful level 10's for 1-2 years by the time they are in 8th and 9th grade. And some are/were successful level 9's who have only competed in a few (or none) level 10 meets. To some extent, coach relationships and marketing have much to do with it.

Hi. Is it too late for 1st time level 9 gymnast as a 9th grader to even try to get college scholarship or even get on a team in your opinion? anyone's opinion? Also, how does one get from L10 to Elite? Is it a completely different track? Different competitons, levels, etc.? Our gym used to have an elite track and a college track, but they did away with elite track now. But from reading this thread, gymnasts with NCAA aspirations will have best chance if on elite track. So what is the point of college track? I am so confused. I wish I knew all of this a couple of years earlier. We would definitey had done things differently.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back