WAG Kip on Level 3?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

JennC4

Asking this on my daughters behalf because she coaches level 3 but doesn't have an account. She came home today wondering if it was worthing having one of her level 3's compete a kip at an upcoming meet this week. She doesn't have it consistent with straight arms, but thinks with the pressure of the meet she'll do it. This is the last meet before states, so she wants to use this as a test to see if she should have her compete it at states. The girl has had an undefeated season so far, and my daughter doesn't want the kip to affect this. Is it worth it, or will the kip really hurt her bar score if it isn't straight armed?

My daughter competed 3 with kip. She scored lower because it wasn't perfect. We understood and we all (my dd, coaches & us) decided for her to compete the entire season with kip would still help her for level 4. However, in this girls case, I say leave it for 4. If she has it great but compete what she knows through states. If it's not completely & utterly perfect, they will nail her on it. That's our experience.

My dd had her kip for L3 but didn't compete it. Her coach wanted her to at a meet close to states. At warm ups, she only got to do her kip once and she ended backing out of doing it when she competed. She ended up with her best bar score and won AA. She figures she can do it at L4. The pressure will be the same whether she does it at L3 or L4.

My DD had her kip for most of her L3 season. It was pretty good but not flawless. She never competed it. Got first at states with the pullover. Honestly, it's not going to give the kid any benefit to compete it, and will very likely cause harm. So why do it? Keep working on it in practice and it will be perfect for L4.

If you kip in the L3 routine you don't cast right? I think you go straight into the FHC. I'm not a coach obviously but that is what I have seen done...if so, all the more reason not to do it...I would rather little bit practice the kip cast than the kip FHC lol

Reactions: sce
About half of dd's l3 team competed their kip. Several were near perfect and got very high scores (half of those were repeats/half were not). Dd competed her kip once and the score was lower than usual but she was so proud! It was the highlight of the meet for her ESP when she had another prob on another event, so it ended up being positive.

I agree with above, though, dont change anything before a competition.

No you get no extra points for doing more, but do get deductions for what you do that is not good.

We were at a level 3 meet. All our parents were all in a panic oh no the "dreaded" other team is doing kips (in warm ups). Oh no our girls don't do kips (we train them just don't do them). The kips were not all that great. Didn't do them in the actual bar routine. Everyone of them blew the blasted never to be done again mill circle. And all our girls ended up on the podium, they did not.

Seriously its level 3. They will have lots of years of doing kips. There is no need to rush it.

Reactions: sce
I don't think I'd change it right before State, but my DD competed her kip all of Level 3. She ranged from a 9.2-9.7. Could she have scored higher with a pullover? Probably... But she was so proud to compete it that it didn't really matter.

Sort of different, but also sort of the same: My DD competes T&T and her coaches moved her up a level on one event 3 days before states, and another two weeks before. It was pretty awful for her confidence. The one event they didn't move her up on, she won at states. The other two were a bit of a disaster. I am still not sure why they couldn't let her uptrain in practice, but not switch her routines till after regionals. Regionals are next weekend, and while one of the events they changed is coming along, it's doubtful she will place on either of those two and she had been winning all three events before the switch. I would say I wouldn't change anything right before states. It's a big thing (to them) for these kids to win at states, so why mess with a good thing right before?

If you kip in the L3 routine you don't cast right? I think you go straight into the FHC. I'm not a coach obviously but that is what I have seen done...if so, all the more reason not to do it...I would rather little bit practice the kip cast than the kip FHC lol

You are most probabaly correct, I am from Australia and our kids do not do front hip circles or mill circles in their routines, so right from the first kip they are required to cast out of it.

If it's not perfect save for L4. We had had a couple to try it in the middle of the season they still scored in the 9.1 - 9.2 range. But one didn't make it and was 8.4. It was a real confidence blower for her. And here we still cast after kip and right into the shoot thru.

If it's not perfect save for L4. We had had a couple to try it in the middle of the season they still scored in the 9.1 - 9.2 range. But one didn't make it and was 8.4. It was a real confidence blower for her. And here we still cast after kip and right into the shoot thru.
But what about the FHC? The kip replaces the pullover and they still need to do the FHC before the shoot through.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News