WAG Copyright permission for music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sneezyone

Proud Parent
Has anyone ever sought copyright permission for floor music? The piece I want to use is exactly 1:30 already so I'd only need to speed it up a smidgen if DD competes 6 next spring rather than 7. It's an old movie theme from 1988 so not especially popular. I'm just wondering what I could expect to pay for 7 competitions of use and whether its even worth it. DD LOVES the music tho so I'd like to make it work.

Not sure about in the US but in the UK we are not allowed to use certain pieces due to copyright e.g. we are to allowed to use Disney (although people do) which is really annoying because some of the best cuts of music for the littlies are Disney. there are others as well in the UK which we are not allowed to use

It's not a 'big name' company or distributor like Disney, Sony, BMG, etc. The Web site, for ex, lists a single point of contact for licensing and royalties by first name. I guess I'll go ahead and ask them directly, how bad can it be? We already own the CD, I just want written permission to use it either as is or sped up a teensy bit for meets. :(

All you can do is ask (and yes, just write directly). I've done copyright clearance for a different purpose, and in my experience, fees vary wildly. Just feel fortunate that you're not asking the New York Times for anything!

Wow, I followed up on my email to the company with a phone call and spoke to the rudest and most arrogant person EVER! The not-s0-subtle subtext was that he's such a busy man and this is such small potatoes that he really doesn't have time to respond or care. He said they didn't care if we use for this minor purpose as so many on YouTube have done. I politely asked if he would be so kind as to reply to my email with a "Yes, this is a permissible use" so as to make sure we're in the clear. He said he may be able to do it next week. Seriously? Five words will take you seven days?!? Ugh. So unprofessional. FTR, it's the King's Motorcade theme from Coming to America. I almost snapped at him that attorney Mom does not appreciate the way he's throwing away perfectly good money for his clients.

Free is great, don't get me wrong! I just dislike the way he behaved. For all he knows I might want to give it to another gymmie or something and I want my booty covered!

Sometime I'll have to tell you the story of trying to chase down a permission for a speech delivered in 1937; the only extant version I could find was on a record produced by a company that had been sold a few times . . .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back