Parents Is Xcel worth it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Xcel is not rec, it's a team. It might be a different team then the JO team but it is a team and its competitive.

Yes. Xcel is not rec in any way. It can't be compared to one hour a week rec soccer or a neighborhood swim league where you choose how often you participate. Every level of Xcel takes more than one day/hour per week to truly master the level with correct technique and polish the routines. Not as much as level 9 or 10, but it is still a commitment that requires a fair amount of training. In my area, average is 5-6 hours for Bronze and 6-9 hours for silver. Past that is 12+ hours. Not as much as JO optional levels, but a lot more than many different leagues or sports. That is because most gyms are still teaching gymnastics in these practices, and mastering gymnastics takes a diverse array of training. It sounds like your gym teaches gymnastics in the Xcel levels and it may be the most successful place for her. There are some gyms with dysfunctional Xcel programs, but that is true of compulsory and even optional programs too. Just because it exists doesn't mean most places are like that. As long as they use correct progressions to teach your child gymnastics, having it be called Xcel instead of level 4 has nothing to do it with how difficult it is overall. It does mean she will be able to avoid doing some elements in her routines that will cause her deductions due to her flexibility - splits, walkovers. So she may be more successful there. It also sounds like there is movement between the programs t your gym so they've determined this level -which is between level 3 and 4 - is best for your daughter right now.

She's only 8, I would encourage her to repeat level 3. My DD competed and repeated level 3 at ages 8 and 9, did a year at level 4 as a 10 year old and then scored out of 5 and competed 6. She's now training level 7/8 skills and just turned 12. There's plenty of time for your DD. I'll also say that year of repeating 3 (old 4 for us) did wonders for her confidence, she won most meets and finished up the year state bar champ. Her first year she hardly placed at all and her form was terrible.

Sounds like the Xcel team at your gym is really a team, so a good option for her, if you don't want her to repeat level 3. And, if they're getting more hours than level 3 anyway, she may improve quite a bit there.

Xcel sounds like a great option for your DD to grow, work on her flexibility and gain confidence. Here in VA, Xcel is VERY competitive and not a rec. team AT ALL. Not a waste of time in the least. If it is like that there, I'd say go for it.. But also don't be afraid to repeat Level 3. As I've learned through Chalk Bucket-- Competitive gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint. :)

Xcel is not rec, it's a team. It might be a different team then the JO team but it is a team and its competitive.
I agree. I saw some amazing athletes at Xcel states that certainly could hold their own in JO! Our school does use it pretty competatively, but I just wanted to illustrate to OP that there is a really big range as to how it is used. It has been a great experience for us and I definitely was not trying to say it was rec. I have just seen the phrase "bascially rec" used more than once here. Like you said, it is all about what works for your child and your family. :)

Xcel sounds like a great option for your DD to grow, work on her flexibility and gain confidence. Here in VA, Xcel is VERY competitive and not a rec. team AT ALL. Not a waste of time in the least. If it is like that there, I'd say go for it.. But also don't be afraid to repeat Level 3. As I've learned through Chalk Bucket-- Competitive gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint. :)
Agree with above post. I heard at the gym last night that there were 1,800 girls registered for the Xcel state competition in Virginia. That's a huge growth in a short period of time and it is very competitive. It's been a great program at our gym for girls who want to take a different path. And they're definitely still learning new skills even at the platinum and diamond levels.

Many girls repeat level 3 though (and yours is still quite young). I am not sure how many programs let girls move back and forth between USAG and Xcel. It might be important to understand whether the door is closed on USAG if you go the Xcel route. It's sounds like some gyms don't operate that way, but I am not aware of girls in our gym who have moved backed to USAG.

My DD is not particularly flexible either (in back and shoulders) and has still scrapped her way to level 9. Once they make it to optionals, the coaches can work around a lack of flexibility (at least to some degree). I assume the same flexibility is available in Xcel.

Agree with above post. I heard at the gym last night that there were 1,800 girls registered for the Xcel state competition in Virginia.

Yes! Up from 1,200 last year. We're having to co-host it again to get it all done in 3 days by having sessions going on simultaneously in the building with 2 full sets of equipment.

One of my daughter's teammates struggled in compulsories for years because of her lack of flexibility. She switched to Xcel this past year and finally, all her hard work and dedication is paying off. She can tailor her routines to her strengths and she is shining as an Xcel gymnast. Fact is, 99% of kids doing gymnastics, whether it be JO Levels 1-10 or Xcel, won't end up doing college gym. What's important is that they are happy and having fun.

I wish we had xcel in Aus! Sounds like exactly the sort of program my dd would love.we do have club levels (had??? I believe some gyms have ditched them with the new ALP?) but it is more like rec and ours only train an hour a week. Plus I believe they're still compulsory routines.

DD has major strengths and weaknesses, xcel would suit her down to a T. Plus we don't have college gym, so kids in national levels are hardly going anywhere big anyway.

I wish we had xcel in Aus! Sounds like exactly the sort of program my dd would love.we do have club levels (had??? I believe some gyms have ditched them with the new ALP?) but it is more like rec and ours only train an hour a week. Plus I believe they're still compulsory routines.

DD has major strengths and weaknesses, xcel would suit her down to a T. Plus we don't have college gym, so kids in national levels are hardly going anywhere big anyway.
I agree. A lot of states had a state stream (for lower hours/ability) but most aren't continuing because of the gym aus recommendation for all to follow one stream. But to be able to tailor routines from a low level would keep so many more kids in the sport , in a country with so few are in the sport.

One of my daughter's teammates struggled in compulsories for years because of her lack of flexibility. She switched to Xcel this past year and finally, all her hard work and dedication is paying off. She can tailor her routines to her strengths and she is shining as an Xcel gymnast. Fact is, 99% of kids doing gymnastics, whether it be JO Levels 1-10 or Xcel, won't end up doing college gym. What's important is that they are happy and having fun.

We just made the switch from 4 to Xcel and I'm hoping this will be the case with my just turned 12 year old who is 'flexibility challenged'. Still have plans to score out of usag 5 down the road just to keep that door open. But she's excited to escape compulsories for now!

Well, if your dd is not content with staying in L3, I highly doubt she will want to move to rec classes at your gym. She obviously wants to compete so it sounds like Xcel would be a great option for her! And I see no harm in asking the coach if she could continue to train (on a conditioning day) with the L4's if the schedule permits. That way she would still get to be with her friends some of the time, but truth be told, she'll make new ones in silver! & on top of that, the longer she continues in the sport, she will see more and more of her friends quit.

Your daughter needs to be the one to make this decision. Get her all the information and let her decide. She is the one that has to spend the hours training. Xcel has been an excellent option for my daughter and she would have been great at competing level 4. She chose to go to Xcel and is having a blast. Statistically speaking your daughter has next to no chance of competing at the college level. Besides, I would wager that if you put back your tuition fees into an account she would have a bigger college fund than her college scholarship anyways. Xcel is not meant to be JO. It is meant to be a place the girls can work hard without the intense pressure of compulsory skills. Most gyms treat it just like team and I bet your dd will thrive there. Mine has thoroughly enjoyed learning skills that range from level 4 up through level 6 and she has gotten to skip some skills (they practice them but they arent pushed) that aren't required long term such as the cartwheel on beam (she is going straight for a BWO). Get the info on it from the coach, pass it to your DD and let her decide how she wants to proceed. These girls spend way too many hours in the gym, even at the Xcel level, to have us telling them which track to go. Gymnastics is going to be a temporary part of your life and your DD's life. If it were me I would rather have my DD happy than quitting prematurely.

I have heard that 950 girls competed Xcel Silver at their states in Massachusetts.

Sometimes Xcel teams need to do a bit more traveling for meets in order to go to meets where there is good Xcel competition. Just about any meet you can find will have a bunch of level 3,4,5's competing. But Xcel is still picking up steam after being standardized across the U.S. 3 years ago. It's no fun to go to a meet where you're only competing against your teammates or where you win AA just because you're the only gymnast in your level. If the Xcel coaches are taking the time to seek out meets that are well-attended by other strong Xcel teams, that's a good sign, and well worth a bit of extra driving.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back