Parents Need advice, please.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jen0423

Proud Parent
Hello! My daughter is9 years old and a level 5- has been with the same gym (I also attended this gym) her whole life. I love this gym dearly. I work hard for this gym with countless hours of volunteering and am always championing the gym because it is a second family to us.

Lately, one of the assistant coaches has been known to say just ridiculous things to the girls. I have heard it from Xcel parents and from JO parents. Sometimes they are directed at my daughter - she tells me about it so it obviously bothers her but never wants me to say anything. I try and respect that. Fast forward to this week, she has injured the base of ther metatarsal and is in a boot. She is weight bearing, they want her back in a week to check on status. They are treating it as an avulsion fracture. Last night at practice, this assistant coach told my girl "If that foot is not broken, I am going to break your other foot". Ummmmmm, WHAT? I realize that these girls need to be mentally though, they are! I just have heard enough comments directed at my daughter and from other parents that perhaps I need to say something to the owner. There were other comments made to my daughter as well, "Its just a toe fracture why are you in a boot?" Um, it's not a toe fracture, its the base of the metatarsal. I have all the literature from the orthopod that I am tempted to send to her head coach and say, it seems that there is some confusion as to what this injury is exactly.

Anyway, if you were in this situation, what would you do?

Time to have called chat with the coach to see if he/she understands your Dds injury and how best to proceeded with her conditioning/healing while she is at practice. HaVing a plan add to what she can do while at practice helps. And yes I have emailed the coaches the drs report so everyone can be on the same page. Hope it heals quickly :).

I'm just curious why the paperwork wasn't provided to the coaches immediately. I can't imagine having a kid come to practice in a boot if I didn't have paperwork from the doctor/PT.

I'm just curious why the paperwork wasn't provided to the coaches immediately. I can't imagine having a kid come to practice in a boot if I didn't have paperwork from the doctor/PT.

Fair enough point, I spoke with the head coach yesterday and told her the injury and restrictions "Weight bearing as tolerated with no running or jumping". I suppose I could have sent it with her in writing at the time but the coaches didn't ask for it.

I didn't give anything in writing for my son's injury. I told the coach what the doctor said, the coach proceeded from there.

I'm sorry, what does having a paper have to do with a coach basically threatening a child and not respecting that she in injured? Paperwork or not the coach should not have said that to her.

Jen0423, I think it's far overtime for a talk with the coach. When a child reports a coach speaking in a disrespectful way, this needs to be addressed. When it's not addressed you are teaching the child to put up with abuse.

I totally agree with sce, first and foremost, she's a 9yr old child. I wouldn't put up with my colleagues/boss talking to me like that, a child shouldn't have to.

I haven't ever provided paperwork on an injury. Coaches trust my child and me to tell them what is happening, and they follow through with it. I cannot imagine a coach saying that to my child, ,paperwork or not.

Thanks everyone. I reported it. I tend to agree that not saying anything allows the verbal abuse to continue. I also sent them a very detailed medical report on what exactly she is being treated for with a diagram. HAHA!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back