Parents Why Kids Quit Sports

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Favourites don't bother me either really, unless they make it obvious.
Our HC seems to have about 40 favorites... on a team of 48. With the other 8, she doesn't make it obvious... and it isn't so much the girls as their parents that make it hard for them to be favorites.
*Like wanting PRIVATES because she "doesn't get enough turns in practice" ... but then, she will come in late to half the practices, and during practice, the girl misses turns because she is listening to music on her phone or texting or taking breaks - Optional Level... and they do a LOT of independent work unless they need a spotter - coaches OBSERVE and offer FEEDBACK.
* Like telling HC you will take some of the pressure off her for the home meet by getting the planning and parent sign ups done... then doing NOTHING which leaves HC scrambling with less than a week before the meet!
*Like lying to HC about your ex NOT supporting your daughter's gymnastics to get out of the family obligation to WORK at a meet we host... when HC doesn't know any different.
*Like finding every excuse in the book for your L3 daughter to NOT be at practice... or to come an hour late and leave an hour early (in a 2.5 hour practice) then complain that she isn't getting any better BECAUSE THE GYM DOESN'T HAVE A PIT and doesn't do enough conditioning!

I remember my days as a competitive swimmer. I didn't even want my father to come to meets because of how intense and involved he was. He took all the joy out of the sport for me. It was never better when my parents divorced. That was literally the turning point for me as an athlete, and when I bloomed and excelled. We as parents do not realize what a pedestal our children put us on.

To continue my thought (got interrupted by life), I think no one plays a bigger part in kids sports than the parent. No offense to all the coaches out there, but it is the parent who lives with the child. We have to encourage, reason, and back the coaches, even when we don't always understand what is going on. And we also have to gauge if there is indeed an unhealthy environment for our child in terms of the gym, coaches, etc (because just like there are crazy parents, there can sadly be some crazy coaches out there, I do feel these are in the minority). The pressure to do right for and by our child is intense, and being the guide by the side, not the teammate or athletes themselves is a challenge when we as parents also give so much to and for the sport. I must always remind my husband that it is ok if our child quits this sport tomorrow, and that he never wants to be like my dad was. He is not, bit it definitely is hard for him after a meet not to say, "oh my goodness, if you had just done this a bit better, you would have got this score!" Bleah, lol.What she will take from this sport will carry on for the rest of her life. Gymnastics has helped make her who she is, and for that, I will always be grateful.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back