WAG First year at a college camp.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BPD304

Proud Parent
I agreed to let my 10 year old and 8 year old go to a university run gymnastics camp. There is no one else from our gym attending this camp. Since they have never been before does anyone have advice that I can give them about the camp? Advice for mom?? Anything I should pack for them that may not be on official list? They will stay in college dorms and they do get some pool time.

Thanks for the help!

DDs went to NC State last year for camp and LOVED it! It was a lot of gym time - 3 sessions per day of 3 hours each. They did a skill evaluation on the first day and put the girls in groups based on ability. We had 5 girls from our level 4 team and they were placed in 2 separate groups. So be prepared that they might not be together. I definitely didn't send enough snacks with them, as they often wanted something to eat after the evening session. There was also a door decorating contest that we weren't prepared for. Overall it was a great experience. Not sure they really "learned" much but they had a great time

College camps are a blast, and in my experience, far less overwhelming than one of the mega camps. She'll be grouped with kids of a similar level and placed in a room with another girl who is likely on her own. There will be lots of gymnastics, lots of good coaches, and some fun extras.

I'm so happy to hear that a college camp is good idea! I was very afraid to send them to a mega camp as they are newer to the world of competitive gymnastics. I expect nothing but for them to meet new people, find a few positive role models in the college girls and have a cool experience without mom & dad.

I will bring a few extras for door decorations and will double up on snacks!

DD went to a college camp last year. Packing list said to pack a fan. I packed a desktop model (maybe 8") and caught heck because it wasn't big enough. If the dorms don't have AC they will want a big box-type fan. Also I figured there'd be dorm fridges so I packed bottles of juice, etc. but fridges had been removed from the rooms. That may not be the case at your camp but just a heads-up.

We haven't been before but a few girls from our gym have gone to the NC State one and LOVED it. We have more going back again this year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back