WAG Movement from Xcel to JO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does your gym allow movement from Xcel to JO?

• Yes

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters
I don't know that it's not allowed, exactly, but it has never happened to my knowledge. The two teams are completely separate in our gym.

Its becoming more common. Gyms use Xcel in place of compulsories then score the girls out of lvl 4 and 5 to get them to JO optionals. Others do use it more of a rec group.

You have to enter the JO path at lvl 4 unless you are 14+.
BUT, if you are a proficient Platinum or an EXCELLENT Gold, you should be able to score out of L4 and L5 in one or two meets.

Our gym does allow the back and forth between JO to Xcel and Xcel to JO. We have one Xcel Gold from Last Year that may go to L5 this year (she BARELY made the qualifying score for L4 in 2013-14 season then went to Xcel Gold for a season). If she decides to stay Xcel, then she will be Platinum for a year before doing a score out meet for L5 and competing L6.

Most gyms around us are going to using Xcel instead of compulsories and then they do a score out meet for levels 4 and 5.

Our gym uses Excel Gold instead of level 5. Girls compete 4 (or score out) and then do Excel Gold for a year and then on to Level 6. Some girls may end up doing a second year at Gold depending on whether they are ready for level 6 or not.

At DD's gym, they are generally separate paths with girls choosing Xcel for a variety of reasons. But, now and again a girl will decide she wants more hours and compatition and she will make the transition to JO. It doesn't happen often, butbit is certainly allowed.

Reactions: sce
Its becoming more common. Gyms use Xcel in place of compulsories then score the girls out of lvl 4 and 5 to get them to JO optionals. Others do use it more of a rec group.
Many gyms use it as a separate stream. I don't know of any gyms near me that use it to replace compulsories. (And there are A LOT of gyms near me - about 20 within an hour drive.) As for the OP's question, our gym does not have Xcel, I don't know if any nearby gyms allow movement between the two teams.

Many gyms use it as a separate stream. I don't know of any gyms near me that use it to replace compulsories. (And there are A LOT of gyms near me - about 20 within an hour drive.) As for the OP's question, our gym does not have Xcel, I don't know if any nearby gyms allow movement between the two teams.

I think it really must vary by area. As I said, most/ many gyms in our area are using it either in place of compulsories or they have levels; but use Xcel as the fast track for some girls. Our old gym is doing Xcel gold instead of level 5 (then you score out of 5). A gym in our area that has a national team member is using it in place of compulsories, their girls have been doing only one level 4 meet since the new routines came out. Other gyms use it in various ways; but most who consider it rec use AAU Xcel instead of USAG.

Most gyms in my area offer Xcel as an alternative, less intense program to JO. There are a handful of girls who move over or are fast-tracked to optionals but it doesn't happen too often. A very small number of girls at DD's gym have switched to JO at other gyms; only one has switched within DD's gym.

At DD's gym, they are generally separate paths with girls choosing Xcel for a variety of reasons. But, now and again a girl will decide she wants more hours and compatition and she will make the transition to JO. It doesn't happen often, butbit is certainly allowed.

This is exactly how DD's gym is. It isn't common at our gym for an Xcel gymnast to decide she wants to switch to JO but the few times its happened, its been allowed.

Our gym uses XG as a 5 1/2. For girls who are not quite ready for L6. But then they have a chance to go L6 or even L7 if they get those skills while XG.

Our gym does both. Training hours the same. Girls train the minimums and more based on the girl and finances.

It's not all that non competive, they have states and regionals.

XCel is rec team at DD's gym. Kids are sometimes picked out of XCel to move to JO and vise/versa, but at DD's gym they are two separate streams. XCel goes less hours and is seen as an alternative to JO for girls who do not have what it takes to be successful at JO or don't want to make the time/money commitment required of JO.

If your daughter would like to try JO it sounds like your current gym is not the place for her. Have any other options in your area?

I moved from xcel to JO last year. After competing xcel for 3 seasons (bronze, gold, gold), I felt like I wasn't being challenged enough by the program. So I talked to the team HC about moving up to JO and she said she'd think about it. I kept asking about it until she said I could try out a practice with the level 5 team. They ended up accepting me. I competed level 4 that fall (I got moved up in August) and am now training for level 7. I was the first person at my gym to do this, although I hear some more xcel kids will be joining the JO team this summer :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back