Parents Floor music...how to avoid the trendy new piece

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kcanflip

Proud Parent
So my DD is going Xcel next season and that means floor music. So fun! She's got a couple of favorites in mind but I fear they might be the 'new' trendy piece for the year and worry about multiple gymnasts having the same music at meets. How do you avoid this and what do you do if your DD is in love with these pieces and both really suit her? I've read it's important that the gymnast love their music so does this override the risk of it being a popular and frequently used piece?

That's why our gym does Xcel the girls get the ability to express themselves that they don't have during their compulsory season.

Part of the fun is choosing their own music. We talk about what suits her personality, give her some options and she picks. It's not forever.

Our rule is ... no 2 girls in OUR gym use the same music. You can't control what other girls in other gyms do. If she loves them both and they both fit her, what about a custom mix (mash up) that uses both? I might be doing this for a gymnast in our gym... and i have created one in the past :)

The gymnast should love her music, first and foremost. Would she be bothered if she showed up to a meet and there were a couple of gymnasts with the same music? If the answer is yes, perhaps if you let us know the music she is considering, others could recommend similar but less popular choices.

That's why our gym does Xcel the girls get the ability to express themselves that they don't have during their compulsory season.

Part of the fun is choosing their own music. We talk about what suits her personality, give her some options and she picks. It's not forever.

YES!!! She is already older in gym terms and this allows her to work with the optional team that is more age appropriate. And she is excited to escape compulsories! Although I think she will still do USAG score out meets so that door is still open to her in the future. Until then...super excited to do Xcel!

Our rule is ... no 2 girls in OUR gym use the same music. You can't control what other girls in other gyms do. If she loves them both and they both fit her, what about a custom mix (mash up) that uses both? I might be doing this for a gymnast in our gym... and i have created one in the past :)

Good rule of thumb! And hmm....mash up. Never thought of that but might work!

Jumptwist has some Lindsey Stirling pieces that she might like. If she hasn't checked out that site it may be worth doing so :)

Our gym doesn't do "new and trendy" as floor music, and I'm kinda glad. I would personally avoid it.
Now, understand that I'm coming from both gym and dance, and some dance studios choose to do a lot of pieces to trendy songs. After hearing the same song multiple times in a day/session, you get really tired of it and honestly the routine is "tainted" by that... It has to be something REALLY extraordinary to take notice, KWIM?

Honestly I'm hearing a LOT of radioactive recently, so if she's intent on not having something the other girls have I'd go with the hunger games one.

One of DD's choices was Hunger Games :)
But we found something else at the last minute.

One thing I was told to check, for at least songs that have been out a year, go to youtube and put in the name of the song, and gymnastics, and see if a bunch of floor routines come up. Meaning, it's been really used already. That's one way to see if it's overused.

And also give your coach an idea of what your daughter is looking at. Our first one we submitted, coach said no, that she needed something a little more elegant. One girl submitted something classical, and coach said the girl needed powerful. (and coach was right for both). That at least gave us an idea to lean towards.

When you said trendy, I feared it was going to be that song from Frozen. ;)

Oh my 12 year old daughter would probably rather wear a clown suit to school than use Frozen! Ha ha. No offense to those who love the movie/song.

No word back from coach on her song selections yet. She picked 3. All sort of popular, but she loves them and that is what counts. Wouldn't reconsider even when I mentioned they may be used by other gymmies too.

If you like Lindsey, check out Bond as well. They tend to cover some classical pieces but they definitely modernize it a bit with the violin.

We did not hear any repeats this year except for one and of all songs, it was a really random sort of song that sounded like a bad ring tone to me. One of our girls picked it and one from another gym. It was not the one that I would have thought we would have heard twice LOL

Bond does tend to get used a lot, but not without reason.

Lindsey's been getting increasingly popular lately as well. Again, not without reason.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back