Hours for T&T vs artistic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaddieLynn

Coach
Gymnast
A recent thread on high hours in WAG reminded me of something I've wondered about before. How many hours do competitive T&Ters train as opposed to WAGers? At our gym, everyone level 5 and up trains for 5 hours a week during the school year, which seems insanely low to me compared to WAG. We have had level 10s before though and just had a gymnast mobilize to level 10, so it seems to be working. During the summer there's an option for a bit more time but no one really has the ability to go past 7 hours/week due to the way classes are structured. Is this the norm for T&T?

My DD does 3.5 hours a week of team for L5 t&t. She wants more so does a rec class and an open gym or two a week also. She ends up in the gym for about 8.5 hrs a week, but not really team training most of those. Her gym's L10s and elite only train 6 hours of team practice a week (3 x 2 hrs). I was shocked at the difference as my other DD who trains JO L5 had the option of 12 or 17 hours..

Less, At my DS club which is very competitive and has gymnasts in World Cups, World Championships, European Games etc. training is like

2 x 1,5 hours pre team and young kids (up to 9 years old) = 3 hours
2x 1,5 hours + 1x 2 hours young kids higher levels = 5,5 hours
3 or 4 x 2 hours higher levels/ older kids 6 to 8 hours
Kids can stay at these hours or if they are talented move up to national levels
then it is usually 4 or 5 x 2,5 hours untill they are about 12 years old (10 to 12,5 hours) and can go up to 10 x 2,5 hours in morning and afternoon training sessions for junior/ senior elite.

at our club everyone trains together, although in canada the first competitive level is about equivalent to level 5 in the states i think. We train 12 hrs/week. as soon as everyone is on summer vacation (end of june) we go up to 20, although most people only come for some of it. I am about level 7 tumbling, level 10 DMT/tramp, and those who are ahead of me train about 3hrs/week more i think, but other than that everyone trains the same hours.

The most my daughter ever practiced t&t was 4- 5 hours a week. That also includes the year she was elite in tumbling.

Hi, my daughter has just started in a tumbling squad , she is doing 4 sessions aweek each session is 3 hours long,she has transitioned over from WAG, I'm not sure what path she is taking yet ie national or elite

I train;
M 3hrs
T 2hrs
W 2hrs
Th optional day, 1.5-2.5 hrs of I go
F 1.5hrs
S 3 hrs

So up to 14 hours a week in total, but I'm an adult and I often get told that i 'train too much'. I am only training tramp in these hours, no tumbling and very occasionally DMT in the Thursday session. To answer your question, I think it's pretty normal to do fewer hours in t&t than in WAG. Fewer pieces (with many not doing all three) and not needing quite so much conditioning, particularly if you don't tumble.

My daughter was doing around 22 hours in WAG, I'm happy she's doing less hours in tumble , she doesn't do trampolene or DMT just tumbling

When my DD was training JO L3 it was 12 hours a week. Moved to T&T and trained 5 hours a week for L5. Now that she is training L6/7 she will go 7.5 hours. Our upper levels go between 10- 13. The Elites go around 15. As compared to JO Level 6 going 16.5 and 8-10 22.

Really glad to see this post. My son does T&T, daughter just finished JO L5. Definitely seemed like the T&T hours were much less! This year DS did 2-3 hours a week but only competed L1 in two meets. Next year he will go to 5 hrs a week and hopefully do L3. DD did 16 hrs /week last season. She's a much higher level than he is but even our WAG pre-team (L1 and L2) are doing 4 hrs/week. I guess after seeing this post I won't worry about it so much. I wonder why the norm is T&T is so much less? I know the program is still very new at our gym and the T&T coach also coaches Xcel too so I thought it was just a constraint on her time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back