Parents This whole start value thing for optional boys . . .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

profmom

Proud Parent
OK, I'll preface this with the statement that I don't know for sure that DS is going to be a L8 next season, but his coach seems pretty committed to having a decent sized L8 team and told one of the moms that he could create routines with all A skills if necessary. I have looked at the rules, but I am still not quite getting how the SV is calculated. Please let me know if I've got this right and what I am missing!

-- They get 10 to start with as a base.

-- Then they get .1 for every A, .2 for every B, .3 for C and so on for the hardest seven skills in their routines (except vault, which has a separate table).

-- They either get .3 for an A dismount or .5 for B dismount.

Then here's where it gets confusing for me. They get .5 for each different group that they cover across the seven skills in the routine with up to 1.5 from spreading skills out across the groups?? And then the same .2 stick bonus we remember and love from compulsories?

So let's just say we had a hypothetical gymnast who did the following floor routine:

RO-BHS-BT (BHS an A, BT an A, and fulfills back tumbling group)
Press HS (A)
RO-BHS-Arabian (Arabian a B, fulfills sideways tumbling group)
Manna (C, strength/corner move)
FHS-FLO (FHS an A, FLO a B, front tumbling)
RO-BHS-BLO (BLO a B dismount?? Even though it's an A for girls?)

Would the SV be as follows?

1.0 for the seven skills (.1+.1+.1+.2+.3+.1+.1)
1.5 for groups (covers four groups plus a dismount)
.5 for B dismount

So a 13 and a 13.2 if the kid manages to stick the final back layout??

There is also a bonus for less that x in deductions. SO if you have less that .9 in deductions, you get a .2 bonus. Between .9 and 1.2 you get .1.

honestly, I have given up. At regionals, we finally got to see start values for the boys' routines. D's floor was a 13.5.

E score was 10
D score was 3.5. 1.5 for the EG and then 2 for his skills. He had:
Back 3/2 (C) .3
Front tuck (A) .1
Front hand front lay (A to B) .1/ .2
side somi (A) .1
Arabian PIke (B) .2
Japanese press (C) .3
Bhs back full A to B) .1/.2
B dismount .5

Tht is 10 skills. Take out one of the a's, and you come up with 2 points in D score.

But honestly, I gave up. I just let D go with it. And they change their routine so much that it is easier to clap and nod...

I don't understand it at all! DS has had different SV for the same routine at different meets. And I know switching order can increase the SV because a judge pointed out to the coach just switching the order on rings increased the SV by .3 (which was awesome) but so hard for me to follow!

I don't understand it at all! DS has had different SV for the same routine at different meets. And I know switching order can increase the SV because a judge pointed out to the coach just switching the order on rings increased the SV by .3 (which was awesome) but so hard for me to follow!

Oh, I forgot...cringe, close your eyes, cross your fingers and pray...that they stay on equipment. And not just your kid. Every kid in the gym!!!

I do think you have the calculation right, profmom. It's normal for the same routine to get slightly different start values from meet to meet because sometimes the athlete will get bonus, sometimes a skill might not get credited, etc.

D got skills docked nearly every meet. He would miss his Japanese press, or his giant on rings, or his blavity blah blah. That's why I smile, cringe, nod, cheer and hide. Oh, forgot about gasping. You have to have a good gasp!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back