WAG Is more strength required for a MC and FHC than a pullover?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymhorsemom

Proud Parent
DD (7.5) can do a good chin-up pullover but is struggling to get other level 3 bar skills. Is it a strength thing for MC and FHC? Or is it just about timing, etc? I am wondering if privates are likely to help (she wants to make team and it's getting down to the wire) or if it's likely that she lack the strength for these skills. She is not a strong kid.

Mill Circles don't take strength...just total lack of fear. Front hip circles are tougher, but more timing than strength. They both start with the same "chest up high and free-fall forward," and the key is usually not folding up too soon...or at all w/ the MC. If she has the pullover, no reason she can't get the other two. I'd do a private before missing a year of competition.

Not a strength issue if she's strong enough for a pullover. I just had my first 2 pre-teamers get their mill circle and while both are strong, there are several others who are naturally stronger who are still struggling with the skill due to a number of reasons- not really going for it (fear), trouble shifting hands around the bar, try to rush the skill/timing issues. Timing is even more of an issue with the FHC.
Does she have all of her other skills? Unless your gym starts competing in August, I wouldn't hold a kid back if that was all they were missing, because those skills usually just click one day and the kid is fine. A private probably wouldn't hurt, especially if she is upset about it and it's causing undue stress, but she will get it.

My dd just moved up to level 3 and they start competing in the early fall. They all competed level 2 so they've had the mill circle for a year, although some of them still don't get it every time. Most of them are just now getting the front hip circle fairly consistently and they've been training for level 3 since January. The shoot through seems to be giving most of her teammates the most difficulty. I don't think strength has much to do with it, it does just seem to click for them one day. My dd struggled specifically with the FHC for a while and was one of the last to get it for the first time and she is one of the stronger ones on the team.

We did some privates for L4 kip when it was coming down to the wire. And then we did a few L5 clear hip/flyaway privates when it came down to the wire (I have a wire-loving-child). So I'm an advocate that if a private can get her past the hump and moved up, go for it!
Ask the coach - that's what I did. Especially this last spring, I planned 2-3 privates for the bars, but specifically asked "Do you think she's close at all? I definitely don't wanting her to finally get it one week too late". they told me yes, and they were right. She had a competable clear hip and flyaway the week before the scoreout meet (yes, down to the freakin' wire)

So get the coach's opinion if the privates could help before decision time, and go for it :)

Both of those skills are more technique than strength. She just needs to figure it out and then it will click.

Definitely a timing thing! I had both my MC and FHC, took some time off due to an injury and lost both! I'm just now starting to get the rhythm back. Fortunately my gym competes complusries (AAU) in the spring so I've got some time to work everything out! (Yes I'll be a 15 yo L3)

timing and technique......when DD was learning it, coach made her stick her chin up and look up, (not straight up, just upwards) and move shoulders forward and high, not down and around.
if this makes sense.

Yup, definitely timing/technique. We had a level 2 last year who struggled all season with the pullover and weirdly was more consistent with her mill circle.

Dd ended up finally getting her mill in a private. It was actually a private for the ROBHS. At the end of it I asked the coach to take a look at her mill. Literally 5 minutes of private coaching and she had it, and has kept it. I think sometimes they just need the tiniest bit of extra personal attention to get them over the hump.

My dd is a wire loving child too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back