WAG Front walkover on beam before back handspring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't *think* it's typical, but it happens. My DD got her backward roll, then BWO ( then BWO/BWO, then lost it, then got it again), then cartwheel, then front walkover, then round-off on beam, and has never even attempted a BHS. In fact, she doesn't even have great standing BHSs on floor.

Not at our gym unless they are testing for TOPs in which case the younger ones need the FWO but not the BHS (until the next year, when they do need the BHS also). :)

A front walkover is usually easier for people, but its not as progressive. That's why people don't do it. Not for the difficulty but that there isn't much point.

Some kids are much more comfortable going forward, in which case I don't think it's that uncommon- at least not if the coach allows it. I think in most cases it's just not an option in a coach's mind, so kids don't work them.

It's very common to do a front walkover before a back handspring, front walkover is a non flight skill and in the FIG code of points is the exact same value as a back walkover or a cartwheel.

But most of my kids find the fwo harder than the Bhs, it's a blind landing with the foot.

Many of my optional level athletes were proficient at FWO before a BHS, usually due to fear of back tumbling on a beam. As Aussie_coach stated, the FWO is a non-flight skill. However, in the JO COP a FWO & BHS are both B skills.

I think front-walkovers are beautiful. How are her back-walkovers? She may find front tumbling easier than back-tumbling. However, you can't really compare a front-walkover and a back-handspring. While they both are of B value (in USAG JO), they are both totally different skills. One is a flight element and the other is a blind-landing acro element.

My guess is that she has great back and shoulder flexibility...am I right? I have a training level 4 (very flexible) who does gorgeous front-walkovers on low beam. Doesn't yet have a back-handspring, or even a back walkover. She finds front tumbling much easier and less scary (and she has the tools to do it: great balance, great flexibility).....although that will have to change very soon when she goes to train for level 5 ;) In the meantime, I'll let her work front-walkovers. I think they're a great skill to have and honesty one of my favorites to watch at meets!

What level is your DD training? She doesn't need flight until level 7 is USAG JO, although she can compete it in level 5. However, she cannot compete a front-walkover until level 6. Back-handspings take awhile to learn, especially because of the hand placement. A lot of kids have trouble getting the hang of it because their hands are wired to be side-by-side throughout compulsory routines for handstands and back-walkovers (and front-walkovers!). So switching up their hand placement for back-handsprings can make learning them a much longer process.

Don't stress :) A front-walkover is a great skill to have...many don't ;) The back-handspring will come! Figuring out her hand placement is the hardest part. From there on, its just like doing it on a floor line. Does she know how to put her hands? That's usually the first step. I'm sure her coaches have told her, but if she's confused have her ask them!

Also, I read up there ^^ in the comments that front-walkovers aren't progressive.......WHAT! They totally and completely are. Front walkovers can lead to front-walkover-front-walkover (series for level 7), front-handsprings, front aerials, front tucks, etc. Understanding and feeling comfortable with blind landings is HUGE. Many gymnasts never feel confident in performing forward skills on beam, so to have your DD doing them this early is terrific.

DD's L8 beam routine included a FWO. She's in the process of upgrading to a FHS, and eventually the plan is for that to become a front aerial. I love the FWO -- it's a beautiful skill on beam if done well. Several of our L8 girls have one in their routines!

DD will do FHS-BHS for level 8. Also has FT for level 9. she's fine with blind landings, even on beam - as long as she's not having to connect backwards elements she's good to go (right now - vestibular backwards stuff). However, her shoulder flexibility is awful and she still can't do FWO even on floor! Her coach did mention that its not easy to get the connection credit and that its not as progressive...but for her its a series with 2 flight skills - and its the one she can make herself do - so that's progress!

I love the look of FWO on beam - DD just isn't built that way!

Hmph, DD does have a flexible back...kinda curved even. She has her BWO too, it's just the flight and hand placement that's got her hung up on the BHS. She mentioned the coaches have her working with a band of some kind (to keep her hands together?) on the low beam so I'm sure it will come with time. I just thought it was strange. She looks so comfy with the blind (and scary looking!!) front walkover landing and so tentative with the back handspring. DD is only doing level 5 this fall but our gym likes them to have solid level 6 or 7 skills ready for the winter optional season (most girls do 6, rockstars do 7). We're nearing the end of the up-training season and I assume the coaches are sizing them up to decide which elements will go in each girl's optional routines. It's always a thrill to see the new stuff!

She mentioned the coaches have her working with a band of some kind (to keep her hands together?)
Let me know if you find out more about this band! My DD is very comfortable with her BHS-she almost never falls off-but it's not pretty. HC says she's placing her hands incorrectly and he's correcting it. I wonder if this band would help. I can only assume mine cannot do FWO on beam since I've never seen her do it? I'll have to ask her. But sounds like a cool skill! Good luck! :)

DD's L8 beam routine included a FWO. She's in the process of upgrading to a FHS, and eventually the plan is for that to become a front aerial. I love the FWO -- it's a beautiful skill on beam if done well. Several of our L8 girls have one in their routines!

+1 to the comments that this combo is used.

I have constructed BB routines using this approach, FWO/BHS or other similar derivations. This covers the requirement in JO Optionals that ask that the gymnast use front/side and back elements in the BB routine.

Best, SBG -

I heard a judge saying she almost always gives connection credit for a fwo-bhs series but is very picky about a questionable bhs-bhs series at level 8/9. This was just one judge, but goes to show that it's a valuable series to have.

My DD has a beautiful FWO on the beam and competed it all last season in L6. It wasn't a common skill to see at the meets we went to. Most girls did BWO and some did BHS. The FWO came much easier for her on the beam than the cartwheel did when she was first learning it. Her coaches told her that the FWO will help her to eventually do a FT on the beam. She still doesn't have the BHS on the high beam and it isn't great on the low beam yet. She hasn't practiced the BHS on the beam much, but will once summer training starts.

Ok, I will ask DD about this band thing. Maybe there's a name on it? I don't like to ask prying questions about skills (don't want to pass on my neuroses) but this one I can ask under the guise of Christmas planning. She's already requested conditioning/gym gear. lol.

Let me know if you find out more about this band! My DD is very comfortable with her BHS-she almost never falls off-but it's not pretty. HC says she's placing her hands incorrectly and he's correcting it. I wonder if this band would help. I can only assume mine cannot do FWO on beam since I've never seen her do it? I'll have to ask her. But sounds like a cool skill! Good luck! :)
FYI she says she CAN do it, but is not very comfortable with it. Her order of beam comfort is BHS, BWO, CW then FWO, believe it or not. She is also a "weirdo" with the order she gets some things. Lol. I need to google this combo. I can't picture this combo, but it sounds cool!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back