Parents Travel Question, coaches pls pipe in too

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
In September our family is going on a cruise from Europe to America (we live in America). It is an 11 night, transatlantic cruise. We will be homeschooling our twins next year; but their little sister will be staying in public school. (twins are going into middle school and we have chosen to try homeschooling for a number of reasons, mostly middle school related - from horrible schedule (kids get off of the bus around 5:00 in the evening!!) to school related concerns.)

My parents are going on the cruise too. They plan to go to Europe and travel around a bit before the cruise. Initially they asked me to consider having the twins (will be young 11 year olds then) fly over a week early and they would get them from the airport and travel with them some before the cruise.

I was inclined to do this. It would mean about 2.5 weeks out of practice (DS would miss about 8 practices - he does 12 hours per week, split in 3 practices. DD would miss about 13 practices, she does 20 hours per week, split into 5 practices); but the pros of the experience outweighed the missed practice to me. My mom has now asked me to consider having the kids go over with them even earlier, they would do 11 days in Europe before the 11 night cruise. This would have DS missing about 10 practices and DD missing about 16 practices. All in September. DS just moved up to level 6. I honestly expect him to do two seasons of level 6. Competitions will start around late November. DD is hoping to do level 6 (has to get her cast handstand, if she doesn't get that she will probably do Xcel platinum I'm guessing). Competitions will start probably one in December and then really get going in January.

Most of me is inclined to let them do the trip. I think that the extra days will let them have even more of an amazing trip. The opportunity to travel with their grandparents like this is something that they will remember for the rest of their lives. Their grandparents won't always be up to doing a trip like this with them. My mom was a teacher and I know that she will keep up the homeschooling with them on the trip not only via the sights that they will see; but she will also encourage them doing journaling and my step dad is a math genius and will have no problem doing math with them. My parents are they type of travelers that the kids would be going to forts, museums, and other educationally significant sites. The kids would be out and active the entire time, though it obviously won't be the same as being in the gym.

On the flip side though... my kids are NOT super stars who pick up skills easily. They work hard and bust their butts for each new skill. So, 3 weeks out of the gym WILL likely hurt them where their gymnastics is concerned.

So... WWYD?

Same--have them go, and don't even put the gymnastics worry in their heads. Be prepared for them to be behind when they get back (and maybe mention it to them about how it will take a while to get back) and then carry on. They may not do as well in the first few meets of the year (but I'm betting they'll be fine) but by the end of the season they'll be where they would have been normally. What a wonderful opportunity!

Definitely take advantage of such a wonderful opportunity.

I would suggest getting a home holiday training schedule for your gymmies if they are worried about getting behind -so that several times a week they are doing core strength- this way there won't be such a big catchup when they return to class.

Good luck and have fun:)

Another vote for LET THEM GO! :)

We are taking DD out of gym for three weeks of practice in June (4 hours X 5 days/week). At a point when her skill completion by august is the most important thing between being L6 in the fall or XG. I hemmed & hawed, and was thinking "how could I do that and have her miss SO much? what if this trip is what causes her to be XG instead of L6??". Well, you know what? If she is XG in the fall this year, she will certainly be L6 or L7 the following year, and move forward.
If we didn't take this 2 1/2 week trip to Ireland with grandma this year, there's no guarantee that it would happen in the future. Case closed :)

I think a trip like that for your kids will last a lifetime!!!

Go, go, go. They are young, and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. As they get older, doing things like this will get more difficult.

I say Let them go, you are only a kid once with the lack of responsibilities and enjoy life to the full. Sounds like an awesome trip and so much to learn.
Maybe theu wildl backtrack a little, maybe they won't. But they will remember this trip way more than another few hours in the gym. How would you feel if they didn't go and then were injured or decide to stop gym and had missed this opportunity.

Another vote for letting them go. I know for my DD her time off does wonders for renewing her energy and focus. Sounds like fun!

Absolutely let them go! I know I would have jumped at a chance to go to Europe for any amount of time! Those experiences are so important and should never be trumped by a sport! School maybe but NEVER a sport! Have a great time on your vacation. Just a little jealous over here!!!

Absolutely let them go!!! If it was your garden variety camping trip or something, I would feel different, but this will truly be something they'll remember forever!
I think you would be smart to have them prepared to lose a little ground at gym though.
If it were me, I'd have them ask their coaches for "gym homework" during their trip. It would go a long way to just have them stretch at night while winding down, for instance. I know, I know, let them be kids and not worry about gym.... But to lots of kids this age their chosen activity is very important and if you can give them a small tool to let them feel like they're doing something to keep up and help themselves maintain and not miss out on too much, that's a good thing. :)

Just went through something similar! In general, it will take about 2 days in the gym for every day missed to get back to where they were. However, it WILL be worth it! Unfortunately, mine missed a week of practice in the middle of meet season. (I will NOT do that again, but it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.) Summer time is the perfect time for something like this. If your kids have been doing this sport a long time, it could be a great chance for them to remember they have an identity outside of gym. My dd actually asked me if it was "okay" that she wished the vacation had lasted a little longer! LOL The mental break is also good for them. I agree that some sort of conditioning regiment will be helpful, but nothing too strenuous.

Agreed with everyone, do the trip! It sounds amazing! I took my dd out for 2 1/2 weeks in July before her first L10 season for a family vacation that was a once in a lifetime opportunity for us, too. Did it slow her down for a month or so? Yes. Would I do it all over again? Absolutely. I would recommend they keep stretched and maybe do some strength work every couple of days but only IF they want to. My dd planned on it, but never did on the whole trip, so I took that as the trip being a really needed mental break for her. It might take a bit of time to get back into all skills, and they will be sore, but they will also come back rested and ready to work with stories and adventures to last a lifetime!

They will remember the trip far more than they will remember the 3 weeks of practice. What if they suddenly decide to quit gym next year, would you go back and wish they had gone on the vacation? They can always do some conditioning and stretching on the trip to keep their strength. I hope you all have an amazing time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back