Parents CGM vs. Sane balanced mom.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Just wanted to share a story..
I had my DDs meeting to discuss optionals and to ask all my questions etc. DD scored out of L5 with a 33 and is training L6/7.
All of the sudden, a WAVE of blankness came over me and I had no questions. Then, just started talking and told the coach that I felt there was no way for her, or anyone, to be able to say what level she will compete 7 months from now, and that as long as my 10 yo daughter is happy and progressing, I dont care what she competes! (gasp!)
Then I went ON to say that my DD has many interests and that she loves school and being on the Honor roll and that chances are, she will never want come to the gym 25+ hours a week. YIKES!
THEN I went on to say that I want her to compete at the level where she would be the most successful and not at a level that would make her feel like she sucks....probably L6 if anything!!!!!!!

The coaches smiled, said they wished all meetings went this way and said she will definitely make it to optionals in January, probably L6, and a very small chance of L7.....

It only took me 8 years to get to this point! I hope I didnt ruin her chances of 'making it'!!!

In my own humble opinion, you solidified her chances of "making it" - of making it to be as successful in gymnastics as she can, while excelling in everything she wants to, without coaches pushing her to where she no longer wants to be in gym :)

Sometimes I try so hard to keep my inner CGM in check that I worry I come across as completely disinterested lol.

You are very sane!
I totally started re thinking my 'disinterested' conversation and second guessed myself!!!!! My inner CGM!!! I should have asked what skills she needs, and how many days she needs to come to get them!
What I'd the coaches take my girl as, 'parents are not fully committed'!!!!
What if me saying L6 is fine, means others will be pushed more!!!

OK.....CGM moment over.
She will be fine, and happy no matter what level....oooooouuuuuummmmmmm

Thanks everyone for making me feel good.......we are so busy thinking of our kids successes, we overlook ours.

I love so much that at 2:27 this afternoon you had your act together and feeling as though, after 8 years, you finally got this figured out. But some time before 6:49 you were obsessing. That is so me. I guess it's just a continous work in progress.

But you should feel good, your 2:27 attitude is so great!! Keep channeling it!! I'll try to too! :)

Thank god for CB......where else can I share this stuff?
The ONLY others that understand are all you guys.....
Absolutely!

I mean, last night I picked DD up and she and friend say "Coach K said A would do her floor routine, but then Coach M's baby came in they didn't even pay attention to us! and she never got to do it!" - made me want to march in there and say "When I paid $175 last week for her new choreographed routine, I was told she would do it once a day!". Or I wanted to email HC who I know is out of the country and say "Just wondering, when does the 'once a day' start".

I held off, because truly I love our coaches, and they are human, and who doesn't love a new baby? LOL!

But, I will be there EARLY tonight, and if she doesn't do her floor routine TONIGHT, I certainly will be asking "when will she start practicing it consistently?"

To me, the fact that I got past last night means I, too, can be sane. Sometimes. and I patted myself on the back ;)

Then I went ON to say that my DD has many interests and that she loves school and being on the Honor roll and that chances are, she will never want come to the gym 25+ hours a week. YIKES!

It only took me 8 years to get to this point! I hope I didnt ruin her chances of 'making it'!!!

Well now you've done it. How can she ever hope to make it to the senior elite level and get on the national team to be in line for the Olympics if you use that sort of approach with her coach?

:D

I heard a story about a former Karolyi gym Mom that took notes of everything Bela did while at practice to discuss with him afterward..... So I guess if you aren't in the balcony taking notes to critique your coach you are doing pretty good. lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back