Life After Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am very sad to say that I went to my last gymnastics practice last night. Injuries definitely played a huge part in my decision (this was completely my decision), last year I found out I have back problems for life, this year I couldn't compete because of a fractured and sprained elbow, then a couple days after I got released from that, I sprained my ankle. Fear also did, I'm scared of pretty much everything on bars, giants, cast handstand, free hip, etc. And lastly, I know the toll gymnastics takes on the body, and I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it for another 2 1/2 years (end of high school), and if I got a scholarship which was my goal for gymnastics, that would be another 6 1/2 years. I cried for hours last night, I was almost in tears before I even told my team that I was leaving, but one chapter of my life has ended, and I'm excited to start the next chapter in.... diving!

Wow! Very inspirational.... I am thinking along the same lines. I've been out for most of the season, and may be out again as I am going to the doctor Friday - I can't walk. Good luck in the future, you will do great!

I'm currently competing 4 - but have a lot of higher skills. I wasn't able to move up because of injuries though...

I wish you the best of luck with diving! I fortunately have only had 1 gymnastics injury in my 2 years of it, so I'm hoping I can continue for several more years. I understand how you feel though, I quit ballet after many years of doing it in 2014. Because I spent so much time turning my feet out, my feet turned out as I walked! That was causing me a lot of back problems.

I was in gym for almost 12 years, and was supposed to compete level 10 last year but only competed 3/7 meets, and all 3 of those were on the fractured/sprained elbow...

I was in gym for almost 12 years, and was supposed to compete level 10 last year but only competed 3/7 meets, and all 3 of those were on the fractured/sprained elbow...
Awe that's to bad that your last season had to be that way! If only our bodies could hold up forever!

Sad you're leaving gymnastics, but am glad you're listening to your body and are excited to move on with your life :) Diving should be fun, and a bit less stressful on your body :) Sounds like you got really far and have no regrets in your gymnastics career :)

I completely forgot to mention, I don't enjoy the sport anymore, which was always our standards for quitting.
I've only gone to 4 diving practices, but I really enjoy it! :)
(the 3m springboard is SCARY)

I completely forgot to mention, I don't enjoy the sport anymore, which was always our standards for quitting.
I've only gone to 4 diving practices, but I really enjoy it! :)
(the 3m springboard is SCARY)
That's why I wouldn't make a good diver! I'll barely dive in off the ground! I can't imagine doing it from up high!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back