WAG Front walkover on beam before back handspring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD has had her front walkover on beam since last year, she still hasn't moved than darn bhs to the high beam yet. She just finished competing level 6.

I heard a judge saying she almost always gives connection credit for a fwo-bhs series but is very picky about a questionable bhs-bhs series at level 8/9. This was just one judge, but goes to show that it's a valuable series to have.

It's important to note that back-back series are either connected or not connected (so they either get credit or they don't). Front-Back series can be connected, but have a deduction for a slow connection (they get credit for the series either way, but one has a minor deduction). However, this is NOT to say that front-back connections are easier :)

DD tells me that with the FHS-BHS the connection has to do with how she swings her hands? (Her issues with her BHS -BHS series have led to a pause and dropping her hands between them - she'll do them all across the high beam this way without fallling - but its NOT connected). She says because she changes direction she "gets" to move her hands more?

The FHS on beam doesn't seem as pretty to me, and her FT on beam (which who knows, she may NEVER compete as even L8 next year is looking iffy depending upon what she really wants to push through) looks very "effortful" versus her effortless BHSs and BT - but I realize that's partially because it is harder.

As an ex dancer I love the look of the FWO and other similar moves when done by the graceful, flexible girls!

At her previous gym "everyone" did the same set of series as they moved through (or almost everyone - BWO-BWO then BWO-BHS then BHS-BHS, then BHS-BT - you get the picture) until about L10...so when DD changed gyms and girls were expected to work many options it actually was very overwhelming for her...but I think it works so much better for the optional girls to adjust based upon strengths and fears/etc.

BWO-BWO then BWO-BHS then BHS-BHS, then BHS-BT -
Out of curiosity, does your DD find BWO-BHS easier than BHS-BWO? I feel like it would be the opposite, but I've never done gymnastics! My DD is just starting to work BWO-BHS (on the beam that basically sits on the floor) and that's what she thinks is easier. Just wondering what the older/higher level girls think.

I'd also be curious to know, with regards to L10, how important is it to have a front skill on beam, assuming the gymnast has both a back skill and side skill?

DD did both BWO=BHS and BHS-BWO at a few meets as a L7 when she started to miss her BHS-BHS connection - the general consensus is that (I think) BWO-BHS is easier to connect because its easier to go slow to fast than the other way around - DD was fine with both and got the connection - until "all things backward" became an issue....

I'd also be curious to know, with regards to L10, how important is it to have a front skill on beam, assuming the gymnast has both a back skill and side skill?

Typically level 10s end up using a front aerial or front tuck in their routine for bonus purposes. USAG posted videos all four events of the top 3 AA finishers from each age group at JO Nationals. Here is the breakdown of their 24 beam routines:

Front toss: 7
Punch front: 4
Front aerial: 9
No Front Skills: 5 (RO Dismounts)

* This adds up to 25 because one athlete competed two different forward elements.

Interesting to note that not a single one of those 24 athletes dismounted with a front dismount. My optionals all train FWO, FHS, ect. But they do not train front dismount unless they are severely struggling on their RO or BHS dismounts.

DD did both BWO=BHS and BHS-BWO at a few meets as a L7 when she started to miss her BHS-BHS connection - the general consensus is that (I think) BWO-BHS is easier to connect because its easier to go slow to fast than the other way around - DD was fine with both and got the connection - until "all things backward" became an issue....
Thanks!

It's important to note that back-back series are either connected or not connected (so they either get credit or they don't). Front-Back series can be connected, but have a deduction for a slow connection (they get credit for the series either way, but one has a minor deduction). However, this is NOT to say that front-back connections are easier :)

I am curious...would you have paid the connection on the posted video?. Personally I would not have as the foot moved, but I am conditioned to work with FIG connection rules.

I am curious...would you have paid the connection on the posted video?. Personally I would not have as the foot moved, but I am conditioned to work with FIG connection rules.
I agree, would not have given it because she picked up and re-planted the foot after landing the fwo, before connecting the back handspring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back