WAG How many hours of conditioning?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I'm just curious if there's a rough ratio of how many hours of conditioning to total hours in the gym? I assume it may differ depending on the level too.

Hours ????? What age? What level.

Really my daughter is only training 7.5 hours.

My daughter's preteam goes 6 hrs a week and does nothing but conditioning for the last 30 mins of each practice.

honestly, i'm not always sure what the differences between warming up, stretching, strengthening and conditioning are, but i can tell you that in a 3 hour practice, they spend the whole first hour doing stuff before they even go to an apparatus. then while at each one, they often have side stations working on "stuff" too. hope that helps!

Pre team, ages 9-12. For 6 hours a week we do 15-20mins of actual strength/cardio ( does not include our warm up /stretching) exercise at the end of each class. This is increase to 30 mins in the summer.

DD is training level 7. She practices 4 days a week, 4 hours a day. First 30 minutes are stretching and controlled tumbling, last 30 minutes are conditioning. The 3 hours in between are broken down into 45 minutes per apparatus.

Hours ????? What age? What level.

Really my daughter is only training 7.5 hours.
I guess I was just looking for in general what was common? My DD is 8 and did Xcel Gold this year (hoping to start optionals) and does 15 hours. I just wondered if there was an "industry standard". Like most things, it probably depends on the gym, right?! I was just wondering what a typical range was :)

It's nearly impossible to figure out the conditioning to hours ratio. They have regular stretching/conditioning time. However, they also do rope climbs during beam, L-leg lifts on the wall bars during vault, step-ups on the Tumble Trak while waiting their turn, etc.

We have four hour practices. The first hour is completely devoted to conditioning at every practice. They begin their rotations after that. So 25% of practice time. Level 5, but this is the schedule for all of the levels.

I'd say 25% is pretty on the money. When our kids return from their Christmas break (our summer here in Australia) they do more strength and fitness work and less on apparatus for the first few weeks. Probably more like 40% at that time, but a lot of it is hidden in games and mixed up with waterfights because it's so hot.

My developmental team spends 2 out of their 4 hrs/wk conditioning. :)
My DDs team (currently L4/5) spends a couple of designated hours/wk conditioning but there also lots of "conditioning" involved in simply doing what they're doing, you know? Doing an hour of bars is tough!!! :)

4 hour practice = 30 minutes stretching at the beginning and at least 30 minutes conditioning at end and sometimes more conditioning interspersed.

It is so hard to say. I don't stay to watch more than a few minutes now and again. But, they start out every practice running, sometimes with a bit of an obstacle coarse. Then they stretch and often jump rope. At each apparatus, they start with conditioning and have conditioning stations during each rotation - chin ups, pull ups, leg lifts, etc. at bars for example. Then the last 30 minutes is all conditioning and strength work. This is pretty much consistent regardless of whether the paractices are 3 or 4 hours each.

My daughter practices for 7.5 hours a week (3 x 2.5), they spend around 30 mins on warm ups and they do around 30 mins conditioning at some point as well, they concentrate on one type of conditioning exercises per practice, for example one practice it will be arms, the next it will be legs - jump circuit and another it will be flexibility and sometimes they join the elite girls and pair up one elite girl and one girl form my daughters group and are put into teams of four, they then go round the corners of the floor and compete sets of exercise like push ups, squat jumps in each corner going from sets of ten down to one, they go round each corner, they first corner they do 10, they next corner they do 9 and so on, they have to do hops, walks in front support shape, running backwards etc from corner to coroner as well,it is kind of like a race and is funny to watch, they have to sit in the centre of the floor when they have done all their stuff, this really tires them out, they all end up collapsing in the middle of the floor.

It is so hard to say. I don't stay to watch more than a few minutes now and again. But, they start out every practice running, sometimes with a bit of an obstacle coarse. Then they stretch and often jump rope. At each apparatus, they start with conditioning and have conditioning stations during each rotation - chin ups, pull ups, leg lifts, etc. at bars for example. Then the last 30 minutes is all conditioning and strength work. This is pretty much consistent regardless of whether the paractices are 3 or 4 hours each.

This is much like our gym. Conditioning is worked in throughout practice.

So if they are on a piece of equipment, as they go around it's seems about 3 stations. One work directly with the coach, move on and to whatever skill by themselves (with coach feedback), then a conditioning step, back round to work directly with coach.

Example yesterday on bars, work with coach, move the other bar and do skill, move to parallel bars and do what my daughter calls gutbusters. A crunch hanging from the bar.

On beam, when not on beams they are doing pullups

On vault, they do their vault. And do things like planks, halfway back to their takeoff spot. Its only half way because the room narrows and they have no room to go all the way to takeoff.

Our old gym was lots of standing around. My daughter does more in 2.5 hours then she did at the old gym in probably 6 hours.

My DD's class has been doing a ton of conditioning lately. She was training lol 2 and practiced 6 hours a week (3hours, 2x). Every practice they start by running for 20-30 minutes during which they take turns coming to the middle of the floor and doing things like box jumps and frog jumps and such. Yesterday they ended practice with an hour of conditioning, last practice they did almost two hours of conditioning. They work really hard. But, because one coach had strep throat for a few weeks, they sometimes had up to 18 girls and only one coach so they did a lot more conditioning. It'll be interesting to see what happens over the summer when she moves to the level 3 group and trains twice the hours, has one coach and a lot fewer girls.

I practice 6 hours per week (at level 3) and about 1-2 hours are spent in total doing conditioning. My gym is a very low key AAU gym so conditioning and hours may be very different at a USAG gym! (Believe it or not, L3 currently has 2 other 14 years old than me in it! One of the reasons I opted for this low key gym :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back