WAG How many hours of conditioning?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd goes 25 hours a week, she's finished her level 4 season and training for 5 or 6.
She goes 5 hours a day, 5 days a week. I'd say at minimum 2 hours a day is devoted to conditioning.

DD trains 12 hours, 3 hour days. I would say as a rough estimate they are doing 30 min of ONLY conditioning at the end of practice, but on any given day there are conditioning drills interspersed so there's less standing around.

Ok. I have a boy...but IMO most of practice involves conditioning. LOL. It might not be outright specific, it might not seem like it, and half the time, it looks like they are playing a game, but it is conditioning.

Out of a four hour practice , more than an hour is spent on "conditioning" and most of that time is spent just on strength training. (with resistance: rope climbs in pike, leg lifts from hang, pull-up/pull-over, etc) It's probably 25-35% of practice time. In the summer last year, they did nearly 2 hours of "conditioning" each day. Equally important to the ratio of time spent, are the types of activities.

In the summer, we will be going 16 and 1/2 hours. On 3 of the days we will do 30 minutes. The last one we do 3 hours of just conditioning. Right now I go 9 hours and we only do 1 hour/week.

This is much like our gym. Conditioning is worked in throughout practice.

So if they are on a piece of equipment, as they go around it's seems about 3 stations. One work directly with the coach, move on and to whatever skill by themselves (with coach feedback), then a conditioning step, back round to work directly with coach.

Example yesterday on bars, work with coach, move the other bar and do skill, move to parallel bars and do what my daughter calls gutbusters. A crunch hanging from the bar.

On beam, when not on beams they are doing pullups

On vault, they do their vault. And do things like planks, halfway back to their takeoff spot. Its only half way because the room narrows and they have no room to go all the way to takeoff.

Our old gym was lots of standing around. My daughter does more in 2.5 hours then she did at the old gym in probably 6 hours.

Pretty much the same for my daughters group on bars and vault, on bars they go round in pairs (if there is enough girls in) and on one station they do pull ups, legs lifts on the p bars, a skill on the training bars (squat on's) work with the coach on the A bars and work with the other coach on the other set of A bars

On Vault they do arch rocks and also go over to the p horse and and hang of the end of it on their tummy's and lift their legs up and they also work with the coach at each station unless their is a station set up they can work alone.

I don't know what they do for conditioning on the beam while they are working skills, I have seem group conditioning in the beam where they stand in the beam and bend forward and touch their toes, the same facing sideways, they also slide their hands up and down the beam behind them (if you know what I mean)

My ydd who is 8 does 12 hours a week, 4 hours spread over 3 practices, the first hour of her class is conditioning and then on events also they do event specific conditioning.

My odd does 16 hours a week over 4 days, she has pretty much the same workout plan as the first hour is conditioning and then there is also event specific conditioning

At the gym I was at last year, out of a 5 hour practice 5 days a week, and 3 hours on Saturday, the 5 hour practices we did about 3 hours between basics and conditioning, and on Saturdays it was all conditioning (which made my private afterwards deadly)

We spend the first hour of practice (on average) running, conditioning and stretching. It may vary at my gym based on what level.

My DD has one 3 hour per week practice. At this practice the first full hour is conditioning. They also do conditioning at each station (pull-ups/leg lifts on bars, rope climb when they are near the tumble track/floor, weird 4 legged walk things and sit-ups at beam time). And then they end with more stretching -so I would say at least half of the time is spent conditioning. I think the ratio might be a bit lower for the 2 hour practices.

My daughter goes three days a week for two hours a day. They spend the first 30 minutes of each practice on warm up and conditioning. They do also have some conditioning while they are waiting their turn throughout practice.

It is very interesting to read the contributions to this thread. I do not think of it in terms of "how many hours" of conditioning.

Conditioning is the 5th event and is a means to be successful at the other 4. At it's most efficient it would be individualized for each athlete.

My application: General conditioning is scheduled for each group. The schedule varies from 30-45 minutes. This is for general conditioning.

Pre-team-L5: Philosophically, I follow the policy that pre-team thru L5's condition, condition, condition, condition when they are not working on routine skills or needed upgrade skills. How much time, really depends on the time of year and athlete. These groups do specific skill conditioning on events. Their tasks do not change much, but have small variances to keep it interesting/tolerable.

USA-G Optionals: For the L6-9's they have the same General Conditioning schedule, but their Event TBC (To Be Completed) sheets have a higher load of specific skill conditioning. The load of TBC's changes throughout the 52 week cycle every 6 weeks. The specific tasks can change as per coach and the conditioning focus changes throughout the week. Athletes can check the pre-printed sheets and work them while completing their event workout. Cycles are high, moderate or low intensity conditioning. If I added up the time, I suppose it would be a very high percentage of the workouts some times of the year.

In the gym, we recognize and reward strength/skill gains. The gymnasts are aware it is a necessary part of what they love to do. If the athlete is aware of "why" (making it personal) and that they are making progress the cycle of fitness is ever changing.

I hope I have contributed to the thread. Best from this short balding coach, SBG -

It is very interesting to read the contributions to this thread. I do not think of it in terms of "how many hours" of conditioning.

Conditioning is the 5th event and is a means to be successful at the other 4. At it's most efficient it would be individualized for each athlete.

My application: General conditioning is scheduled for each group. The schedule varies from 30-45 minutes. This is for general conditioning.

Pre-team-L5: Philosophically, I follow the policy that pre-team thru L5's condition, condition, condition, condition when they are not working on routine skills or needed upgrade skills. How much time, really depends on the time of year and athlete. These groups do specific skill conditioning on events. Their tasks do not change much, but have small variances to keep it interesting/tolerable.

USA-G Optionals: For the L6-9's they have the same General Conditioning schedule, but their Event TBC (To Be Completed) sheets have a higher load of specific skill conditioning. The load of TBC's changes throughout the 52 week cycle every 6 weeks. The specific tasks can change as per coach and the conditioning focus changes throughout the week. Athletes can check the pre-printed sheets and work them while completing their event workout. Cycles are high, moderate or low intensity conditioning. If I added up the time, I suppose it would be a very high percentage of the workouts some times of the year.

In the gym, we recognize and reward strength/skill gains. The gymnasts are aware it is a necessary part of what they love to do. If the athlete is aware of "why" (making it personal) and that they are making progress the cycle of fitness is ever changing.

I hope I have contributed to the thread. Best from this short balding coach, SBG -
You have! Thank you :)

As far as time specifically dedicated to conditioning, my girls do 30 minutes in each 3.5 hour practice. However, I also incorporate conditioning stations on bars, and occasionally on vault. So between 15% and 20%, depending on the level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back