WAG Xcel Hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 18037

For those who do Xcel, how many hours and what level?

I am only familiar with our Platinums and Diamonds, and they do 9 hours a week. Our XCel is a true XCel program though - there is no doing XCel instead of compulsories or anything like that (I don't know of any gyms in my area that do that).

Our Silver/Gold/Platinum do 11.5/week, we are an Xcel only gym and I think that's a little high. Our Bronze team which is just starting will go much fewer hours at 5/week.

Our gym has both JO and Xcel, and Xcel is run like a true Xcel program. We are in Region 5.
Bronze - 6 hours
Silver/Gold/Platinum 9-12 hours. 9 are required and 3 are optional.

Xcel instead of compulsories...Silver and gold 6hrs ( 8 in the summer), we also have Golds working with optional team with the goal of scoring out of 4/5 doing 12-15hrs. (

DD just switched out of Xcel, but this last season her team did: bronze 2-4 hrs, silver 4-6 hrs, gold 6 hours, platinum 6-9 hrs. No crossover, Xcel was considered rec. The new gym has a very small (2 girls) Xcel team, and they work out with the L6s 16-21 hours a week. Here, there is free movement between the programs, and they are treated as equal to optionals. Both their Xcel girls are gold, however, so I am not sure what they would do with a bronze or silver.

I'm in Xcel Gold (this past season we have only had Bronze, Silver and Gold) and each level had 6 hours practice with an extra 1 1/2 hour workout for routines during meet season, and conditioning after regionals.

Our hours are now making a huge jump to 19.5 for Gold and "Platinum" (girls training Platinum, we haven't had move ups yet) and bronze and silver have 16. (Not all hours are mandatory, but it is recommended to come to as many as you can.)

I think our gyms plan is to eventually have however many girls that are ready and willing move from either Gold or Platinum into optionals, but no one is quite ready yet so we'll see.

I am very excited about the extra hours because I am in Xcel because of starting late rather than looking for a less intense program, and I can't wait to be in the gym 6 days a week!!!

Bronze is 4 or 5, and the rest are 8-9, and our gym does all Xcel levels. It is run as a separate track from JO, although the upper level Xcel girls sometimes practice with the upper level optionals. All of our Xcel teams placed either at or near the top in the state, despite the "low" hours.

Every Xcel does 4 hours at my gym, 2 hours each practice, but at different times depending on the level. My gym will also add an extra 2 hour practice in the summer to bump it up to 6 hours.

True Xcel program with no JO crossover. Silver - 6 hours / week. Gold and Platinum - 9 hours / week.

Our Xcel program is VERY competitive with the option to move to JO.

Bronze - 6hrs min, 10 hrs max
Silver - 8hrs min, 12hrs max
Gold - 12hrs min, ? max

Gold is as high as the program had progressed as of this past season. There is talk among the girls that many are either moving to Plat or level 5. My DD is one who's moving but we're not sure where she's going yet.We do know hours will be increased as the coach has already talked to me about adding another day, increasing her week to 16hrs with a bars private as well.

Our Xcel program is VERY competitive with the option to move to JO.

Bronze - 6hrs min, 10 hrs max
Silver - 8hrs min, 12hrs max
Gold - 12hrs min, ? max

This is pretty much what our JO trains at and we do both JO and XCel.

Our kids hours pretty much max out at about 15 hours be it JO or Xcel.

I am seeing a pretty big variation in hours with some Xcel programs training at least as much as our JO kids and some even more. And the program is also "sold" differently at different gyms.

I am also finding how the hours are spent in the gym are hugely different. Which the conditioning thread got me thinking about.

So when someone assumes Xcel kids train less I am finding that is not necessarily accurate.

our gym has a true Xcel program...no crossover to JO. I honestly have no clue what the lower levels are training, but Gold and Platinum trail 12.5 hours a week at our gym.

@Becauseisaid no, I don't mind. :)

I think the main factor is that almost all Xcel parents/gymnasts really seem to want more hours. Many parents/gymnasts complained that we didn't have enough hours last season and that it negatively impacted our scores. Attendance is also "less important" now with more training days because missing 1 day doesn't equal 1/2 of your week's practice. This huge jump in hours would be a bigger deal if my gym had a strict attendance policy, but I think I will be one of the 3 or 4 girls out of maybe 20 golds that will actually come to all the days.

At our gym, L3-L8 and Xcel Gold / Xcel Platinum all go 7.5 hours a week.

During Jr. High Season, some of our girls will start an hour earlier (because they are on the Jr. High team) and stay to the end of our practice... they will also get 2 hrs more the other 2 days a week unless they have a Jr. High meet... so a MAX of 14.5 hours from beginning of August to beginning of October for them (and HC will allow ppl like us with late hour conflict to come in during that first hour and stay until we have to leave). Then, High School team replaces the Jr. High team from the beginning of November to the beginning of March, so we still have the opportunity to get our full hours in and the High School girls have the possibility of 14.5 hours.

So when someone assumes Xcel kids train less I am finding that is not necessarily accurate.

Definitely not the case in our area. I can't speak for all of Region 8, but I can tell you that in TN Excel is just as competitive as JO. In fact, a lot of gyms have their compulsory girls compete JO in the fall and Excel in the spring.

XB 6 or 9
XS 12
XG 12
XP XD 16
There can be some crossover but Xcel is not used instead of compulsory. Xcel is pretty competitive here and DD's gym does pretty maxed out routines. DD is XG and doing L5/6 skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back