Parents Daughter made team--but how does this dinner thing work?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

4-8 practice for my DD 4cx a week.She eats dinner when she gets home. Luckily they eat lunch late, but she's usually starving by 8pm if she doesn't remember to pack a snack.

These are all such great suggestions--thank you! I've already used them to go grocery shopping, and we're going to experiment a bit and see what works for us. The first team practice is tomorrow, so this will be an exciting week!

These are all such great suggestions--thank you! I've already used them to go grocery shopping, and we're going to experiment a bit and see what works for us. The first team practice is tomorrow, so this will be an exciting week!
Good luck. Be flexible, it will take time to get in a new routine.

I invested in many various sizes of Thermos containers and my DD eats on the road. Not ideal but it is the best we can do and one of the sacrifices that we all make in order for her to be in the sport. Good luck and congrats to your DD!

We are all over the place. DD is on meds that kills her appetite so sometimes after practice, she simply isn't hungry and will just eat whatever I can talk her into. Some nights she is starving at break and eats her dinner then. But most nights, we eat around 9 when we get home. It sucks but I guess you adjust. It's just the two of us so we are fortunate that we don't affect other family members with her schedule.

We eat really early. My kids and I eat around 3 pm. It just replaces the big after school snack that they would eat! She is all fueled up for gym and does well. After practice, in the car on the way home, she eats a large snack. Usually a form of protein (energy bites, egg, lunch meat), a carb (dried cereal, crackers, pretzels), and veggies (mini peppers, carrots, cucumbers). She is 8 and goes 4.5 hrs.

Reactions: sce
You'll have to see how your daughter feels. When mine started team I thought I'd try to feed her dinner prior to practice and she wanted no parts of it. She eats a sizable snack on the way to the gym (appetite suppressants like yogurt or other high protein snacks) and then eats dinner when she gets home at 8:15ish (our coaches don't give food breaks - they don't want them eating during practice thinking it could give them cramps, etc.). We eat without her which she doesn't like but understands. Occasionally my husband and I will have one of us eat with her siblings early and then one of us will eat with her when she comes home. It's not ideal but one of the trade offs with team gymnastics...

Reactions: sce
It is interesting to read the responses. My girl finishes at 7:40 pm four nights a week in the school year, and 2 in summer (LOVE the summer schedule, woo hoo!). Because of my job, we had breakfast and dinner in the car almost every night. In my opinion, it is easier to pack vegetarian meals than ones with meat. It has been the hardest on my husband,because he won't eat if we aren't there so he grazes on all kinds of crap food. Meanwhile I eat my dinner at her break, and she eats it on the way home. We are so used to this it is easy now, and also if i made her wait until we got home, it would be awful...she would be a rhymes with witch, because it is a half hour drive. I always get her feedback on her favorite dinners also...last month's fave was a full on snack pack finger foods meal...she had cut up cheese, fruit and veggies with ranch, and crackers. Another fave was vegetarian pots tickers with rice and green beans. If your gym has a microwave (ours does) you can really do well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back