WAG Giants...again...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wgymmom

Proud Parent
I am still really uneasy about these. DD can tap into them in straps, can't quite get over with a CHS in straps, has yet to even move them to pit bar. Summer schedule is about to start, two months of 22 hours a week. Is there any chance she'll have competition-ready giants by January?

I would say yes! There's always a chance. We don't know if it's a timing issue or a fear issue or a strength issue... For example if it's the timing only just one workout may make it to click... If it's fear issue that may click also but it can also take months to overcome the fear. If it's strength issue that doesn't fix itself in a week but can be fixed in a month.

Also her progress depends on how much time they spend on bars and on giants. If it's not the first skill on priority list they may not work on it that often. It can also be that their main focus is on this skill and they do giant specific conditioning, lots of progressions, spotting, baby giants etc. If they really have the focus on this skill and the coaches are able to keep the fear factor away there's a good chance. It depends on all of this. I wish her the best of luck!

Some do, some don't....some are quick, some take forever....somewhat depends upon what "competition ready" giants are at her gym, also. DD old gym didn't have them giant (IF they could have 10 start values without) at L7 unless they had nice, consistent giants with good form - but boy did we see LOTS of sketchy giants out there!

new gym wants giants for all L7 or they do L6 (DD went L7 before new L6, so different story), and there are kids even at L8+ whose giants would not have been acceptable at old gym - this difference has been a challenge for DD, who is "giants challenged" - she has had them off and on on real bars for 3 years now - but she's built more like Simone Biles than Nastia, and giants/swinging stuff will never be as easy for her...this year she may even go L8 but not giant or giant only once - as she can fulfill requirements with other skills...

However, she has friends who got their giants easily and quickly....but can't CHS...so no reason to worry yet!

The ones training level 7 at my gym are at around the same place. They've been doing strap bar giants by themselves since about March, and we just started doing them on a single rail bar (we don't have a pit bar) last week or so with a spot.

Hopefully, the plan is to have them get their giants on the single rail by themselves by the end of the summer, and then start working them on the competition bars for fall to be completely ready by spring.

This is my DD right now. She's the only one in her group who doesn't have it. I'm really curious to see what they decide for her for competition next spring. It's a fear thing for my DD. She can do them on strap and says they look beautiful. She falls apart when she moves to pit and from what I gather her coach has brought her way back on progressions. She's been dealing with this for several months and it seems like she hasn't made any progress. We don't talk about 'it' anymore. She is very strong and fast and scared of her power. I'm hoping that this summer it comes together for her.

I am still really uneasy about these. DD can tap into them in straps, can't quite get over with a CHS in straps, has yet to even move them to pit bar. Summer schedule is about to start, two months of 22 hours a week. Is there any chance she'll have competition-ready giants by January?
Do it all the time.

My DD is in the same boat. She was level 5 last year. It's HC's goal to get them to level 7 next comp season. However, they must have their Giants for level 7 and they can't be "sketchy." HC Is very picky....in a good way.
DD can tap into giants with straps, but cannot CHS into them. In fact, she cannot even CHS.
Is it possible to get a giant without a full CHS?

I am in a similar position with 5 of my gymnasts. 4 of them competed Giants on shiny bar in gloves and loops in March. Since then we have spent some time working on perfecting technique and every session now we do a combination of shiny and wood bar scoop Giants. I'm seeing a lot more progress with some than others, but I'm concerned that we won't be ready for wood bar Giants between bars by September! Even with summer training! It's not the end of the world if we don't have them but it would be nice!

My DD is in the same boat. She was level 5 last year. It's HC's goal to get them to level 7 next comp season. However, they must have their Giants for level 7 and they can't be "sketchy." HC Is very picky....in a good way.
DD can tap into giants with straps, but cannot CHS into them. In fact, she cannot even CHS.
Is it possible to get a giant without a full CHS?
Yes it is. My DD STILL can't CHS reliably and can cast/tap right into a giant MOST of the time. It is much easier if they have the CHS but it can be without it.

Yup, my DD still does not have much of a CHS and no kip CHS but lovely giant giant huge LO flyaway. The first giant would be great with a CHS- small height angle improvements each week..
Patience!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back