WAG Motivation issues in DD training L8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello- new here but hoping for someone with experience or advice. My DD is training L8. She excels at floor and vault. However, bars and beam are more of a challenge. Her coach says she is not being aggressive to get enough repetitions in during the week (hangs out at the chalk bucket a little longer than others, etc.). His exact words were that some other athletes get about 3 times as many reps in during a rotation as her. She just turned 11 and her goal is to get to an Elite track. I am worried she doesn't have the motivation to push herself to do more bar skill attempts. We just switched gyms and she is re-working less-than-optimally-developed technique for foundational skills like stalders, toe circles, and clear hip to handstands. She does not have them yet, even at almost L8. I appreciate your thoughts and advice.​

Do you think she could be having fear issues and she is trying to avoid and therefore missing her turns? My DD has that problem herself.

I'm a big fan of natural consequences. I might point out to her what the coach said and leave it at that. When she wants to move faster to get better, she will. For me as a parent gymnastics is something I can't push her along in. Just like you can't motivate them to do a skill that is scary, they have to be the ones to stick with the daily grind and be motivated. Perhaps when she doesn't get her skills or doesn't place the way she wants she will look at where she can improve. 11 is old enough to start connecting work ethic with results. Let her connect the dots herself.

I'm with wallflower. Especially if she has aspirations to get on the elite track, she's going to need boatloads of self motivation. She's got to figure it out herself. I think the role as a parent is to help make sure she understands that any lack of progress is a direct consequence of what's happening in the gym. It's not unusual at that age to struggle with connecting where they want to go with what needs to happen in the gym, but she'll figure it out.

Do you know if this was an issue at the former gym? We have a wave of new gymnasts at Kipper's gym right now. It's always hard for some of the new ones to find their place and feel comfortable with the routine. If you dd is one who tends to be shy or just really nice, she may hesitate b/c she doesn't want others to think she is cutting in line. I also think it may also take a while to become confident in the new coaches enough to REALLY trust them with the scary stuff. I carpool with a group training L7-L9 and they have commented repeatedly how feeling they could "trust" the coach makes it easier to learn skills. While an 8yo might not know enough to realize that there is a difference in coaches, and that the coach's competence affects their safety and success, an 11yo is certainly old enough to figure that out. You mentioned she "just switched gyms". I wouldn't worry too much until she has been there 2-3 months. If privates are available, and you can afford to do it, you might schedule a few just to help dd and coach get to "know" each other a little faster. I don't think it's necessary, though. I'm sure you did your homework and picked a gym capable of training at this level. Other than that, I will remind you of what you already know. She has to find the motivation from within. Her desire for success must be greater than her fear of discomfort. There is an ebb and flow in this sport that never ceases to amaze me. 6 weeks from now you may tell us she is "on fire" and attacking every event with enthusiasm and passion. Or not. :)

people avoid what is hard......if she is struggling on bars, she will avoid it.....(much like I have very important errands right when my workout class begins!)
This is when a (nice) drill sargent comes in handy......move it kid, lets gooooooo!!!!! :)
maybe an incentive?

she sounds very motivated to be L8 at 11 !

Reactions: sce
DD just changed gyms as well (11 yo L7) and I am trying so hard to be patient and not go in, not watch, not ask. I listen if DD volunteers info, but I really this she needs time and space to go through the social transition and her remediation time to get up to speed on the "right" way aka. this coaching staff's way.

The fact that the coach has already spoken to you about her hanging out at the chalk barrel and the other girls getting three reps in compared to your daughter's one means it has already been noticed. If a coach mentioned this to me, I would think he/she would want me to mention it to my daughter. Now if the coach did not mention anything to me, I would lay low.
My two cents, for what it is worth. I wouldn't preach a sermon, but I might bring up what the coach said and ask how she is feeling at the new gym...of course at 11 years old, you might have some very argumentative conversations, argh argh...but I would still do it. I would probably bring it up in reverse order of what I wrote; first ask how new gym is going, does she have any concerns, and then mention what coach said and gauge her reaction. If she is defensive, I would say it would speak volumes. Good luck!

My DD is doing the same thing.....everyone does 2 or 3 reps, she moves quickly doing one....
I had asked her why she was doing this and she would get mad at me for butting in. Coach said she is "off" during bars.
Low and behold, last night she broke down and told me she is having a a terrible time on bars, because of the FLYAWAY!
She is dying to do it, but can't do It....the agony......she was the first to get it, and loose it, and now she is the last......oh, the shame......( tears, and sulking!!)
I need to mention this to the coach, a small thing could renew the motivation! I can only imagine how she will feel when that darned flyaway is back in full plumage......

Maybe your DD has something small going on, that is ruining her bar universe?

Dd switched gyms at 11 training level 8. Did great in privates but really struggled in full practice. Hung back tons because she didn't understand the new teams girl dynamics, one girl was teasing her and pushed her off high beam when no coach saw, something that never could have or would have happened at her previous small gym, the new gyms bars coach told her her bars were "far from acceptable even for level 7". Despite her having scored all 9+ on bars and 4th at state on bars as a level 7, and she missed her old coach. Her fear/vestibular (she's had both) issues exploded in this confusing environment and her answer was to hang in the background.

Her head coach knew her from previously and recognized what was happening- in DD case it led to her quitting for 3 months before figuring out she missed it then slowly working back. Now learning to negotiate far more than actual gymnastics.

Of course hopefully it's nothing as dramatic with your girl -mines kind of all or nothing about things. But there's a lot more that goes into a new gym than just gymnastics so I'd try to help her figure out what's really bugging her and hopefully the coach told you so you can do the parent part of this and brai storm with her.

Oh, and trust in the coaches huge at this age as well as the kids perception of how the coach feels about them. That bars coach really only wanted DD to get her Giants back, but DD only heard the negative because she didn't know the coach. Now she's got coaches she trusts again and is starting to feel better about herself and the Giants are happening the series is returning and suddenly she's back tumbling....only took a whole year!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back