Parents Telling the difference between the drama queen and the really injured..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Check for swelling and bruising. If they insist it's "broken" but not swollen.... Red flag.

Dd broke her foot and had 5 weeks in casts and she had no swelling or bruising whatsoever. That said she shot through the roof if you even brushed it so we did know she was injured on that occasion.

Dd broke her foot and had 5 weeks in casts and she had no swelling or bruising whatsoever. That said she shot through the roof if you even brushed it so we did know she was injured on that occasion.
Haha yes, there isn't always bruising and swelling. But the pain factor of shooting through the roof was the red flag there :)

I just noticed this was in the parent forum.... Didn't see that bc I'm on a mobile device. I'm sorry for posting here, you can take my replies down. Not sure why I have the option to reply though!

Reactions: sce
No worries, Cali, I've found your responses useful!

In part based on recent events and also on reading this thread, I offer the following rule of thumb: working out vigorously on the events they hate and skipping an event they love = suspect injury. If it's the opposite, suspect drama.

I'm going through the same thing right now. My dd is twelve and she jammed her thumb doing a bhs on beam. It looks fine to me but she is acting like it's the end of the world. I told her to ice and rest it over the weekend and if it still hurts Monday I'll take her to the doctors.

I'm going through the same thing right now. My dd is twelve and she jammed her thumb doing a bhs on beam. It looks fine to me but she is acting like it's the end of the world. I told her to ice and rest it over the weekend and if it still hurts Monday I'll take her to the doctors.
Not to hijack this thread, but how's your daughters finger?

I can add my DD to this thread now. Yesterday at gym (the social, home-school rec class she goes to once a week, as opposed to her actual training group), she rolled her ankle on the trampoline. She cried a little bit, but not much (she's 5). Then she ran out of gym, climbed up the outside of the stairs the way she always does, and went grocery shopping with me for an hour. Got home, and I noticed her hopping over to the lounge. Take her shoe off to discover her ankle twice it's normal size. X-rays today show a possible fracture and she also has torn ligaments.

Of course, today, any time anyone so much as looked at her, she was shaking and tears pouring down her face. But bust her ankle and run up the stairs at gym? No worries.

I can add my DD to this thread now. Yesterday at gym (the social, home-school rec class she goes to once a week, as opposed to her actual training group), she rolled her ankle on the trampoline. She cried a little bit, but not much (she's 5). Then she ran out of gym, climbed up the outside of the stairs the way she always does, and went grocery shopping with me for an hour. Got home, and I noticed her hopping over to the lounge. Take her shoe off to discover her ankle twice it's normal size. X-rays today show a possible fracture and she also has torn ligaments.

Of course, today, any time anyone so much as looked at her, she was shaking and tears pouring down her face. But bust her ankle and run up the stairs at gym? No worries.
Poor thing hope she heals quickly.

So sorry to hear this! I hope she recovers quickly. That sounds like a nasty one.

One word of advice. Aches and pains that come and go seem to me to be part of the cost of doing business especially as hours increase and they're doing things that put unnatural stress on bones and joints (especially knees, wrists, ankles, and shoulders). You need to watch, though, for the pains that stick around -- the wrist that is persistently sore after every practice and starts hurting again pretty much as soon as the kid is practicing, the ankle that needs more and more tape, etc. If something has been bothering a kid for a few weeks and not resolving -- bothering to the point that getting through a rotation is difficult or you see the kid rubbing/shaking/favoring it frequently during practice -- it's time to get it checked out. It's much better to have them lay off for a few weeks to rest a strain than lay off for months to resolve a stress fracture or serious ligament injury. Over the past few years, DS/DD have had a few teammates who were taking ibuprofen or the like before practice to get through, which worked fine until they couldn't. The range of time off has been between three and six months. Maybe you'll be lucky and it will be Sever's or Osgood-Schlatter or something like that, but it's far better to nip these things in the bud if it's an incipient injury that will just continue to get worse without treatment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back