Parents Is your kid a leftie or a rightie?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

is your kid a leftie or a rightie?

• Leftie

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Rightie

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • I have no flippin' idea!

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
Lol, I still use the "thumb and index finger method" for determining left and right. Hold the index finger up and thumb out and the one that makes an L is left.
For driving, directions (from the passenger seat) are "my way" and "your way" ... works for me :)

I can't use that because she finger spells and uses her right hand to do so. So it isn't an immediate association for her because she can see the L with both hands! But it's also a little embarrassing when we are in public and she strikes her left/right pose.

My dd is right handed, but she does seem to do some things in the gym with the opposite leg of the majority of her team mates. Her shoot through/mill circle is with her left leg and everyone else on her team is with their right. Her round off leads with her left side. I think her hand stand is opposite also, although she told me proudly tonight that she is almost as good on the other leg now because she's been working on it. I haven't paid attention to her leaps or splits, but I do think they are also opposite her team mates too. I've had other parents ask me if she is left handed too. I guess it's not that unusual though. :)

I know that she still struggles with right versus left and if I tell her something is one right of the bookshelf, she instantly goes into her "cartwheel lunge".

Missed this earlier.

When my formerly ambidextrous DD moved to team, she had just started becoming right-dominant. Over time, gymnastics only reinforced this, as coaches forced her to "pick a side" and be consistent.

For ages the only way my DD could determine R vs L was from her legs. I still suspect that she uses them for this, only it's no longer obvious!

Thanks for triggering this memory!

Suebee, A right cart wheel is where you lunge and your right foot is forwards. You push off your right foot cart wheel over and land with the left first then the right

Deleted member 18037, my head was spinning too when I re-read that old thread. Question is, which way was it spinning?

I can't use that because she finger spells and uses her right hand to do so. So it isn't an immediate association for her because she can see the L with both hands! But it's also a little embarrassing when we are in public and she strikes her left/right pose.
I finger spell with both hands ... and can write forward and backwards and upside down forwards and backwards... with both hands :)
It can be very confusing!
For a brief moment when I was 18, I thought about getting a very small "L" tattooed on my left hand in the crease between the thumb and forefinger.

I am a righty in life and a lefty gymnast.
My kids are all righties in life and lefty in gymnastics, except one who is a lefty in life AND in gymnastics.
We have a house full of lefty gymnasts. :)

Mine are both righties. . But my youngest actually performs her skills as a leftie in gymnastics. The coaches though she was a leftie and we're shocked when I told them otherwise. My oldest does everything righty with the exception to vault. She recently found lefty is better for her on vault.

Unbeknownst to me until last year, there are lefties and eighties in gymnastics.
Almost everyone has a preference of leftie or rightie when they do sports, etc just as they do for writing. For some it's the same side for some it's not. My dd writes right and does sports left.

Both my kiddos are right-handed, leftie gymnasts. I'm a right-handed, lefty gymnast, too....but not quite as graceful. ;-)

I have just been to poll the kids, and we are a mixed bag!
DS: lefty for writing, righty for gym (but does circles the opposite way to everyone else)
DD: righty for writing and gym
me: righty for writing and lefty for cartwheels, my one and only gym skill.

Reactions: sce
DS-- writes with right hand, but round-offs and twists left.

DD was the same except she preferred to lead with the right leg for back walkovers and BHS stepout. Her coach had her switch the back walkover to left when she started doing it on beam. I guess they switched her BHS too. I was like that as a gymnast round-off left, would do a front walkover with left leading, but right for back walkover. For me, I did feel like my right leg was stronger and it made sense to me to lead left on a round off or aerial because that way you were kicking the right leg up to generate power.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back