daughters first competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym dad Wales

Proud Parent
Hi all,
My daughter had her first competition today ( age 6) though she was nervous arriving at the gym, once she got going she thoroughly enjoyed.
I was quite surprised, even though she has been in squad for just under 2 months she didn't look out of place and seemed to hold her own.
She was awarded 2 special award ribbons, which she was really proud about and made her day.
I can't say I have ever felt prouder as a dad.
As I am new to the world of gym, and even though I feel she competed well. I don't understand how the judges actually mark the gymnasts, so I was just wondering, do they normally publish scoring? Do coaches normally give feedback to the parents?

Nope, if its a big comp then you can usually find the score sheet published online somewhere. gym scoring is quite complex, we use the open ended FIG scoring system so they will be scored out of 10 plus the value of their routines.

Thanks, I was just being a little curious as to, how far away from the medals she was and what the coaches will be working on, i think it was a relatively small competition, so not likely to be published online.
Still, great day and look forward to further comps

It takes quite a while to understand how scoring works and for parents it is even more difficult as they don't grow into it while learning the skills. And believe me, just when you think you finally got the hang of it, someone will change the rules.
Judges will look at what skills are performed and how they are performed. We want to see good technique, body tension, pointed toes, secure landings, hight on flips, jumps and leaps, straight legs, certain angles of certain body parts in certain skills, a smile... there is a long list of things you can deduct on just one skill.
Some parents never understand it and still enjoy their childrens gymnastics. Don't get to involved, luckily it's not your job and it might spare your nerves in some occasions. :)

Oh, I have to add though, that there are parents who ended up judging after years of having kids in the sport. All my respect to that!

Did she compete 2 or 4 pieces ?

What level was it ?

did she enjoy herself ? thats the main thing. competing is a skill and the more competitions they do the better they get at it

She absolutely loved it, especially all the attention she is now getting off the family, it's cost me a fair bit though,
I got to buy her some more shopkins!! She competed in 4 pieces, I wouldn't have the foggiest as to what level it was.
On the floor it was handstand into forward roll then cartwheel quarter turn into back roll, bars was chin up and over then bounce off with a pike hang, sorry for the description but Im really not down with the terminology. Lol! so I'm not going to try and describe the other two apparatus. Ha

Handstand to flat back vault ? or squat on ? possibly level 7, if Wales use the same levels. i must say I get confused myself as my daughter did the beginner levels when they were called novice development, intermediate and county

Squat on vault, she had 2 runs if that helps, I have not got my head round all the levels or the ins and outs of it all, it was her first competition so I would imagine the lowest level of all, she did have a nasty fall on the beam, she straddled the beam, her hand slipped and she went head first on the mat but she dusted herself off and completed the rest of her routine, she was then given a ribbon for being brave.
Got her squad training tomorrow so might have a little feedback back off the coach but if we don't then it's no harm, I would rather leave the coaches alone as you don't want to be the overbearing parent.

She sounds like she is either a level 1 or 2. Scoring is based on pointed toes, straight legs, posture, all sorts of things. Knowing how far away she was from the next metal is hard to tell. The medal you get depends on how well the other competitors did.

Hi Wynn, thanks for your reply, that seems to ring a bell, the coaches are emphasising all those attributes.
I didn't think of the medal scenario that way, out of curiosity really I wanted to know how close she was to the other competitors, as I wouldn't be able to even come close to scoring her myself.
She wasn't even bothered that she didn't get a medal, she just said that she wanted to do it again. It's all about being fun.
I was amazed at how competitive it was at age 6, it took me back a bit.

In that case then she sounds like a level 7 or maybe 8. Normally within a week you should be able to get all of the competition scores and that way you can see how far she was from getting a metal

Sounds like the routines for our level 1/2 girls (they run 1-5 here in Norfolk), and they're due to compete over the next two weeks in the county competitions.

Don't worry, I don't think anyone truly understands the UK system. Just sit back and enjoy the incredibly confusing ride, it's great fun :)

Hi :)

All the competitions I've been to have had a score sheet available at the end. They are usually about 20p from the reception of the club the competition was held at.
Sometimes a copy is put on the notice board of our club.
Perhaps you can ask at reception of your club. You might not be able to get one for the last competition, but you'll know how to get one next time, if they're available.
They don't give you a breakdown of the judges score though. Just the gymnasts total score on each apparatus and the overall score.

It sounds like she did really well for her first competition. I can't wait for my little one to compete, she's only 4 so a long way off yet!

Yup all pretty backwards here lol

Bearing in mind all other comps go down (grades, voluntaries etc), not entirely sure why county levels go up. Swear I'll never understand it all!

My daughter is doing county levels next year as far as I am aware, I think the coach is starting her at Grade / Level 4, here is Suffolk they go 1-6 I think and they also have a range and conditioning part to it unless they have now removed it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back