Parents How does being on a team work when you move?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NMNorskie

Proud Parent
My daughter made the level three team last month, after 10 months in rec classes. She's really enjoying it. She doesn't quite have her ROBHS or that thing on the bars where you go around with the bar between your legs...but half the other girls don't either, and they're working on it.

Here's the problem: My husband's interviewing (rather unexpectedly) for a job in another state. If he gets it, we'll be moving halfway across the country...probably before her first meet, even.

We've looked, and there are two gyms with teams in the town we'd be moving to (it's in Central Minnesota, so not a big metropolis or anything). Do gyms take a kid who's on team but hasn't competed yet? How does that even work?

We're excited about the prospect of moving (although we like it here too), but I'm concerned about the impact to this poor kid who has worked SO hard to get to this point. It's not a done deal by any means, so I probably shouldn't be obsessing...but I totally am.

Most gyms will take new kids moving into town. Each gym will have its own standards and procedures for getting on team. They'll probably ask her to do a tryout with a team coach or come in to practice with their team. I would just call them and tell them about your daughter to see what they say.

Our club would do waht ZJsmom said...they would set up an eval.

And don't feel bad..the first 2 things I look at anytime we have considered a move are schools and gyms, and I am not telling you which order I look at those in....

Our club would do waht ZJsmom said...they would set up an eval.

And don't feel bad..the first 2 things I look at anytime we have considered a move are schools and gyms, and I am not telling you which order I look at those in....

I feel much better, then, because I looked at gyms first. I'm somewhat familiar with the area, so I know where the good schools are...but I have no idea what I'm doing with regard to the gym. (If anyone's familiar with the gyms in the Saint Cloud, Minnesota area, please PM me!)

Most of your meets will likely be in the Twin Cities. Many gyms do compete L3 but not all do so depending on which gym you choose your DD may have to wait another year and start with L4. Compulsory season runs Sept-Dec with most gyms holding their in house meet in early Sept. Good Luck to your husband with the interview!

Look at scoreyourmeet.com. It has all of MN results for most of the local meets and the state meet. It might help you in some way.

Our gym requires that new gymnasts complete 1 session in the rec program before being considered for the team through an evaluation. I think the idea is that this gives the family a no-pressure chance to evaluate the atmosphere and philosophy of the gym as a whole, as well as the chance to watch how the team is coached. Probably a reasonable approach, but not one that I've heard other gyms in the area use.

I think the short answer is that you will need to call the options and learn about their process -- each gym seems to have their own system.

Thanks so much for all of this info! We should know what's going to happen by this time next month. In the meantime, I'm just trying to trust that things will work out however they're meant to (and also, I'm cleaning out closets...so either I'll be ready to sell the house when it's time, or I'll be enjoying the cleanest house I've ever had!)

We moved across country in the middle of dd's pre-team season. The first thing I did when hubby was interviewing was look up gyms and contact them. We had dd in for an evaluation within the first week of arriving into town. They took her onto their team with no hiccup.

Just make early contact with the HC and get your dd in for an eval. It will likely work out fine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back