Parents Sorry if this has been asked before...I'm new☺️

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is 7 and had a melt down today after gym and she was only there for 3 hours today. I just the head shake from parents already for having my 7 year old in the gym for 7 hours a week. For my family, my daughter needs socialization, loves school (so homeschooling is not even an option), and needs to have time to be a kid. She also plays soccer and cheers so she is a busy little girl but she has fun doing all of these things.

The only gymnast in our gym that fast tracked through the levels and now is on the elite path (was Tops A Team for 2 years) trained about 20 hours a week from the age of 7 maybe up to about 24 by the age of 9. She blew through several levels each year and trained TOPs. That is really the kind of talent you need to go elite, and who knows if she will even make it. She changed gyms to really explore the elite route, but recently she has been doing Level 10.She is still only like 11 or 12. 32 hours to be a 7 year old level 5 seems excessive. I have an 8 year old Level 6 who isn't even close to being elite caliber but managed a state championship in Level 4. But I know she really isn't the 8 year old state champ because there are kids her age in higher levels. If your DD is talented enough to go elite she will be able to do it on a lot fewer hours. If not, she can aspire to be a really good level 10 some day. Either way lower hours should be sufficient to get her where she needs to be in 5 years.

Our Gym has program very much like is being suggested for your gymnast that included the younger girls for a couple of years. They have just discontinued allowing anyone below Level 8 to participate during the upcoming season. Of the seven girls who started below that Level, there is not a one that has not had an injury or has quit gymnastics because of burn out.
They are only allowing Level 8s and up do 30 hours a week. In fact they have also cut down the time for them from 32 hours a week.
It is just too hard on a growing body to have to do so many things that stress the growth plates and joints.

To OP, did your DD continue on with the plan of 32 hrs? If so, how is she faring? I am curious because I don't think in my two DDS' years in gymnastics that I have ever seen something like this work out.
You know your DD better than anyone. I worry when I see little ones subjected to these types of hours. At 7-12, kids are such people pleasers. DD may not tell you the truth of her feelings until it is too late. Let us know how she does.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back