WAG Dips as conditioning for girls - yes or no?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Malaika

Coach
How necessary do you think are dips for optional female gymnasts?

I am a gymnast myself, but never got further than L8. I am still doing gymnastics, but now I coach a lot and LOVE it. I am an assistant coach at a pretty competitive gym. They really prepare the girls well and focus a lot on physical preparation.

Over the summer, I assist with coaching the optional group (L6-9). I mainly do basics and conditioning with them, as I do not feel comfortable coaching bigger skills yet.

HC gave all the girls of my group a conditioning and stretching list with all basic strength and flexibility skills (pull-ups, leg lifts, ropes, presses, splits, etc.)
This list does NOT include any dips or push-ups. I asked him about it and he thinks that dips are not really necessary in female gymnastics, we should focus on presses and pull-ups more, as a girl who is strong in handstand presses and pull ups will always be able to do some push-ups and this is more than enough.

The coach I am working with (he is very good and can sport highly complicated skills) told me to let the girl do dips in our daily conditioning. Usually 3 sets of 8 or 10.

It is definitely not a problem or any kind of argument, just two different perspectives. I think this is interesting because both coaches are very good. I am sure it won't make much of a difference for the gymnast if she does a few dips daily or not, but I want your opinion anyways.

So do you think dips are necessary for female optional gymnasts or not?

If so, why/why not?

I don't know if they are necessary, but I do think they they will work some muscles differently, especially the triceps (and I love them... and do them regularly during practice).

Gymnastics requires a lot upper body strength. I believe you should have balance when it comes to working muscles and gaining strength. If you have a stronger muscle group than its opposing muscle group, you would have an imbalance that can cause problems itself. Like having strong pecs and weaker upper back or strong biceps and weaker triceps. Triceps help keep arms straight.....that's important in gymnastics.

DD does something like 30 or 50 pushups at the beginning of each practice as part of warmups, and in the summers they do some pbars strength stuff that includes dips. She's L8.

My 8 year old does dips on the pbars as part of her conditioning and also she does walks across the pbars on her hands

My gym does bar dips on the low bar, I'm not sure why we don't use the pbars to do them! Originally my gym had a men's team but we no longer do so all the men's equipment sits unused with the exception of the rec boys class!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back