Coaches Drills to get beginners to jump on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SweetSecrets15

Coach
Gymnast
So I've been helping teach a beginners class since April and week after week the girls jumps on beam haven't changed. I'm finally taking over the class and really want to help them improve. I know they are scared, but they are literally jumping one cm off the beam. I was just curious if they're any drills to get kids to jump so they actually is a space between their feet and the beam. They work straight and tuck jumps.

Also, I just started coaching so please bear with me!

I'll grab some popcorn and sit back to follow this thread. I have the same problem with a couple of older rec team gymnasts. (Urgh, that darn tuck jump! ... and split jump)

The things I've done so far that have helped... eeeh moderately:
  • Lots of jumps and leaps on a line, floor beams, wide beams, high beam with stacked mats etc.
  • Practicing in front of a mirror (this was probably the most successful thing I've tried)
  • A ton of focus on proper on floor and all the stations leading up to high beam
  • Taking off the pressure when I feel like there is a real fear involved (i.e. moving on to other skills and not forcing the gymnast to do something they're not ready for)
  • Spotting (though I try to limit this one in particular)

There's definitely some good stuff mentioned above. I'd like to add that one of the most important things, especially for beam, is improving confidence and familiarity. The more "experience" they get on the beam, and the more prepared and ready they feel, the better. For example, have them do things that they will never experience on an actual beam, or odd, unconventional things such as jumping from the beam up to a higher block or mat (or vice versa), having them do long jumps, bunny hops, small one legged jumps, and having them do different positions, even weird ones that would never be used. Some of these things can be even more difficult than what you were initially asking them to do, but not as scary. All these things will give them a level of comfort on the beam, and they'll think, "look at all these things I can do on the beam already!" Then, they'll feel more confident when learning actual jumps and other skills too.

There's definitely some good stuff mentioned above. I'd like to add that one of the most important things, especially for beam, is improving confidence and familiarity. The more "experience" they get on the beam, and the more prepared and ready they feel, the better. For example, have them do things that they will never experience on an actual beam, or odd, unconventional things such as jumping from the beam up to a higher block or mat (or vice versa), having them do long jumps, bunny hops, small one legged jumps, and having them do different positions, even weird ones that would never be used. Some of these things can be even more difficult than what you were initially asking them to do, but not as scary. All these things will give them a level of comfort on the beam, and they'll think, "look at all these things I can do on the beam already!" Then, they'll feel more confident when learning actual jumps and other skills too.

Good point! I try to do that at least once in a while. Walking on all fours is a favorite of mine! Both on the beam and hanging underneath, haha.

I find that working through the relevant movements like;
1. Stand tall
2. Bend knees and hands go behind bottom
3. Rise up onto tippy toes arms go up convening ears
4. 'Motorbike' landing
5. Present
After doing this for just over a week the girls got board and were eager to try the proper thing.
Another good tip I find is encouraging pointed toes as they tend to jump higher to get the extra time needed to consciously point and then land. This being said the group I'm mentioning is only 6-8 and I'm not sure what your ages are so this might not work for you!

I find that working through the relevant movements like;
1. Stand tall
2. Bend knees and hands go behind bottom
3. Rise up onto tippy toes arms go up convening ears
4. 'Motorbike' landing
5. Present
After doing this for just over a week the girls got board and were eager to try the proper thing.
Another good tip I find is encouraging pointed toes as they tend to jump higher to get the extra time needed to consciously point and then land. This being said the group I'm mentioning is only 6-8 and I'm not sure what your ages are so this might not work for you!

That's actually the very same age group! Thanks.

Here's a couple things that tend to work for my kids:
- Bunny hops everywhere! (floor, line, road beam, low beam, medium beam, high beam, high beam with road beam on it). Try to have them do a couple in a row with really good technique-- arms by ears, tight core, straight legs, feet together, on tip toes
- LOTS of jumps of any kind on lines and fat beams even if the kids can barely do it on floor. At my gym we have a duct tape line in the beam area and I do nothing but jumps with my beginners (tuck, pike, straddle, split, long jumps).
- Jumping over something on low beam/fat beam/road beam (cones, beanie babies, foam pieces, etc.)
- Also, as someone already said, try getting them comfortable with landings (especially on higher beams).
I tell my kids to jump, try to point their toes in the air, while they jump they bring their arms up, and then when they land they have to bend their knees and have arms out in front.
- Lastly, make sure they know how to fall! This is the biggest fear for kids. In fact you can have them practice jumping off the beam... if they are comfortable with falling then it won't be so bad to try doing something they could fall off on.

Hope this helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back