Challenge cup

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lss17

Proud Parent
Hi does anyone know the mark to score in the challenge cup to quilify for british championship.

Thanks it seems quite low. Do a lot go through?
Last year 4 espiors, 1 junior and 0 seniors so not not really, you have to remember theses kids aren't the amazing next best thing, especially when they are juniors and seniors you get more espiors qualify because there are more kids in this age that are late developers and didn't make compulsory's but are just as good as the compulsory kids now, juniors and seniors tend to just be the kids that are challenge level who are not necessarily trying to qualify to the British but do 'their british' if you get what I mean

Last year 4 espiors, 1 junior and 0 seniors so not not really, you have to remember theses kids aren't the amazing next best thing, especially when they are juniors and seniors you get more espiors qualify because there are more kids in this age that are late developers and didn't make compulsory's but are just as good as the compulsory kids now, juniors and seniors tend to just be the kids that are challenge level who are not necessarily trying to qualify to the British but do 'their british' if you get what I mean

**espoirs, sorry, mixture of autocorrect and not proof reading before I sent

Yeah thanks. I just know a few doing it this year and aren't really sure how it works and age groups for espoirs etc I thought you went onto espoirs after passing complusory levels.

Yeah thanks. I just know a few doing it this year and aren't really sure how it works and age groups for espoirs etc I thought you went onto espoirs after passing complusory levels.
Your right you do, it goes:
Level 4
Level 3
Level 2
Level 1 and British espoir championships in the same year if you pass level 1

Espoir is just the age of the children :)

Espoir is 12 and 13 year olds
Junior is 14 and 15 year olds
Senior is 16+

So am I right thinking that a 13 year old would do espoir even if not passed any complusory level. Just because she is 13 that's what it's called.
Very confusing!!

They would not do the British espoir championships (the elite competition which you can only do through qualifying) but if they are doing challenge up would be in the espoir age group
Espoir is just the age of the child, it's the same as a junior gymnast and a senior gymnast, that doesn't tell you what level they are just their age :)

The qualifying score from Challenge to British is actually pretty high for all 3 age groups... That's an all around score from 4 pieces, without any R&C, on FIG rules, remember.
To give you some perspective, only 40% of seniors at this year's British Champs (10 out of 25 competing) scored over 50 (the senior Challenge qualifying mark), and only 40% of juniors (11 out of 27) scored over 48 (the junior qualifying mark).

So, to qualify to British from Challenge (in the junior & senior age groups at least) you have to score higher than most of the girls who are competing in British.
It's not terribly fair. There is no relegation from British any more, so once you are qualified to the British, you stay there forever, regardless of your scores, while they have made it harder than ever to qualify to British from the Challenge Cup, raising the qualifying score twice in recent years. It seems that, whatever they say about qualifying from Challenge being an alternative to the compulsory path for 'late starters', the elite system still basically geared around girls who start elite gymnastics early enough to pass Compulsory 3 at age 9 or 10, and therefore get to British via the Compulsory route.

Having said all that, however, Challenge Cup is a great comp - National anthem at the start, razzmatazz, etc - a big deal and very exciting. For most of the girls who compete at Challenge, it's the biggest competition they will ever do, they are so proud to be there. And we're extremely proud & happy to watch them.

See you in Guildford!

I think the idea is that now compulsory grades can be taken at any age girls are encouraged to reach the British through passing those rather than Challenge qualification, and that is where clubs should be aiming. Challenge is a great comp in its own right.

So every girl no matter what age qualifies for the British championships if they pass complusory 1

So every girl no matter what age qualifies for the British championships if they pass complusory 1

Yes, the numbers were shocking in each round at the British this year. Would be great to fill it up. There are literally more judges than gymnasts in each round. 7 gymnasts in a round is like watching paint dry. Felt so sorry for them competing in zero atmosphere the first 2 rounds. Long drawn out day. But that is a separate pet peeve. Something to do with the judging requirements from FIG. Bleugh.

Yes, the numbers were shocking in each round at the British this year. Would be great to fill it up. There are literally more judges than gymnasts in each round. 7 gymnasts in a round is like watching paint dry. Felt so sorry for them competing in zero atmosphere the first 2 rounds. Long drawn out day. But that is a separate pet peeve. Something to do with the judging requirements from FIG. Bleugh.

I'd have much preferred to see two fuller rounds rather than three empty rounds at the British this year. I don't recall them doing it that way in previous years. It was such a long day and the last round would have been much better if it had started earlier too- gymnasts were still eating their dinner after the competition at 11pm, and then were competing again early the next morning in finals. I loved the production and staging of the competition though.

Hopefully the numbers will be higher next year with it being an Olympic year.

I really think that the British Gymnastics path has become too convoluted. I would support a level system, similar to the US, whilst maintaining floor and vault and perhaps an X-cel-like or watered down levels alongside national levels. The current system excludes so much talent at such a young age, and it leads to a LACK of depth in the elite levels. If Ludivine Furnon was British, she may have been shunted off to a non-elite path and the gymnastics world would have missed a great!

So only one qualified from junior and one for the seniors for the british championships, I hope more qualify from espoir tomorrow.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back