WAG Flyaway. Technical question.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Talking about the flyaway and the point of release of the bar. I understand it starts at the tap swing, and the release should happen with open shoulders and head NOT looking at the bar.
But should it be with the body hollow, toes up and arms by the ears, or candlestick. If so should it be at horizontal, or 3 o'clock? Or should it be more at 2 o'clock?
Does the gymnasts push back away from the bar or just release as the swing upwards? I ask because I really love to understand the physics behind the skills. I find it sooooooo interesting to see how things progress and why the coach tells my daughter to look at a certain spot, etc.
I asked DD how the release works, and she said she has not figured it out yet, and cannot 'tell' me exactly how it works.....every girl does it differently and I have no idea who is doing it correctly.

Not to mention, understanding the progression also makes me much more patient!

For a flyaway the gymnast should be in a hollow shape up into the release and as they rotate. The gymnast should also push away from the bar as far as I am concerned, as that is how I was taught it to get the rotation moving away from the bar. For the angle it depended on the gymnast I think, because it depends on how much power the gymnast gets from the tap swing and how high they are happy to swing, because some gymnasts won't be happy to swing above horizontal straight away.

Hope that helps

tanget release.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words: Credit to Jerry George:
http://www.amazon.com/Championship-Gymnastics-Biomechanical-Techniques-Shaping/dp/0964195291

In a nutshell: Release shape effects rotation. Swing speed effects height. Release timing effects trajectory. A gymnast needs to balance all of these items to produce the "type" of flyaway required.

Good luck!

Thanks! I think I can understand the many issues at play. I like to know what is going on from watching, this way I can be up to speed, without having to discuss it with her too much.
I catch bars once a week or so, so it's nice to have a basic understanding of what's going on.

View attachment 5693

A picture is worth a thousand words: Credit to Jerry George:
http://www.amazon.com/Championship-Gymnastics-Biomechanical-Techniques-Shaping/dp/0964195291

In a nutshell: Release shape effects rotation. Swing speed effects height. Release timing effects trajectory. A gymnast needs to balance all of these items to produce the "type" of flyaway required.

Good luck!

Do you teach a tuck flyaway first or layout?

Some of my girls seem to not get the tuck! They do great on letting go of the bar and drop to their back, but are afraid to tuck, tuck far to early and hit the bar.

It seems they would have an easier time just letting go and do a layout flyaway!

Layout first, but will compete a tuck if they don't get it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back